Spark Plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rondo777

Reaction score
I was just wondering if the Gen 2 FJRs use the same plugs as Gen 1. I was interested in Iridiums but I have only been able to find a part number for 2003 - 2005 FJR.

I was just wondering if the Gen 2 FJRs use the same plugs as Gen 1. I was interested in Iridiums but I have only been able to find a part number for 2003 - 2005 FJR.
Yes they are the same.. Bin-O-Facts is your friend. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=8660

Thanks, I checked the Bin-O-Facts before I placed this post as well as google and FJR forum search and nothing verifies that the plugs are the same. This is from the bin o facts

Spark Plugs:

NGK CR8E or DENSO U24ESR-N (GAP: 0.028" - 0.031")

[SIZE=18pt]From the '03 - '05 world[/SIZE]: "The cat's ass spark plugs = Brand: NGK, Part Number: CR8EIX, Stock Number: 4218 (About $6 each) and likely last 16K miles. An alternative = NGK CR8VX" These plugs have not been verified to be cat's assy yet for the '06.

From the Yamaha Parts Fiche (2005)

SKU: 94701-00330-00

PLUG, SPARK (NGK CR8E) UR UR

From the Yamaha Parts Fiche (2006)

SKU: NGK-CR8E0-00-00

PLUG, SPARK (NGK R CR8E)

Same Base Plug, er the 06 is a Resistor Plug

From NGK website:

"As well as reducing electrical noise for radio, television and mobile telephones etc, many modern ignition systems require resistor plugs to stop electrical noise from interfering with the vehicle's on-board electronic control units (ECUs). If non-resistor plugs are used in place of resistor ones, the result can be malfunction and in some cases immobilisation of the vehicle. Resistor spark plugs should always be fitted, therefore, where specified. NGK resistor spark plugs contain a single ceramic monolythic resistor of approximately 5000 ohms. Because of the type and construction of the resistor (ie no springs), the problems of vibration and sudden changes in temperature that can occur with some other brands do not apply. The function of the resistor is to reduce electrical noise generated by the ignition system. The most effective place to situate a resistor in the high tension circuit is as close to the spark plug as possible. This makes the spark plug an ideal place to house the resistor. Because the resistance value is only approximately 5000 ohms, there is no detrimental effect on engine performance, power output, vehicle emissions etc. It is also a fact that many motor sport world champions only use NGK resistor spark plugs. In nearly all cases - apart from some very old low output ignition systems - resistor spark plugs can be used in place of the non resistor versions."

Last edited by a moderator: