• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Soltek HID Light Kit GB

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Skyway,

Is there any chance of seeing what these light look like, or do they just plug and play where the original light are? Since you are talking brackets I'm sure they are add-ons

Thanks!

Here's what the Soltek's look like mounted on the bike. They're mounted slightly inboard, but that doesn't seem to impact the performance.

IMG_1314.jpg

Looking toward the bike at night at about 100-150 yards out.

IMG_1985.jpg

Here's what the light looks like, for reference the reflector is 4" diameter. I also should point out that there will be 2 color options on the GB, red surrounds as shown or black. Notice the neat built in design of vertical adjustment via a thumb screw in the rear of the bracket.

116067561653922229-2.jpg

This is obviously something I don't need.Add another one to the list.
I like your sense of humor Bob. :lol:

This is in response to some emails I've received. I want everyone to know that the riders set to run this years IBR will get priority in this GB. This will make sure that you have everything in your hands and to give you ample time to get them set up and road tested.

I want everyone to know that the riders set to run this years IBR will get priority in this GB. This will make sure that you have everything in your hands and to give you ample time to get them set up and road tested.

I'm disappointed to know SkooterG may get a set before me.... Oh man, I must have had too much to drink last night!! With the time it takes that boy to actually install a farkle he's bought, I could be the last guy to get these and still have them installed before he does!

I want everyone to know that the riders set to run this years IBR will get priority in this GB. This will make sure that you have everything in your hands and to give you ample time to get them set up and road tested.

I'm disappointed to know SkooterG may get a set before me.... Oh man, I must have had too much to drink last night!! With the time it takes that boy to actually install a farkle he's bought, I could be the last guy to get these and still have them installed before he does!
:rofl: :rofl:

Please, stop the pain in my sides!!

We could have an install party, ya know. I love Phoenix in July!

We could have an install party, ya know. I love Phoenix in July!
A Farkle Install Party at SkooterG's???? Now THAT'S the untested bike I'd want to ride the IBR with. :unsure: :derisive:

The following statement is being posted here in response to my earlier comments.

"As for the Soltek GB. My decision to give priority for riders participating in this years IBR on the Soltek GB, really doesn't change things much in respect to timing of delivery for everyone involved. We are only talking about the difference of around a week or so. The logistics for this GB are MUCH less demanding than that of fuel cell kit. For riders who are heading out for 11+ days of grueling riding, I want to give them all the time I can to setup their bikes. For them, I can only guess that a week less to worry about things, is a week to worry about something far more important.

I'm not trying to alienate anyone from participating in the GB, rather I'm trying to accommodate those whose minds are probably so wound up right now, I just don't want to burden them any further with last minute logistics.

Maybe this is wrong of me to assume, and I should make it a first come first serve basis?"

Last edited by a moderator:
The following statement is being posted here in response to my earlier comments.
"As for the Soltek GB. My decision to give priority for riders participating in this years IBA on the Soltek GB, really doesn't change things much in respect to timing of delivery for everyone involved. We are only talking about the difference of around a week or so. The logistics for this GB are MUCH less demanding than that of fuel cell kit. For riders who are heading out for 11+ days of grueling riding, I want to give them all the time I can to setup their bikes. For them, I can only guess that a week less to worry about things, is a week to worry about something far more important.

I'm not trying to alienate anyone from participating in the GB, rather I'm trying to accommodate those whose minds are probably so wound up right now, I just don't want to burden them any further with last minute logistics.

Maybe this is wrong of me to assume, and I should make it a first come first serve basis?"

I have no problem with you sending the first ones to 07' IBR entrants, but I've got PHID's on mine already and don't plan on swapping the day I get them.

Is one lamp a spot and the other a flood?
Currently I am using 2 driving lights. However, Baja Designs are mailing me out a new version of this light which has a 160 degree light pattern. The theory being that one light (driving light) is used to throw light far down the road and the other spreads out wider, but with less down range.

I will be testing this setup shortly before the GB begins, to see if it's worth it.

As for the Soltek GB. My decision to give priority for riders participating in this years IBA on the Soltek GB, really doesn't change things much in respect to timing of delivery for everyone involved. <snip>....... rather I'm trying to accommodate those whose minds are probably so wound up right now, I just don't want to burden them any further with last minute logistics.
I think you have it correct, sir. Why would anyone object to serving the L.D. community who have done so much, for years, to present this platform as a premier bike for Iron Butt Rallies. Their time window for preparing their bikes is rapidly closing.

IIRC, the IBA "Big Show" only comes about every 2 years and is by invitation only. For me, send them their lights first and put my name at the end of the list with Rogue if it will help.

Any one want to post this up on the STN board?

I think that decision should be made by Skyway. Its his group buy. Having said that, if you want to add to the number of interested parties, posting this on the LD Riders list will definitely get more people to sign up!

Yup.. that's what I thought. Didn't think it was my place to just post it up there.
I browse by both these places every once in a while, but because I'm not active at all on either forums, I don't really want to go there myself and announce anything. I know this would be bad form on my part.

If anyone here has a friend that they would like to share this offer with, I'm not against this, but you won't see anything posted by me on any other forums re: this GB.

Add me to the list of things that I really want but don't need but can always find an excuse as to why I might need them.

I hope everyone realizes that once the GB is done, and everyone has installed their system, Skyway will introduce the "Skyway Soltek Hot Dog Dogger" farkle that allows one to mount a raw hotdog on a fork in front of the light while underway - and 30 minutes later, have a evenly heated, cooked hot dog for a snack, or perhaps to tuck into your socks for warmth -

Each individual is responsible for keeping their buns dry and warm. And the mustard. :blink:

This is in response to some emails I've received. I want everyone to know that the riders set to run this years IBR will get priority in this GB. This will make sure that you have everything in your hands and to give you ample time to get them set up and road tested.
Cool, Skyway I'm in on the group buy.

Just broke one of my Hella's recently and need a replacement. I was going to try calling you last week to see about purchasing the brackets and getting Solteks on my own.

Have you got a picture of the mount somewhere? I guess I missed a post somewhere.

Thanks,

dougc

PS. Riding the IBR too.

Have you got a picture of the mount somewhere? I guess I missed a post somewhere.
I think Highlander has some photo's of the mounts I made, and if none surface soon, I'll snap some and post them up. The brackets I'm using now are only prototypes that were quickly made for me to test out the setup. The production version will be more pleasing to the eye with CNC machining, smooth fillets and powdercoating etc.

The main difference with my brackets is that I used steel to support the somewhat heavy Soltek light assembly. I was concerned that aluminum might flex too much. The trade off with more weight is the simplicity of the overall light design, being that all HID components are completely enclosed in a single housing. I moved the lights inboard slightly to provide clearance, so even with my windshield spacers installed, which kick the lower edge of the screen forward slightly, everything fits and there's no interference.

One advantage of them being moved in slightly is that in the event of a tipover, there's less chance of damage to the light assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.