Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I’ll be trying out doing a couple of brisket flats on the pellet smoker on Christmas Eve. One for me and one to give my son. Plan on picking up a bag of that Lumberjack hickory for it.

Last edited:
So the St.Louis BBQ Store was pretty cool. They not only carry all flavors of Lumberjack pellets. They carry a wide selection of chips and chunks. Along with a host of sauces, rubs, huge cutting boards, and BBQ tools. They sell Treager pellet grills, several other cool looking grills, and high end offsets.
Also picked up a jar of “brisket rub” and a small tube of pink butcher paper. (They sell larger rolls but I didn’t need that much.) The “rub” is pretty salty, so will be using it as I would plain salt.
Although 40 minutes away, I can see taking the ride in the future 👍
I’ve ordered two certified angus brisket flats. Which I’ll dry brine Friday night and start the smoke Saturday afternoon. It’s supposed to be crazy cold then (high 14) so will be glad I won’t have to be tending a fire. Photos to come….

Last edited:
The boys for tomorrow’s cook. Fair sized flats, about 6-7 pounds each.
0FB8A5DA-FC09-46CB-B859-37A4E45E33B2.jpeg

Used that rub I bought as the “salt” and used white pepper instead of black pepper for an Albino rub. Used mustard on the meat side and olive oil on the fat side.

87DC5FCC-E03E-4E97-A140-5DA7E6D1A6B0.jpeg

They were trimmed fairly well. Took of just a bit more fat and trimmed off some thin parts. Meat is Certified Angus.

Likely get them on the pellet smoker around 1pm tomorrow. It’s Arctic cold here, (single negative digits) High tomorrow warmer at 15-20F.

Interested in the process. Temp and cook time. I've got a big green egg I am wanting to do a brisket flat on. Hope it turns out great!!

Thanks. My plan is to start smoking them at 225, for an hour, then move up to 250 for another hour, then at 300 for the rest of the cook. When I hit the stall, wrap them in butcher paper and cook till they hit 195-200.
Unfortunately we won’t be eating them right off the smoker, so I’ll unwrap them and let them sit for about an hour, then wrap again in plastic wrap, and put in the fridge.
One will be reheated in the oven in a covered pan with some beef stock for Christmas dinner, the other one I’m giving to my son as a present. 🎁
Photos and review to come

Pretty much matches my plan (except for the multi-temp ramp-ups). I do 225 throughout and if I have time, I don't crutch. For some reason, that doesn't happen often. After the crutch, I end soon enough to put it back into the smoker for an hour (without foil) to firm the crust back up again (crutching makes it soggy).

^ normally how I do brisket.

As we’ll be reheating one tomorrow, I can firm up the bark by running it under the broiler for a bit after it’s been heated in the oven. (I’ll add some beef broth to the pan when reheating)
Going by how pellet smokers work, and the fact the ambient air temperature today will be 12 degrees, I’m expecting the grill to compensate for that by burning more pellets than it would on a warm day…. Thus putting out more smoke.

So, all went well until the last hour or so of the cook when the display on my Pit Boss went blank. It still seemed to be running as per my settings, so I added a grate probe to make sure the temperature setting was working. Not sure if was the cold (19 here) or some other malfunction. But, I pushed ahead. Did not bother to wrap the briskets, just kept going. One hit 194 about an hour ahead of the other one. They looked good and smell great, but won’t know until tomorrow how one of them tastes. Pics off the smoker:
866734FE-9070-4792-8E89-0BBCF1DCD991.jpeg

E45ACEEF-C4A5-4A0D-97AF-234E18C2B53F.jpeg

First one, which finished first, goes to my son. Second one we will have tomorrow.

Have heard horror stories about getting service or parts for Pit Boss smokers. Hopefully the dead panel will get replaced without too much drama.

Last edited:
1E5B9A3D-49D3-481E-BEFA-F3320275E91C.jpeg
Christmas present from my son. 2 bottles of my favorite scotch.

Anyway we didn’t get into having the brisket today. So will likely freeze and incorporate into future meals.
Son took his home, will report later on his impressions.

On another note, the three cheeses I smoked a few weeks back were tested on Christmas. The smoked cheddar was great, especially on a sandwich. The other two were good too. Definitely going to do this again (but will pick a much colder day) 😉

Hey gang. Glad the Lumberjack pellets are giving good results after my recco. I snagged a couple bags of their apple wood pellets last time I was in town, so I’ll let you know how those work out.

