So that's what 0 psi at 80 mph feels like!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwhd

Reaction score
I'm closing in on 200k miles of lifetime riding (started very late :rolleyes: ) but last night was my first experience with losing a tire at speed. :eek:

I was heading home from yet another late-night fix of some crisis or another at my mother in law's house when I started smelling burning rubber. I was doing 75-80 on the Interstate south of down town Ft. Worth and it was after midnight. Not the place you want to break down...

Just about the time I started believing the burning rubber was from car in front of me, I noticed the bike was not wanting to steer when I was changing lanes. That was the first indication I had that the front tire had gone completely flat. I managed to make it to the shoulder without dropping the bike (it only wobbled at very low speed) and then limp it to a gas station at the next exit. That station was closing and the owners indicated as they drove off that I did NOT want to be hanging around there after they left. Great...

I couldn't find the puncture and anyway, I'd left my tire kit on the other bike (especially dumb given that bike has tube tires. D'oh!). Fortunately, I've got a good trailer and even better friends and they came and got me.

I rode the bike another couple of miles at walking speed looking for a safer place to wait for them and that front Storm never popped off the bead or gave me any trouble at all. Damn near a run-flat tire!

Lesson 1 - Listen to your brain when it senses something wrong.

Lesson 2 - Don't leave home without puncture kit and air pump.

FWIW, my massive home construction project was the culprit. I've been trying very hard to keep the drive free of nails but I managed to cut the tire on one anyway. It just took a while to fail.

You weren't riding on rim were ya?
No. The bead remained intact and the sidewalls were sufficiently stiff to prevent any touch down of the rim. No nicks or scrapes I can see anyway. I will ask the shop to inspect it to be safe. Thanks.

Update - I ended up with a BT021 as that's all I could find on hand today and get installed TODAY.

BTW - Grapevine Kawasaki is an awesome dealership - below internet prices on tires and very reasonable (and competent) installation.

Guess I'll run mixed tires until the rear Storm wears out and then get a 021 back there too. I'll then have a good comparison on three brands total for the bike.

Finally, time to really eat crow - It was not a puncture, it was the cheap ass angled valve stem (second one to fail). Lesson learned - listen to my FJR brethren when they tell me not to cheap out.

Note to self......."self.......continue using regular PIA valve stems and do not change over to angled when changing the next set of avons".

Last edited by a moderator:
note to Odot:

"Angled is okay. Cheap angled-bad. Call Bike Effects."

Is there a concern, (that I missed) regarding right angle stems? Way back (on this board) they were touted as the best thing since whatever. I purchased a set from B.E. and got the whine when I brought them to be mounted. Proper installation, inspection and maintenence should keep them in a safe and reliable codition. FYI as of 08 most passenger vehicle's equipped with factory tire pressure monitor system's are constructed in the same manner (two or three piece with sealing gasket and locknut) construction. Off highway equipment has been using this design for years. Are there some fact's indicating that they are not suitable for motorcycle application??

hey Todd, how many miles did you get on the that cheap valve stem before it gave out?

and i'm surprised they said that to you about where you were. the east side scares me way more than the south side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a concern, (that I missed) regarding right angle stems? Way back (on this board) they were touted as the best thing since whatever. I purchased a set from B.E. and got the whine when I brought them to be mounted. Proper installation, inspection and maintenence should keep them in a safe and reliable codition. FYI as of 08 most passenger vehicle's equipped with factory tire pressure monitor system's are constructed in the same manner (two or three piece with sealing gasket and locknut) construction. Off highway equipment has been using this design for years. Are there some fact's indicating that they are not suitable for motorcycle application??
Reading Comprehension 101:

Finally, time to really eat crow - It was not a puncture, it was the cheap ass angled valve stem (second one to fail). Lesson learned - listen to my FJR brethren when they tell me not to cheap out.
And:

"Angled is okay. Cheap angled-bad. Call Bike Effects."

I bought the $5 CycleGear specials (angled valve stems). The rear failed at 4500 miles, the front at 6000. The solid metal (and lower profile) units from Bike Effects should work much better.

And yes, the East side Ft. Worth can be even worse ;-)

Tire monitor is now on my short list.

To heck with cheap angled valve stems! Bought some high priced stems from Jeff at Bike Effects, they have never let me down, 55k miles later..

..BTW - do dou still have that nice looking AirHead?