Sold FJR, New BMW in the Stable

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelhead

Reaction score
I finally got the FJR sold and delivered and wasted no time getting the bike I "plan" on keeping for years to come. The FJR is a fine machine, but the fun stopped when the pavement ended. I plan on touring a lot of remote northern Ontario this summer and this will fit the bill quite well :clapping:

DSCN3741.jpg

DSCN3738.jpg

DSCN3735.jpg

I will check back from time to time and met some very good people from this site. You can always find me on advrider under the same username

Steelhead,

I don't know if you noticed this, but half of your rear swing arm is missing ....

But hey, less is more, right?

Seriously - Very Nice Bike - Enjoy!

We expect to see links to pics in the future - OK ?

Cool looking bike. I like how you have it set up with a single seat, to make more room for cargo. If I ever move to a place that isn't all paved roads I have thought a bike like that would be nice.

nice bike. stay in touch. i'll be interested in reading your trip reports.

keep your dealer happy and his phone number in your wallet so the nearest dealer in CA can contact them if you have a final drive failure while on ride-about. :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice bike. Too bad I can't afford one of those...and one of those...and one of those...and one of those...while keeping my FJR, of course!

Nice bike steelhead. I can see going that route.

But are you old enough for a BMW? I thought they were just for the over the hill gang... :rolleyes:

Pardon me if I appear ignorant (which will be a first, let me assure you. . . :whistle: ) but I've always wanted to know what the duck-bill nose does for these bikes. The wheel has a fender. What do you need that thing sticking out front for?

But are you old enough for a BMW? I thought they were just for the over the hill gang... :rolleyes:
Haha Fred, I am 41 and feel every day of it :blink: The suspension travel make this bike ride like a caddy on the slab and is quite impressive in the twisties also. I am going to hit some dirt roads this weekend for an intro to the slippery stuff.

I think the whole FD failure thing is a bit over blown. You will get the guys that it has happened to plaster it all over the web any chance they get. I have many friends with GS's with well over 100k and no such problem. If it does happen it will be covered by warranty. I intend to ride the piss out of this bike like it was intended.

Very nice bike. I have :dribble: over one of these in many of dealer show rooms. Are you a member of the Adventure riders forum yet?. I would love to have a GS next to the FJR one day.

Haha Fred, I am 41 and feel every day of it :blink: The suspension travel make this bike ride like a caddy on the slab and is quite impressive in the twisties also. I am going to hit some dirt roads this weekend for an intro to the slippery stuff.

I think the whole FD failure thing is a bit over blown. You will get the guys that it has happened to plaster it all over the web any chance they get. I have many friends with GS's with well over 100k and no such problem. If it does happen it will be covered by warranty. I intend to ride the piss out of this bike like it was intended.

41? You are a sprightly Youth!! Hell, when I was 41 I still had a 32" waistline. :D

Oh, and I've had my BMWs already. I had a K100RT back in that day (early 90's) and I tried an R1100RS 2 years ago. That one was really close to hitting home. Handled well enough for sure (much lighter than a FJR) but it was NOT smooth running. I had a need for 4 cylinders.

Hopefully it works out better for you. I can see me riding a K bike again, maybe a nice K1200RS... used vintage.

Oh, and don't go away just cause you've gone over the Bavarian side... We'll still gladly put up with your kind around here. :rolleyes:

Pardon me if I appear ignorant (which will be a first, let me assure you. . . :whistle: ) but I've always wanted to know what the duck-bill nose does for these bikes. The wheel has a fender. What do you need that thing sticking out front for?
Gunny that.

Gunny that.

Yeah... that's why my F650 is actually a Pegaso. No silly duck bill:

Piccy

You will love your new bike.

The GS is probably the neatest bike BMW ever built. I love BMW's too. But the final drive thing is not overblown. Neither is the mainteance thing. I lost a final drive on my BMW RT at 11,000 miles. Warranty did cover it like you said, but bottom line is BMW's are the greatest bikes you can buy, there are but they cost a lot to maintain and repair. If you are tolerant of the expense and inconvenience, there are no better bikes. And I'd say there is no better BMW than the 1200GS, it is the best of the best.

I'll probably take the plunge again one of these days too. Those German bikes are that good.

Congratulations on a Great Great bike. Keep your wallet in good shape though, you'll need it.

I've never ridden the newer 1200 GS but have the 1150..great bikes. I have a friend who is somewhere in Mexico (rode from Tennessee) now on his 1200GS. My only real problem with them (besides the cost) is the horrible dealer network (which I think is getting worse). I think you'll enjoy the bike and hopefully there is a dealer close to you.

Gary