We lost power on December 23rd. Had some extremely high winds, over 75 mph in gusts, that took down a lot of trees, and with it some power lines. Hooked up our emergency generator, which gives us heat, well water, refrigerators and freezers, but no hot water or indoor cooking stove. Going to rewire the sub-panel and put the heat-pump water heater into it for future power outages so we can take showers.

Had a Christmas miracle and got our power restored at 2PM on Christmas Day, just in time for me to plug in the PBV and toss in a nice Ribeye roast that I had ordered ahead of time from Wild Fork. Smoked it with the Lumber Jack Hickories too. Came out oh-so-good. Green Mountain Power really came through for us this time. I was contemplating plugging the pellet smoker into the generator, but didn’t know how the electronics would react to a non-sinewave generator. Kind of glad that I didn’t have to test it. Could have smoked it on the offset, but it was way too cold outside for that. Gas grille was the third option.

The Pit Boss smokers have a 5 year limited warranty, but I’m not sure how responsive they are. I had the igniter burn out (after 2 years of regular use) and just ordered up a couple from Amazon. Easy and cheap enough to do that. For a control board I’d have gone through the warranty process.

I’ve got a Pork Loin roast on my PBV right now for tonight’s dinner. Really digging the amount of smoke flavor I can get from the vertical compared to the horizontal pellet grille, and just as convenient.

Like the look of the brisket posted above. Oddly even though I have been using the smoker years I have never done a brisket. Should fix that.

Smoked a ham Christmas morning. Turned out okay. No complaints, but have had and have done better. I use a propane vertical. It was cold, not sure if it was out of the single digits that morning, but I installed insulating panels on it a few weeks ago when smoking venison back straps. Good thing I did. In the past when smoking in real cold temps I had trouble with even temps within smoker and had to run the heat a lot higher. No problem this time at all. The smoker ran similar both in regards to how high I had to run the heat and how stable it kept the temps.

This opens up the possibility of smoking pretty much all winter long if I want to bother setting up everything in the cold. I keep it in the garage so have to haul it out and set up every time I smoke. In all likelihood I will do it anyway. No such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Brisket is more of a challenge, but one should give it a go. My son reports the brisket I gave him was good. For the money I’d pick a point cut over a flat cut….unless you want to do a whole brisket.
As long as you have a good temperature probe to monitor the cooking chamber ambient temperatures aren’t that big of a deal. I’ve smoked meats in below freezing temperatures, not really noticed a problem.
Pellet smokers burn until set temperatures are reached, and UDS smokers seems to conserve heat fairly well.
My reverse offset may require a bit more fuel when outside temps are low, but never noticed an issue in maintaining temperatures.
So I will use my smokers no matter the conditions. Best ribs I’ve done were smoked on a 20 degree day.
I will admit that brisket isn’t my favorite meat to smoke. Just not a big fan of brisket sandwiches. However I love using it for other dishes…especially chili.
I’m more of a pork guy. Love pulled pork…be it sandwiches or tacos (yes!) or Mac and Cheese. Doing ribs is why I got into smoking to start with. There’s nothing better than some slow cooked baby backs as far as I’m concerned. 😉 (or other pork ribs)
Pork loins, tenderloins, and brats run a close second. I do love my bacon wrapped chicken thighs too….
I guess when it comes to beef, I just like a good fillet, or strip steak.

EDIT 1/2/2023…
Looks like the display on my pellet grill is working now. My thoughts here is the ambient temperature of 15 degrees that day are to blame for it not working. If it uses a liquid crystal display it’s quite possible the “liquid” just froze. Anyway just glad I don’t have to deal with getting a replacement. 👍

Last edited:
Funny you should mention using brisket in chili. I found a great recipe online for “Texas Brisket Chili” and I had a 3 lb. brisket flat that had been sitting in the chest freezer for over a year. I had scored a bunch of points and flats for $3 lb. And stashed it away.

No beans in Texas chili. Just lots of cubed brisket, browned in the pot, then simmered with tomatoes and beef stock and spices for three hours on the stove top. I didn’t have any Texas Chili Powder as called for in the recipe. I did order up some Gebhardt Chili Powder on Amazon, but it won’t be here for another week or so. So I substituted McCormack Dark Chili Powder this time. I’m sure the Gebhardt would be even better.

Not very spicy hot, but very beefy. I think the coffee adds to that flavor too. There is an option to heat it up with Tabasco sauce addition at the end, but I opted to just add 1/4 tsp of Cayenne powder with the other spices for a subtle heat. Can always add Tabasco individually.

Boy, oh boy! Best chili I’ve ever eaten. Recommend that recipe highly.

Dice up 1 serrano pepper (gut it of seeds and lining if you're a wimp). Use about 1/4 level tsp for a pot. More reliable heat that jalapenos and a better flavor imo.

Funny you should mention it, but I’m making a large crockpot of brisket chili (with beans) today. Thawing out my flat in the oven in a covered pan with 2 cups of beef broth.
Using my six different beans, green and yellow pepper, chipotle, chili powder, fresh garlic, diced tomatoes with green chilies, fresh ginger, yellow onion, and a few secret ingredients.
One of our neighbors was taken to the hospital this week with a “cardiac event”, they thought it was just a blockage, but they couldn’t find one. Diagnosis is his heart is just bad. ☹️ He’s home now, so decided to make a huge pot of chili and give him some, as he said “I’m always ready for your chili” when I suggested it. Guy lives alone, and we now worry about him.
The rest of the chili will of course be our dinner too….😉
434B7EBA-F910-4A0E-A8B7-7A0CCF2AC2C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Brisket is more of a challenge, but one should give it a go. My son reports the brisket I gave him was good. For the money I’d pick a point cut over a flat cut….unless you want to do a whole brisket.
As long as you have a good temperature probe to monitor the cooking chamber ambient temperatures aren’t that big of a deal. I’ve smoked meats in below freezing temperatures, not really noticed a problem.
Pellet smokers burn until set temperatures are reached, and UDS smokers seems to conserve heat fairly well.
My reverse offset may require a bit more fuel when outside temps are low, but never noticed an issue in maintaining temperatures.
So I will use my smokers no matter the conditions. Best ribs I’ve done were smoked on a 20 degree day.
I will admit that brisket isn’t my favorite meat to smoke. Just not a big fan of brisket sandwiches. However I love using it for other dishes…especially chili.
I’m more of a pork guy. Love pulled pork…be it sandwiches or tacos (yes!) or Mac and Cheese. Doing ribs is why I got into smoking to start with. There’s nothing better than some slow cooked baby backs as far as I’m concerned. 😉 (or other pork ribs)
Pork loins, tenderloins, and brats run a close second. I do love my bacon wrapped chicken thighs too….
I guess when it comes to beef, I just like a good fillet, or strip steak.

EDIT 1/2/2023…
Looks like the display on my pellet grill is working now. My thoughts here is the ambient temperature of 15 degrees that day are to blame for it not working. If it uses a liquid crystal display it’s quite possible the “liquid” just froze. Anyway just glad I don’t have to deal with getting a replacement. 👍

To be honest, ribs are my favorite thing to put into the smoker. I really like everything I have ever tried, but if I had to pick one thing it would be hands down baby backs. Less time commitment, most dependably good results and nobody ever says no to smoked ribs. Except, now that I think about it, I have a granddaughter who does not like ribs. Or most any meat for that matter. Weird, such a good girl otherwise. My daughter is vaguely annoyed at me because my granddaughter will eat my chicken, especially off the grill, but will usually decline to eat hers. Chicken fajitas for the win!

@Knifemaker - it looks like you are using smoked brisket in your chili recipe. It looks to be fully cooked. How do you use it? Put it in at the end of the beans cooking? Or earlier? How much beef flavor do you get vs. smoke flavor?

The recipe I linked to has you brown the cubed raw brisket in the stew pot in bacon fat, so you get all the flavor from the browning stuck on the bottom. Plus you throw in the bacon that you used to make the bacon fat.

I’d have to agree with Nowheelies, pork ribs are my favorite BBQ item. I do love a good sliced Brisket or Beef Ribs too, but for the money pork is hard to beat. I throw a pork tenderloin on the pellet smoker about once a week. So cheap, so easy, and so good to eat.