Spider bite on a 2012

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually had some guys with failed S4 spiders add those 4 grounds and didn't do anything with the S4 and that fixed it. I would still deal with the spider if you can , but it is hard to get to.

Dealer is a dealer -- no chance they will do anything beyond a part R&R, in this case the harness. Not terribly thrilled they don't contact me when they say they will. Does not bode well. Not really a dealer fan. This isn't helping just yet...

Thanks for the info.
I pulled Brodie's grounding harness off of my '06 before I got rid of it, just in case I might need it on the '16.
Are you willing to part with the harness? I have an '07 with spider bites I am thinking of attacking with a soldering gun, but would rather not.

Thanks for the info.
I pulled Brodie's grounding harness off of my '06 before I got rid of it, just in case I might need it on the '16.
Are you willing to part with the harness? I have an '07 with spider bites I am thinking of attacking with a soldering gun, but would rather not.
I am considering it. It appears I don't have much use for it.

If you already have significant damage, the harness won't do much good. You can verify but I think you will find that the harness is a preventative measure rather than a cure. The sockets may already be too oxidized if you have already been bitten.

If you already have significant damage, the harness won't do much good. You can verify but I think you will find that the harness is a preventative measure rather than a cure. The sockets may already be too oxidized if you have already been bitten.
I didn't have significant damage to the factory wiring, just intermittent problems with the grounding according to the symptoms I've read about. Last year at the PNW tech meet I R/R all the spiders cleaning and greasing them before I reassembled them. There was no damage then. To cure the problem without a harness I have been hearing that you simply cut the spider out of the harness, solder the wires together and connect them to a ground. Is that so? If I find that the factory harness is still undamaged I would like to find a Brodie harness, but if it is already beyond that I suppose soldering is the cure. I should know tomorrow if I need the harness or the soldering gun. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the info.
I will likely know tomorrow whether I need a harness or to tackle the problem with a soldering gun. If you are willing to sell your harness I will likely want to buy it. I tried to private message you but it says you don't receive private messages. Anyway, let me know what amount would induce you to part with and send it to Western Montana and if I still need it after tomorrow's inspection I'll get right on it.

Thanks for the info.
I will likely know tomorrow whether I need a harness or to tackle the problem with a soldering gun. If you are willing to sell your harness I will likely want to buy it. I tried to private message you but it says you don't receive private messages. Anyway, let me know what amount would induce you to part with and send it to Western Montana and if I still need it after tomorrow's inspection I'll get right on it.
Let me know and we can discuss. Odd, I haven't had any issues with PMs in the past. I'll check to see if my inbox is full.

Dealer says bike is repaired and ready for pick up. I told them I wanted the old harness back -- mostly want to ensure Yamaha doesn't have access. I'm sure they don't care, but on the off hand chance they did I would delight in telling them to pound sand.

Checking on travel possibilities. May pick up tomorrow, but it may be Monday on the way to an off-site work.

Don't know the actual final bill, but it's certain to be a doozy.

Glad you got it sorted.

Please make a report to NHTSA with details on the exact problem, symptoms and diagnosis. Stuff like loss of light and engine failure gets their attention.

I would also follow up with Yamaha corporate. Send photos and required repair details and a copy of the invoice. In addition to sending the info, I would try to talk with a real person. Maybe you can get it partly covered...

Let us know the location of the failure. Guessing S6 but would like a confirmation. Just stuff to watch.

Hope they did a good job!

Final report. Just home from 425 miles yesterday, bike running just like it should. Helps me remember why I wanted it.

Picked the bike back up on Monday on the way to an off site work trip, so 1000 miles this week. Collected the original harness with the bike. For some reason, they had cut the two fuse blocks off, which does not please me. Took me three evenings looking and looking to identify the spider that failed, but sure enough the tell-tale melt spot on the cover was there, and the spider shows signs of heat and high resistance. As to which spider it is, I have trouble identifying it, since it's a loose harness with no bike related physical locators. It is one of two side by side in the middle of the harness, if that helps anyone. I think it was giving me clues for a week or more before truly failing, which I may post as a separate 'what I observed'.

Thanks for the afteraction report. Glad to hear things seem to have worked out well with a harness replacement by a dealer. General opinion here seems to be that can be a risky option.

Any others here have a good outcome with harness replacement by a dealer?

Do you plan to perform annual inspection with the application of any of the anti-corrosion componds recommended on this forum"

Best wishes for many safe and bite-free miles.

Not sure on the annual maintenance -- pretty much limit my annual to oil and filter so far. Maybe I'll do it when I change plugs, and that's about every three years...

Wonder if the dealer used dielectric grease on the spiders.
I would very much doubt it. If not part of Yamaha's "procedure" for harness replacement, I can't imagine that the dealer would take it upon himself to do this.

In my opinion, dielectric grease is of limited value for prevention of spider meltdown. There have been several documented instances where spiders have failed despite owner's claims of regular treatment. I suppose that anything is better than nothing when it comes to reducing the likelihood of water ingress and subsequent corrosion of conductors. Making "hard" contacts to replace spiders or reducing the electrical load going through these choke points is really what needs to be done.

RossKean - Are you referring to "cut and solder" when you mention "hard" contacts???
I'm talking about what the manufacturer needs to do - replace sketchy connectors with something that makes a solid connection that is sufficiently robust and not subject to failure due to moisture or heat/cool cycles. A GOOD electrical contact that is sufficiently over-capacity to easily handle the current and protested from the elements is needed.

Yamaha should go back to insulated wrapped mechanical crimp without push pin style connectors for grounds as done on my 1980 XS. They did make a mess of the alternator/regulator connectors under the wet cell battery drain hose though. Guess it's all about shaving hours at the assembly plant. A shame the under amp rated spider connectors are still used today. Wouldn't fly on aircraft I would think.