• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Soltek HID Light Kit GB

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Comments and observations with the wide cornering 160 degree HID Soltek. I ran 1 wide cornering and 1 driving pattern.

The wide cornering light is very effective at lighting up the sides of the highway and in the front of the driving light pattern, and will expose forest rats both left and right with ease. Also when riding through neighborhoods, I can easily see far down folks driveways. The light pattern produces very little scatter and creates a very nice radius beam of light right in front of the bike. This combo of lights might be optimal for those who ride at slow pace at night and do not require to see far ahead down the highway. If you lived in heavily wooded areas, and the roads are very windy, riding approx 40-50mph, then yes, I could see some merit for selecting the dual setup.

The dual setup will also change the symmetrical look of the front of the bike because both reflector designs are very different in appearance.

So with this in mind, and as expected, this lamp does not push light far down the road. It reminds me of the FF200's out at the side, except that the pattern seems more precise for the job it was intended to do. Whoever is designing the reflectors at Baja clearly knows what their doing. (unbiased plug is not intended for them, just basing my opinion on what I see) I can see now what their goal is with the different patterns that they have. It makes a lot of sense why the off-road vehicles have multiple lights across the top of the roof line.

The driving light, by comparison, has a much narrower beam pattern when close to the bike, but get out where the road opens up and you quickly realise the potential of the driving light setup. I have to add that the driving lights do throw quite a bit of reflection off of oncoming signs when the lights hit them square on, simply because the Soltek driving beam light pattern is intense and far reaching.(not a deal breaker for me) You will know where any reflective objects are well in advance before arriving at them.

My conclusion, based on MY riding style, (I want to know whats ahead way before I reach it) is that I will be staying with 2 driving light HID's. Now if there was someway to run 2 driving lights and 2 wide cornering lights, then as near to perfection has been reached IMHO.

I also want to disclose that due to the mounting location on the FJR, and additional weight involved, I have noticed some shaking in my rear view mirrors at nominal speeds and when hitting pot holes etc. While I can live with it for the trade off for great lighting in front of the bike, some may not. The HID light beam will bounce a little on rough terrain, but for me, it's not at the point of annoyance where I want to turn them off.

I'm trying to be as objective as possible here, so that everyone gets an idea of what to expect with this product. I know that some might/will not be happy (inevitable with GB's it seems) but I can assure you of one thing that this light kit throws out some SERIOUS neutral light color far down the road in front of the bike.

Hopefully with this info digested, I await your responses on if/when y'all want to proceed.

Zactly!, though I'm on the fence for one wide or two driving.

Though I'm sure you don't really care what we order ;)

Let's get on with it.

I await your responses on if/when y'all want to proceed.
I thought we already did that?

If not, yeah. Now, let's go!

Two drivers for me.
Uhh...I thought we already did that too.

Two drivers/brackets here, the sooner the better.

Still would like to see a close-up of the brackets, even a rendering or drawing. Are they bent, machined, welded?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
One person away from a $20 price break, currently at 40.

(not counting the people who have told skyway by email, pm or in person)

C'mon you know you want a pair of these!

Comments and observations with the wide cornering 160 degree HID Soltek. I ran 1 wide cornering and 1 driving pattern.
The wide cornering light is very effective at lighting up the sides of the highway and in the front of the driving light pattern, and will expose forest rats both left and right with ease. Also when riding through neighborhoods, I can easily see far down folks driveways. The light pattern produces very little scatter and creates a very nice radius beam of light right in front of the bike. This combo of lights might be optimal for those who ride at slow pace at night and do not require to see far ahead down the highway. If you lived in heavily wooded areas, and the roads are very windy, riding approx 40-50mph, then yes, I could see some merit for selecting the dual setup.

The dual setup will also change the symmetrical look of the front of the bike because both reflector designs are very different in appearance.

So with this in mind, and as expected, this lamp does not push light far down the road. It reminds me of the FF200's out at the side, except that the pattern seems more precise for the job it was intended to do. Whoever is designing the reflectors at Baja clearly knows what their doing. (unbiased plug is not intended for them, just basing my opinion on what I see) I can see now what their goal is with the different patterns that they have. It makes a lot of sense why the off-road vehicles have multiple lights across the top of the roof line.

