Sorting exhaust slip-ons pros and cons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mackeroni

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, at 43,000 miles, I removed the stock exhaust cans from my 2008 FJR and replaced them with Delkevic 13" stainless tri-oval slip-ons.  

The Pros:

1.  I love the sound!  Even with the baffles in, this system rocks!  Not bothersome at all while cruising at 70-80 mph.

2.  Average MPG has increased substantially... from an average of 39MPG with the old cans to over 46MPG with the Delkevic's.  In the spirit of full disclosure, I also lightened my ride by about 40 pounds and streamlined things a bit when I removed the top case, side cases, Clearwater lighting and Garauld's comfortable highway pegs.  Not sure how much improvement these changes contributed, but I feel like the Delkevic's should get most of the credit due to the great reduction in back pressure.

The Cons:

Only one negative to mention... The bike 'sounds funny' at neutral throttle.  It sounds great with throttle on, and great with trailing throttle, but in the middle, the engine sounds almost like it is only firing on three cylinders.  Is this due to lower back pressure or something else?  Hard to figure this out, and maybe it has always been this way, but was undetectable with the stock exhaust on.

I am tempted to replace the plugs, sync the throttle bodies and tweak the TPM to see what happens, but in fact... none of these services are due yet.

All opinions welcome please.

Peace... Mack  

I very much doubt that the apparent improvement in fuel economy has anything to do with the exhaust.  My original 2007 was bought lightly used (12,000 mi.) and had Leo Vince aftermarket cans.  At maybe 60,000 miles or so, I went back to the OEM and didn't see any difference.  My current (2011) FJR has Staintunes (came with them) and still pretty similar mileage.  Buy them for the sound or buy them for the looks but don't buy them to get better mileage or more power.

I wouldn't expect ANY difference in sound with spark plug replacement, throttle sync or any other "normal" adjustment.  You might see how you like the sound with the baffles removed.  (I leave mine in and the Staintunes are pretty quiet.)  I do like their looks although I wouldn't have paid for them.

No Pros except sound, appearance, and weight. No cons except cost, sound, appearance, and weight. I love my R77’s. But no slip on is going to noticeably affect performance or mileage. 

No Pros except sound, appearance, and weight. No cons except cost, sound, appearance, and weight. I love my R77’s. But no slip on is going to noticeably affect performance or mileage. 
I stand corrected.  The MPG improvement probably had nothing to do with the new slip-ons.  But the sound, man!  My God, the sound!!

Worth every penny.

Peace... Mack

MPG has nothing to do with slip-ons.  In fact, most would report a little worse fuel mileage due to the fantastic sound encouraging more aggressive use of throttle.  Your gain in mpg came from removing the sidebags and topcase.  It's all about the aerodynamics.

I've had some sort of slip-ons on pretty much every one of my 13 FJRs.  I too, like the sound.

Agree with the others re: MPG and/or performance.  I also question whether or not there is any change in "back pressure" from the aftermarket cans, and doubt there is, or at minimum, there does not exist any proof that there is.

I get the "sound" thing.  Personally, the ST1300 stock exhaust sounds like a George Jetson mobile.  But the stock FJR exhaust sounds quietly nice to me.  I'd rather use my $$$ to buy more riding gas....

But the stock FJR exhaust sounds quietly nice to me.  I'd rather use my $$$ to buy more riding gas....
I was happy with the OEM.  My 2011 came with the Staintunes on the bike and the OEM in a box.  I could have put the OEM on the bike and sold the Staintunes but I like the look of them (would NOT have paid for them).  With the baffles, they are not much louder than stock and I am OK with that.  If I ever sell the bike, I will likely put the OEM on and sell the Staintunes separately.  Probably will come out a few hundred bucks ahead.  (Hard to get much for a set of OEM cans but even used Staintunes go for a decent price.)

I have a pair of Coffman slip ons, had them on my 03 1st gen for over 5 years, love the sound and weight reduction!

The pop pop exhaust sound on downshift, but I have the powercommander richening the fuel mixture a bit. Yes an FJR will pull the front tire up!

https://coffmansexhaust.com/collections/all

Attachments

• A23E2BE8-2D81-469E-B850-5384B08E70A1.jpeg
    A23E2BE8-2D81-469E-B850-5384B08E70A1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 3AE42110-26DA-4EA9-9845-84D8413AA299.jpeg
    3AE42110-26DA-4EA9-9845-84D8413AA299.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 22