Sold FJR, New BMW in the Stable

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After seeing the Pegaso I now know why BMW added the duckbill. Way cool. :clapping:

Huh? You must be joking, right? Everyone I've ever talked to agrees the Pegaso is much better looking that the F650.

But I suppose beauty is subjective. If you actually like the duckbill look, more power to ya' :blink:

Was checking one of those out at the IMS bike show in San Mateo yesterday. Sweeeeet!. Have fun and report back. PM. <>< :D

Now you have to stop by my place on your next fishing trip to the west side so's I can test drive her.. Nice bike dood :coolsmiley:

:jester:

Now you have to stop by my place on your next fishing trip to the west side so's I can test drive her.. Nice bike dood :coolsmiley:
:jester:
I will do that... Gives me another reason to put more miles on it. This bike is getting better with each passing mile

Steelhead,

This is a sweet looking ride. What does the SS stand for? I know this is a 1200GS, but I've never seen or heard of this SS configuration, it looks badass.

dgfella

After riding motocross bikes for many years, I have a hard time picturing that bike in a dirt environment, but if it works, go for it! Congrats!

I think the whole FD failure thing is a bit over blown. You will get the guys that it has happened to plaster it all over the web any chance they get. I have many friends with GS's with well over 100k and no such problem. If it does happen it will be covered by warranty. I intend to ride the piss out of this bike like it was intended.
You will love your new bike.

The GS is probably the neatest bike BMW ever built. I love BMW's too. But the final drive thing is not overblown. Neither is the mainteance thing. I lost a final drive on my BMW RT at 11,000 miles. Warranty did cover it like you said, but bottom line is BMW's are the greatest bikes you can buy, there are but they cost a lot to maintain and repair. If you are tolerant of the expense and inconvenience, there are no better bikes. And I'd say there is no better BMW than the 1200GS, it is the best of the best.

I'll probably take the plunge again one of these days too. Those German bikes are that good.

Congratulations on a Great Great bike. Keep your wallet in good shape though, you'll need it.
Good for you!!!! :clapping:

Can't speak as to the reliability of the BMW bikes, but gotta agree that the GS models are as cool a bike as BMW offers. I've loved 'em since they brought out the bumblebee colors back in <whenever>. Gorgeous bikes and able to do it all.

Expensive to fix? Got me. I've got a 99 M3 ragtop that is pretty damned reliable but pricey when she needs to be showered with green, but it's just part of the game with them. I mean, BMW does stand for Break My Wallet, right? :rolleyes:

I'll be looking hard at the GS Adventure at the Long Beach show here pretty soon. No way I can swing that purchase right now--new house, sucky economy, wife only so tolerant--but I can drool on it. Someday.....

You're gonna have a great time riding that bike and I will look forward to seeing your trip reports on AdvRider. Congrats!!! :)

Rancho

I kept the FJR.

Love that GS as well but my onroad time exceeds my off!

IMG_1240.JPG

Thanks for all the good comments. I have been riding some in this very cold weather as of late and have a new love in my life :p The bike is so nimble and handles far better than I ever expected. Plenty of power and cruises nicely at 80 mph. I have been making some tracks in the dirt also and am having a blast. It gives me the freedom to travel my own path which I am really enjoying.

One thing I don't miss from the FJR is the wind buffeting. I didn't realize how bad it was until I got the beemer. I am planning on several long rides this summer and probably to AK in 09.

If you can afford to put one in the garage, go for it. You won't be disapointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the good comments. I have been riding some in this very cold weather as of late and have a new love in my life :p The bike is so nimble and handles far better than I ever expected. Plenty of power and cruises nicely at 80 mph. I have been making some tracks in the dirt also and am having a blast. It gives me the freedom to travel my own path which I am really enjoying.
One thing I don't miss from the FJR is the wind buffeting. I didn't realize how bad it was until I got the beemer. I am planning on several long rides this summer and probably to AK in 09.