The driving light, by comparison, has a much narrower beam pattern when close to the bike, but get out where the road opens up and you quickly realise the potential of the driving light setup. I have to add that the driving lights do throw quite a bit of reflection off of oncoming signs when the lights hit them square on, simply because the Soltek driving beam light pattern is intense and far reaching.(not a deal breaker for me) You will know where any reflective objects are well in advance before arriving at them.

My conclusion, based on MY riding style, (I want to know whats ahead way before I reach it) is that I will be staying with 2 driving light HID's. Now if there was someway to run 2 driving lights and 2 wide cornering lights, then as near to perfection has been reached IMHO.

I also want to disclose that due to the mounting location on the FJR, and additional weight involved, I have noticed some shaking in my rear view mirrors at nominal speeds and when hitting pot holes etc. While I can live with it for the trade off for great lighting in front of the bike, some may not. The HID light beam will bounce a little on rough terrain, but for me, it's not at the point of annoyance where I want to turn them off.

I'm trying to be as objective as possible here, so that everyone gets an idea of what to expect with this product. I know that some might/will not be happy (inevitable with GB's it seems) but I can assure you of one thing that this light kit throws out some SERIOUS neutral light color far down the road in front of the bike.

Hopefully with this info digested, I await your responses on if/when y'all want to proceed.
Ian, any pics available of the 1 driver, 1 wide cornering from the rider's perspective? I"m still in on this, just trying to make a decision which ones to get. Thx!

Carver's off-highway proving ground awaits the first set of Skyway's Solteks for a daily 6 mile shakedown and endurance test... if them brackets can handle my washboard, pot-holed, whooped-out dirt road, they are good for any paved roadway....

Uhh, SkeeWee, you have my address, right? Send them ASAP and I'll commence with the testing process, for free, just for you! :rolleyes:

One person away from a $20 price break, currently at 40.(not counting the people who have told skyway by email, pm or in person)

C'mon you know you want a pair of these!
There are approx 3 other's from the MD2020 lista that said they wanted in. One registered, and a couple others don't want to do that, the'll wait for the GB site. So we should be 41 or more:)

I'm still waiting for Iggy (or Warchild for that matter) to post this to the LD Riders list. :) We'd get a lot more that-a-way. And skyway would be making brackets for a long, long time :)

Still would like to see a close-up of the brackets, even a rendering or drawing. Are they bent, machined, welded?
Doug, the protoypes are welded at the major angle change. These are seriously thicker than any other bracket I've seen.

I'm still waiting for Iggy (or Warchild for that matter) to post this to the LD Riders list. We'd get a lot more that-a-way. And skyway would be making brackets for a long, long time
The problem that I see with that idea is that the brackets currently designed are specifically for the FJR, not any other bike. Until Ian gets a pattern bike and builds bracketry for different makes and models, a general posting on another site could do him more harm than good. Capiche?

Besides, he has to design and build a bracket for my and Highlander's KLRs first! :lol:

I'm still waiting for Iggy (or Warchild for that matter) to post this to the LD Riders list. We'd get a lot more that-a-way. And skyway would be making brackets for a long, long time
The problem that I see with that idea is that the brackets currently designed are specifically for the FJR, not any other bike. Until Ian gets a pattern bike and builds bracketry for different makes and models, a general posting on another site could do him more harm than good. Capiche?

Besides, he has to design and build a bracket for my and Highlander's KLRs first! :lol:
The group buy is for the lights, and getting the Solteks at a good price. From what I understand the Skyway mounts are extra, ($80) extra anyway.

There are plenty of LD riders that have mounted bigger, and possibly heavier lights before. They know what they are getting into an nobody ever said mounts for all bikes were available.

Saving $200+ on the lights alone is worth it regardless of how you're going to mount them.

Here's some photo's of the wide cornering/driving light combo. The finish on both lights is a little different, which I'll verify prior to the GB whats going to be available.

Driving light on left, wide cornering on right.

IMG_2164.jpg

Matt black finish of wide cornering housing

IMG_2166.jpg

Photo to show differences in finishes of both light housings (gloss black light housing and chrome mounting bracket vs. matt black light housing and gloss black powder coat)

IMG_2163.jpg

Photo showing prototype mounting bracket.

IMG_2167.jpg

Great Question.
Yeah, well, I'm always thinkin' of great stuff, though it seldom helps. I tell you what, you all can chip and and buy me a set of these hecka bitchin' lights for thinkin', k? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.