Soltek + FZ1 mirrors = confusion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianaTom

Reaction score
Anyone install the soltek brackets AND the FZ1 mirrors? My mounting studs are too short to make this work with any threads showing.

Also, the stainless steel mounting fittings replace the ones that come from the factory, right? How do I get the old ones out of there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone install the soltek brackets AND the FZ1 mirrors?
I have, with no issues, but on a Gen I.

Also, the stainless steel mounting fittings replace the ones that come from the factory, right? How do I get the old ones out of there?
I think that's what will solve your first problem, but I'm not sure how to get the old ones out. These things have been tested, so resolution is lurking nearby....

A SEARCH for kaitsdad article will show you a good way to get them out . . . . with pictures

Found it : Link

One assumes you have Yamaha OEM FZ-1 mirrors. Some of the "cheapo" Ebay mirrors are known to have shorter studs.
I recently changed out my left one to OEM, leaving the right one EMGO. They also worked fine, even with the (thicker) prototype brackets that Ian bolted onto my bike at 2200 hrs. the night of my 700 mile run from Sonora to Park City. Good times!

One assumes you have Yamaha OEM FZ-1 mirrors. Some of the "cheapo" Ebay mirrors are known to have shorter studs.
I recently changed out my left one to OEM, leaving the right one EMGO. They also worked fine, even with the (thicker) prototype brackets that Ian bolted onto my bike at 2200 hrs. the night of my 700 mile run from Sonora to Park City. Good times!
I only mention it because I had a set of EMGO (carbon fiber-type) mirrors and the studs were shorter about 5 mm (?).

I found a thread that showed kaitsdads install. That wasn't really what I was looking for, then he directed me to a better thread of the install.

That makes more sense than what i had bouncing around inside my head.

I did read somewhere that someone was putting a layer of inner tube rubber between the plastic and the steel to keep all the paint pretty. Anyone have any comments on that?

Thanks.

I did that. Do a trial fit, first. You need a very small "patch" of rubber as the body is curved and the bracket is straight. You'll see what I mean once you snug one of the mounting bolts. The contact area for the brackets is rather small and centered around the bolts and subframe area, not along the length of the bracket/nosepiece.

My bike's not here or I'd go measure and give you a better idea of the size. I'd guess a "square" equal to the width of the bracket. You could use some contact cement and glue it to the bracket.