If you can afford to put one in the garage, go for it. You won't be disapointed.
Congratulations on your new GS! It will serve you well and these bikes are made for Alaska and Argentina. I bought my 1996 R1100GS in October of 1995 and it has 110,000 miles on it. It has been to the Arctic Circle and to Acapulco, Mexico.

double_entendre is correct however, BMW does stand for Break My Wallet. I bought my first BMW, my 1966 BMW R60/2, in Augsburg, Germany while in the US Army in March of 1969. And I have had a minimum of two in the garage ever since.

But when a BMW does need repairs, be prepared for sticker shock in the difference from Yamaha FJR parts to BMW goodies!

I also own a 2005 BMW R1150RT and have a 2008 BMW F800GS arriving next May. If I may suggest, consider joining BMW Motorcycle Owners of America at www.bmwmoa.org and start monitoring the forum. Mechanic Paul Glaves, husband of Voni - Iron Butt Rally Competitor, writes really great articles regarding care and maintenance required for the Oil/Hexheads.

Buffeting on the FJR is caused by trying to hide behind the windshield. That is not an option on your new bike. If you are willing to keep your head up in the clean airstream there is no buffeting on any FJR either. We all try to reach cold weather nirvana with a big-ass windshield. I'm still looking, BTW. Can you point me toward nirvana?

FWIW, I never get any buffeting on my VFR800 or Pegaso either. Of course my head and shoulders are way up into the clean air flow on both of those, just like you GS. But, funny thing is, when the weather is cold I jump on the FJR every time. :)

As to Break My Wallet, if you have an M3 you probably already realize this, but I have owned 4 different BMW cars over the years and have come to realize that they are actually quite easy to work on, for the most part. Parts are widely available, both OE and aftermarket, and the prices online are not all that different, compared to Asian car parts.

Where most BMW owners go horribly wrong is when they bring them to the stealerships for service. They are the ones trying to break your wallet. Knd of like the Yamaha dealerships, service quality is spotty, expensive, and unreliable. When I do have work that is beyond my capability I have an independant BMW wrench that is quite good and reasonable at $70 an hour. The stealerships are about double that around here.

I'm betting the same can be found for Break My Wallet motorcycles. When I owned my 2 beemers (K100RT and R1100RS) neither ever needed to see a pro wrench at all. DIY is the way to go (if you are capable).

Buffeting on the FJR is caused by trying to hide behind the windshield. That is not an option on your new bike.
I can hide behind the windshield on my GSA and still minimal buffeting if any. In the full up position I get excellent protection imho. It also has "winglets" on both side of the screen that may be helping with the smooth air flow?? Combine that with hand guards and heated grips with heated vest, I am quite toasty :)

I went through 4 different screens on the FJR and as you said Fred, the only thing that helped was lowering any screen all the way down to get clean air on the helmet.

I can hide behind the windshield on my GSA and still minimal buffeting if any. In the full up position I get excellent protection imho.
If you can get behind that windscreen you must be a midget or laying on the tank. With no lower farings to speak of, the windsield appears to be almost all of the frontal protection you get. So naturally the airflow will be less concentrated above the windshield.

But one could argue that there is no NEED to get behind anything for protection so long as you have adequate cold weather gear on.

Congratulations on your new GS! It will serve you well and these bikes are made for Alaska and Argentina. I bought my 1996 R1100GS in October of 1995 and it has 110,000 miles on it. It has been to the Arctic Circle and to Acapulco, Mexico.

double_entendre is correct however, BMW does stand for Break My Wallet. I bought my first BMW, my 1966 BMW R60/2, in Augsburg, Germany while in the US Army in March of 1969. And I have had a minimum of two in the garage ever since.

But when a BMW does need repairs, be prepared for sticker shock in the difference from Yamaha FJR parts to BMW goodies!

I also own a 2005 BMW R1150RT and have a 2008 BMW F800GS arriving next May. If I may suggest, consider joining BMW Motorcycle Owners of America at www.bmwmoa.org and start monitoring the forum. Mechanic Paul Glaves, husband of Voni - Iron Butt Rally Competitor, writes really great articles regarding care and maintenance required for the Oil/Hexheads.
Would that I could afford to put a GS in my garage. Someday...... :)

Not only are BMW parts more expensive IME, but also aftermarket parts for BMWs are more expensive. I just got the car out of the local shop (dealer no more for me) after new brakes & suspension all the way around plus a bunch of other shit. Pricey stuff, even if you're not using factory parts. Though sometimes the factory stuff is the way to go because the quality is significantly higher. I tend to trust my local guy to tell me when to go factory & when not to.

