SOLVED - Spider bite on 2006 with wiring harness fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERS

Reaction score
Yesterday got on the FJR and headed for work. on the way found that the windshield wouldn't raise, the turn signal dash indicators and high beam indicators are on, no headlights and turn signals are all lit. After work it wouldn't crank but after a few minutes was able to start it and got home ok. I expect this is a spider but not sure which one. Any idea where to start?? I have the addon wiring harness from the recall and it was installed in 2013, the spiders were all clean back then but I haven't really checked them since except the one on the left next to the fuel tank cause I can get at it without removing anything. approx 97,000km on bike.

Searched but couldn't find the list of symptoms.

Thanks

S6 by glovebox or S7 beside the left headlight are the most likely.

A non-spider grounding issue that bit me is detailed in the following thread - wasn't easy to find. A lot of other good info in this thread as well, including a spider roadmap. Note: Grounding issues are strange and one set of symptoms cannot pinpoint a source in most instances. The photos in that thread are Photobucket and have a PB "watermark" that makes it hard to see. If you right click and "open in new tab", you will see the image without watermark.

Edit (Aug. 2023): For some reason, the link I had included in this thread disappeared!! I noticed it when someone recently referenced this thread.

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/itsy-bitsy-spider.158418/

Last edited:
Like Ross said sounds like S6 or S7. Most likely S6. You'll have to R&R the left lower fairing to get at it. Then cut off spider and solder the wires together. You could just run a wire from battery ground to a headlight ground (either one or both) . That will ground everything up front and bypass the burnt spider. Good luck.

Thanks for the tips, started with removing the tank and checked the 2 on the left and S4 which has the recall harness attached. These are all good, no signs of corrosion, added more conductive grease and then started looking for S6. It was obvious when I found it, the cover was melted and the plug was burnt on 1 side. funny I had no warning it just BIT yesterday. Anyway, cut off the plug and soldered the 6 wires together and wrapped with vulcanizing tape. Should be good for awhile now. Put everything together and all is good.

That was a quick fix!  Great that you were able to get it done so quickly.

Managing to do any riding?  NB is pretty confining right now.  PEI would be more so with a lot fewer miles of roads.  At least the tourist traffic is low.  Hoping for  them to declare an Atlantic "bubble" in July so I can at least get to NS and maybe NL this year...

The fix wasn't too bad, but getting at that spider was not easy. I removed the tank, left dash panels and glovebox and was able to get S6 from the top. It might have been easier to remove the left lower fairing, live and learn!

Doing some riding on the Island but with work and home and grandkids etc. there never seems to enough time. I use the bike to commute 25km and get out out for a couple of hours a week for pleasure. My daughter likes riding pillion so we go for a few hours on Sunday afternoons if she's not working. I bought a 2006  DL1000 VStrom last year and have been using it a bit too for dirt roads etc. Bought it to do the Trans Labrador Highway this summer but that is off for this year. 

I have friends in Moncton who ride and we get together either in NB or in PEI for day trips and occasionally do 7-10 day tours. Looking forward to the Atlantic bubble but the provincial govt's are scared to open the borders.