So, maybe you don't want a Gen 3 YCC-S

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mac,Did you ever get your YCC-S problem resolved by the dealer? i have an '06 and discover if the foot switch sensor is out of adjustment or is damaged from all the road crap it will stop all functions of the system. Also a low battery voltagewill prevent operation. Remember to never take the pivot bolt out before removing the sensor. Don't ask, Ha.

Let us know..

12Tinker
Possibly resolved. They did find a stored error on the gear position sensor, consistent with it only throwing a wobbly in 4th gear (as far as I remember). They made the MCU re-learn the gear positions, and since then it's not reoccurred, although I've not done many miles. If it doesn't show a problem during my next significant trip (probably not until the end of May), I'll consider it cured.
"AE" is Yamaha newspeak lingo for "devil's spawn". I know this is true because I read it on the internet, right here!

(how many times did you click that link?)
I'm prepared to put up with the devil's spawn, it's the only way I can continue to ride a real motorcycle. My clutch hand simply cannot pull a clutch lever for more than two or three times before it is too painful to continue. My last ride on my Trophy finished with me doing clutchless gearchanges while moving, finding neutral or stalling when stopping, and to move off, having a stopped engine, selecting 1st or 2nd and pressing the starter button. This was 2006 when the AS (AE to you) was first available.
I know my hand is still bad, a couple of years ago I rode my son's bike (then a Hornet) three miles into town to a workshop. Not too bad on the way in, traffic was light, but taking it back traffic was heavier. I was in (mostly) silent screaming agony by the time I reached his house.

I'm sticking with my spawn :devilsmiley: , even with the odd hiccup.

Last edited by a moderator:
mistaken post ... double sigh....

I still wonder about the Honda DCTs.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I could buy one like yours, I would.

I have had my first gout attack in the last four years this past two weeks. I finally sucked it up and went in to get the steroid dosepak and the indomethacin Thursday. That was a good move. Until the steroids are done, I could shift anything.

But an FJR like yours would be perfect, with or without gout. Keep on keepin' on. 😙

I still wonder about the Honda DCTs.
I have a Honda DCT in my garage and it works great. The wife had left ankle surgery and then got the Honda NC700XD. No shift lever and no clutch lever makes it easy on her. I ride it occasionally because she's more of a fair weather rider than me and I hate to see a motorcycle sit unused. I don't like that it upshifts too early for my tastes, but you force it to hold gears longer with sport mode or put it in manual and it won't shift at all until you hit the paddle. And I find myself grabbing the air clutch when coming to a stop. ;) But the trani works flawlessly.