I don't do a lot of DIY stuff on the M--I detest crawling around on the ground under the car. If I had a ditch to work from I might consider it, but no way I'm gonna do a clutch without a lift--and that's the next big job. I did do the rear window myself recently, but that wasn't too hard to do.

What's your take on the older GS models versus the current? Obviously the new GS models have gained a ton of horsepower, but how relevant is that if I'm never going to cruise above 80mph anyway? What about reliability and the infamous driveshaft issues? The wife might permit a used GS over a new one with less fuss. Maybe. :lol: Ought to poke around the MOA's flea market and see what's believable.

Rancho

[i also own a 2005 BMW R1150RT and have a 2008 BMW F800GS arriving next May. If I may suggest, consider joining BMW Motorcycle Owners of America at www.bmwmoa.org and start monitoring the forum. Mechanic Paul Glaves, husband of Voni - Iron Butt Rally Competitor, writes really great articles regarding care and maintenance required for the Oil/Hexheads.

Would that I could afford to put a GS in my garage. Someday...... :)

Not only are BMW parts more expensive IME, but also aftermarket parts for BMWs are more expensive. I just got the car out of the local shop (dealer no more for me) after new brakes & suspension all the way around plus a bunch of other shit. Pricey stuff, even if you're not using factory parts. Though sometimes the factory stuff is the way to go because the quality is significantly higher. I tend to trust my local guy to tell me when to go factory & when not to.

I don't do a lot of DIY stuff on the M--I detest crawling around on the ground under the car. If I had a ditch to work from I might consider it, but no way I'm gonna do a clutch without a lift--and that's the next big job. I did do the rear window myself recently, but that wasn't too hard to do.

What's your take on the older GS models versus the current? Obviously the new GS models have gained a ton of horsepower, but how relevant is that if I'm never going to cruise above 80mph anyway? What about reliability and the infamous driveshaft issues? The wife might permit a used GS over a new one with less fuss. Maybe. :lol: Ought to poke around the MOA's flea market and see what's believable.

Rancho

Hi Rancho: I'm a BMW loyalist, I've been riding them for 500,000 miles, since I first drank the BMW Kool-Aide 39 years ago.

They've all had their own particular Achilles Heel. My 1966 R60/2 was the last year of production where the spark plugs were occasionally spit out of the cylinder head. When I got my bike back to the US after the Army I had the spark plug holes tapped and Heli-coiled and that fixed the problem; the factory finally fixed it themselves with the 1967 production run of bikes.

My 1974 R90S had Dell 'Orto carburetors on it and they ran great when properly fettled, and ran like crap the rest of the time!

1984 R80/RT, like all the Type 247's, were notorious for diode board failures, I wouldn't ride around the block without a spare.

My 1996 R1100GS "Mi Mexico Mule" only suffered one clutch failure, but I was between San Miguel de Allende and Mexico City!

So far "Ingrid" my R1150RT at 30K miles has been absolutely trouble-free. And I sincerely hope that steelhead has absolutely no problems with the final drive on his GS. But I would be lying if I was to tell you that we in the BMW family aren't worrying about these failures in both the 17 and 19 ball bearing rear ends. There is a definite problem that BMW needs to fix!

I had a triple blockage heart attack in October of 2005 while diving with my son Seth in Hawaii, and I just can't handle the weight of the R1100GS offroad aggressively like I used to. I was actually looking for a lighter R80/R100Gs for Mexico rides.

I think the new F800GS will be perfect for me. 450 lbs., 85 horsepower, great handling, and 200 mile range; and my buddy Al Jesse is going to start making aluminum panniers for the F800GS. And no problematic final drive to worry myself sick about.

Last edited by a moderator: