snow tonight in going to the sun highay

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don2334

Reaction score
I just finished watching the weather and they are prediction 1 to 3 inches of snow tonight on the going to the sun highway.

Don

I just talked to Carl/Karl in the Sawtooth range in Idaho...looking for upper 20s in the AM.

Here in Wheaton it's 96 degrees and 40mph wind gusts today.

So, it's either very warm or very cold outside your door. Stay safe everybody...don't be slippin' on no black ice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wheatie,

Thanks for the road report via Karl. Leaving Boise in the AM to Salmon on 21-75-93, so we'll have an extra cup of java to let things warm up a bit. Keeping fingers crossed the GTTS road is open by Wed. Yeah, I know, keep dreaming!

Have fun.

motorcyclesnowplow.jpg

I knew I should have packed the knobbies. According to the Glacier National Park Plowing Report the crews are doing the final clean up and they are projecting a mid-week opening for the GTTS highway. I'm in Cody, WY and am planning to run the Beartooth Pass this morning and then run along the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway on my way over to St Ignatius, MT. I am hoping I have a reservation. When I called last night the guy on the phone sounded pretty drunk and was doing a pretty fair Bust impersonation.

UPDATE:

Just watched the weather report from KECI, Missoula, MT, and they advised the following weather for the Glacier NP area today:

Logan Pass - 1 - 3 inches of snow

Glacier National Park 4 - 7 inches above 7000 feet.

All over North West Montana highs in the 60's lows in the 30's.

Glacier National Park has received 35 inches of snow fall since Memorial Day!

The good news is that day time highs should be in the 80's by Thursday!!!

BTW in Salmon, ID right now it's about 43º (7:00 AM)

I spent a couple years living in north dakota next to the canadian border and owning a motorcycle but no car for my only transportation so I no longer ride in the extreem cold unless it is unavoidable.

I dont have enough cold weather gear and try to avoid most of the cold weather riding so i need a new site for weather please.

I've been using intellacast but it seems to be useless north of the border.

I spent a couple years living in north dakota next to the canadian border and owning a motorcycle but no car for my only transportation so I no longer ride in the extreem cold unless it is unavoidable.

I dont have enough cold weather gear and try to avoid most of the cold weather riding so i need a new site for weather please.

I've been using intellacast but it seems to be useless north of the border.
I use the Environment Canada site, usually pretty accurate. https://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-21_metric_e.html

BTW It says 30C for the Friday hot springs ride.

Al.

thanks, those 2 sites work for allmost everything i wanted.

the only thing they don't give me is hourly forcast so I can better pick when I want to leave the warmth of my hotel. [being a real wuss like me]

UPDATE:

Just watched the weather report from KECI, Missoula, MT, and they advised the following weather for the Glacier NP area today:

Logan Pass - 1 - 3 inches of snow

Glacier National Park 4 - 7 inches above 7000 feet.

All over North West Montana highs in the 60's lows in the 30's.

Glacier National Park has received 35 inches of snow fall since Memorial Day!

The good news is that day time highs should be in the 80's by Thursday!!!

BTW in Salmon, ID right now it's about 43º (7:00 AM)

I left Idaho Falls this morning with 46 degrees and sun. Went through Salmon about noon with it being about 60 degrees. Ate lunch by the river just out of town-- really nice weather-- no cross/head winds for the first time in 4 days. Missoula will be a bit chilly in the morning, but I am not complaining-- could be home in the 90s with high humidity.

We left Yellowstone this morning at 36. I had to brush snow off the bike. The park was beautifull today. In Shelby MT for the night heading to GTTSR tomorrow and Castlegar. Website said all roads are open. What a great ride today.

Tyler and I are in Elkford tonight and we rode "going to the sun" highway today. It was lovely, but fairly busy. It opened yesterday around noon. We also rode to Many Glaciers as well. Today was a good day! Castlegar tomorrow, the long way!! :yahoo: