So there I was...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric B

Reaction score
On Wednesday, I decided it was time to get some maintenance done on my 2008. Within the first few minutes, I already had a problem, I stripped the two fuel tank front mount bolts while trying to remove them. Shit! Some dipshit (me), must have over-tightened them the last time the tank was off. So I went about to attempt to drill off the heads and got almost no where. Off to Home Depot I went to get proper drill bits.

With some cobalt bits, I got the bolt heads drilled of in just a few minutes and was lucky to find the shanks loose and they spun rights out. Crisis averted, but I had to order the bolts and I don't get them until Friday. Removing the crash bars and fairing went well, so I drained the coolant to do a change and continued to remove the necessary parts to perform the valve check. As I went to remove the valve cover, I found out I didn't have a good allen wrench to reach the forward outboard bolts. Back to Home Depot.

With a new assortment of allen wrenches, I got those last two bolts and the valve check went well. As I went to reinstall the valve cover, I couldn't keep the gasket in place. No problem, I'll just use a little RTV. Crap, my RTV is too old and dried up. Off to AutoZone.

RTV worked and reassembly went well. Next, I went to fill the coolant. I thought the jug I had in the garage was open because I topped of a car. Nope. As I started to pour it into the expansion tank, I could see that it was the old stuff from the last change! At least I didn't pour it in the radiator. Back to AutoZone!

After I got the coolant filled, the throttle body sync and the oil change went smooth. I had no problems getting the fairings and crash bars back on, either. After almost 10 hours(for maybe 5 hours worth of work), the FJR is back together and ready to go, except for the dang fuel tank bolts!

The good part of all of this is that I have plenty of time being retired from the USAF and it is winter, so I am not missing too much good riding time.

After I stripped my front fuel mounting bolts, I now use anti seize. I also push forward on the fuel tank when tightening or loosening, so the bracket doesn't strip the threads. Finally, no need to crank these down tight.

You should have picked up the bolts at Home Depot while you were there and you would be done.

That sounds exactly like my home projects-- multiple trips to Lowes. Wifey knows to NOT engage in conversation with me when attempting said projects. :(

I have purchased the fuel tank bolts twice. Both times they have come in oversize and don't fit the bike. I hope you have better luck.

Dave

I stripped those same bolts on mine. They are very soft and it's easy to do. I whipped out my dremel with a tiny cutting wheel attached. It's a very tight working space in there so, I masked the hell out of everything around it. Especially the tank that right there! I gently cut a slot in the heads for a screwdriver to fit in. The new bolts I ordered seemed to be harder than the originals. Hudson is correct! Those bolts do not need to be super tight. All has been well ever since. :)

When performing DIY maintenance on your motorcycle, why would you be concerned in the least about how long it took you? It's quality time spent with your pride and joy. So what if it took you 10 hours to do 5 hours work? That's just double the pleasure!

Now all that driving around to fetch parts and tools, yeah that must have sucked! ;)

Yeah, it was just one of those days. I decided to share since most people here can probably relate. I posted more for the entertainment than anything. And yes, it was still good time spent in the garage with the bike versus doing random tasks around the house!

Sounds like time well spent.

Even with the extra time it took, you know the jobs have been done correctly and you saved BIG $$.

And you verified, yet again, what we all know to be true: no matter how carefully you plan and prepare, there is no such thing as ONE trip to the hardware/auto parts store.

It is the law, like gravity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I think we've all had projects like that

Gives me an idea (to the folks at Home Depot, you can either PM me for details on where to send the payment or just apply a credit to my account): Wouldn’t it be great if Home Depot/Lowe’s/Canadian Tire (had to throw that in) had a fleet of “project trucks”? I’m thinking of something like the Snap-On Tools trucks you see driving around but with different themes – they could have a “landscaping truck,” a “Plumbing Truck,” an “automotive repair” truck, etc. Each truck would be fully-stocked with pretty much anything you could possibly need for that type of project. You would book the truck for a half-day or whatever time you think your project is going to take (not factoring in time driving to the store) and the truck and driver/sales associate would pull up at your garage door and sit there waiting for you to realize what you’re missing. Maybe with your booking fee you get your first tamper-resistant torx driver free!

Okay, never gonna happen, but admit it – it sounds kinda nice doesn’t it?

Very nice. And like most nice things, it also sounds very expensive!

Which is also sort of (totally!) contrary to the Home Despot business model: Cheap stuff sold cheap.

Example: In December I was shopping for wood pellets (for heat). HD has the low price on Maine Woods brand pellets in this neck of the (ahem) woods, just $219 a ton. That's heat for 50 days here in Cow Hampsha) But that price is cash and carry and I do not have a truck that can haul a ton pallet load of pellets even the lousy mile from The Despot to my house. "How much to deliver?" says I, to the lady person at the front desk. Oh we have a flat rate delivery fee of $65.

Ah... What? Oh never-mind. (I have no room for much more than a ton in the garage. Have to keep room for the bikes!!!)

So I went to the local (Benson's) True Value hardware store, and scored the same fricken' pellets for $240 a ton but just a $10 flat rate delivery fee. Guy even had a sweet fork truck hangin' off the end of the flatbed and dropped 'em right where I wanted. Saved money, got better service, and supported a local outfit instead of the monolithic monopoly that is ruining Lumber Yards and Hardware stores across the nation. I'll admit that I was tempted by their $219 entry fee and would have sold my soul for the 219 rate. I'm just a pellet slut.

Yeah, it was just one of those days. I decided to share since most people here can probably relate. I posted more for the entertainment than anything. And yes, it was still good time spent in the garage with the bike versus doing random tasks around the house!
Ha! Glad it all worked out well. I too am a retired military pilot and my flight engineers told me the scariest thing is a 2nd Lt with a clipboard or a pilot with a wrench in hand. LOL! C-130 Bill

I'm just a pellet slut.
I wasn't going to say anything but since you said it...that's what I've heard.
tonguesmiley.gif

I'm so lucky I have a Home Depot, an AutoZone and a WalMart within walking distance. Getting in the truck to go is the biggest pain. It's good to know I'm not the only one. I almost always forget something.

Do yourself a favor by changing out those tank screws [bolts] for some stainless socket head cap screws. Nice tidy SS washer under each and it'll look [as nice] as factory!

Good luck!

--G

When performing DIY maintenance on your motorcycle, why would you be concerned in the least about how long it took you? It's quality time spent with your pride and joy. So what if it took you 10 hours to do 5 hours work? That's just double the pleasure!
Quality time is spent in the saddle, not with a wrench in your hand and curse words coming out of your mouth.
biggrin.png

I want to ask if you're going to bleed your brakes next but don't know if I should.
Shoulda posted this on my thread.

I swear, the entire first post sounds like something I would have written. Multiple trips to the store is my MO.