Someone Tell Me Why...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how much their cool side cases and topcases are. Aluminum, or plastic? I would think Aluminum would be easier to patch/repair if need be, but those plastic jobies have those built in 3 litre water storage for drinking! You could fill one with Jack and the other with Coke...kidding

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how much their cool side cases and topcases are. Aluminum, or plastic? I would think Aluminum would be easier to patch/repair if need be, but those plastic jobies have those built in 3 litre water storage for drinking! You could fill one with Jack and the other with Coke...kidding
IIRC, the plastic side cases are included in the 950's. Dunno about the 990's. The cases are junk, IMO. I've had Igloo coolers that were better made.

Too, Jack and Coke is a sinful waste of Jack. ;)

I wonder how much their cool side cases and topcases are. Aluminum, or plastic?
From the 2007 "Hardequipment"catalog:Individual Alu sidecases = MSRP, $319.99 ea

Plastic case set = MSRP, $539.99

Rear travel bag (plastic top-case) = MSRP, $249.99.

They were "including" plastic side cases with 950 purchases.

Could one be converted to an ice dispenser?

I wonder how much their cool side cases and topcases are. Aluminum, or plastic?
From the 2007 "Hardequipment"catalog:Individual Alu sidecases = MSRP, $319.99 ea

Plastic case set = MSRP, $539.99

Rear travel bag (plastic top-case) = MSRP, $249.99.

They were "including" plastic side cases with 950 purchases.
Thanks!

Yep. And it's amazing how much Jack you can get in one of them Rubbermaid thingies without any ice .......

- a whole half gallon, or so.

gotta sip it slow, though, or the side stand quits working. :blink:

All that aside, if you're gonna mix whisky and coke, use some of that 4 year Old Crow blend. That way the Jack isn't wasted.

And you can strip paint with any of the Old Crow that's spilt. Or top off your tank with it.

Yep. And it's amazing how much Jack you can get in one of them Rubbermaid thingies without any ice .......
- a whole half gallon, or so.

gotta sip it slow, though, or the side stand quits working. :blink:

All that aside, if you're gonna mix whisky and coke, use some of that 4 year Old Crow blend. That way the Jack isn't wasted.

And you can strip paint with any of the Old Crow that's spilt. Or top off your tank with it.
Word dat, ma brudda! Word dat.

Hey TWN - you asked why NOT to buy the Beemer? Well, try this one on for size. Note that the creek and the bank are nothing... yet the porker Bmw has all kinds of difficulty gettting through it. Note how the opposing cylinders don't help get up the bank either.. they guy has to take another line..

.. Or here.

...I shouldn't buy one of these:
12GSblue.jpg
Because it's a BMW.

I'll be picking up my 07 Alpine white GS-Adv next Thursday. :yahoo:

Planning to spend 3 weeks in Alaska/Yukon in 08 or 09....maybe 10, still got lots of planning to do and time flys by.

I'll let you know how it does on the Dalton & Dempster on the way to the Arctic Ocean

TWN

I think too much is made of BMW's having a rear drive problem. I'm sure it happens as I am sure it happens to other bikes also.

My ridding buddy and I rode to Alaska and the Artic Circle in 98. He rides a 95 R100RT and I ride a 97 R1100RT and neither one of us had problem one. We both have over 100K on the bikes and never have had a problem with the rear drive. We were both wishing we had a GS with knobbies for the haul road as it was real muddy and all we had was street tires . I will not do that again without something with knobbie tires.

Having said that, I am still waiting for my 07 FJR to come in and plan on putting plenty of miles on without spending so much at the dealers for maintenance.

mac

TWN
I think too much is made of BMW's having a rear drive problem. I'm sure it happens as I am sure it happens to other bikes also.

My ridding buddy and I rode to Alaska and the Artic Circle in 98. He rides a 95 R100RT and I ride a 97 R1100RT and neither one of us had problem one. We both have over 100K on the bikes and never have had a problem with the rear drive. We were both wishing we had a GS with knobbies for the haul road as it was real muddy and all we had was street tires . I will not do that again without something with knobbie tires.

Having said that, I am still waiting for my 07 FJR to come in and plan on putting plenty of miles on without spending so much at the dealers for maintenance.

mac

True, but the more I look into this genre of machine, the more the Wee Strom is making sense to me. Plenty of bike, simple to work on, nifty-fifty mpg, tons of farkles available and I'll have 8 grand leftover for the trip to Alaska. Yup, making lots more sense to me... ;)

TWN

mac

True, but the more I look into this genre of machine, the more the Wee Strom is making sense to me. Plenty of bike, simple to work on, nifty-fifty mpg, tons of farkles available and I'll have 8 grand leftover for the trip to Alaska. Yup, making lots more sense to me... ;)
You left out the part about being easy to pick up after ya drop it !! :dntknw:

En hyar ah wuz atryin' tuh think uh sumthin' snappy tuh say. Butt ah did git a mentall pitcher uh TWN aridin' down the rode wuth his dang ol' long leggs uh hangin' offen thet littlest Storm (Er Strom, er er wind er ehutever they'all callit.) ...ah figger uht'll cost him neerly 2 mahls per galleon uh thet unleaded gasohol. En he'll look so dang ol' cuuuute!

TWN

mac

yep at 427 pounds, it's a full 31 pounds lighter than the VStrom 1000 :blink: I would have thought there would be a bigger difference there.

TWN

mac

yep at 427 pounds, it's a full 31 pounds lighter than the VStrom 1000 :blink: I would have thought there would be a bigger difference there.
But the GS AV is almost 600 lbs with a full tank of gas, not even loaded up. By the time TWN packs his 50cal and rounds, case of bear spray and pimp daddy stuff, it'll be 8000lbs !

TWN

mac

But the GS AV is almost 600 lbs with a full tank of gas, not even loaded up. By the time TWN packs his 50cal and rounds, case of bear spray and pimp daddy stuff, it'll be 8000lbs !
Yep, them Dacor convection ovens are heavy!!!

Re: the Buell. Heading onto rough highway, size will be in your favor.
I really like the Beemer as well, but feel I would be way too hard on it to last any length of time. And I can't justify the stealer prices they command when there are so many other good options out there for far less $$$. :angry2:

And don't rule out the upcoming new Triumph Tiger. This bike I'm sure will be popular.

tiger_2007_gallery3.jpg

tiger_2007_blue.jpg
+1111111

As light as the weestrom and as fast as the FJR.

C'mon, TWN, buy sumpin' and post up the pics. The suspense is killin' us.

Re: the Buell. Heading onto rough highway, size will be in your favor.
I really like the Beemer as well, but feel I would be way too hard on it to last any length of time. And I can't justify the stealer prices they command when there are so many other good options out there for far less $$$. :angry2:

And don't rule out the upcoming new Triumph Tiger. This bike I'm sure will be popular.

tiger_2007_gallery3.jpg

tiger_2007_blue.jpg
+1111111

As light as the weestrom and as fast as the FJR.
That is no longer a dualie. I wouldn't even think of going off road with that. About as much fun as off-roading with the FJR.

Latest posts