Split: Busas and Electric

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not very familiar with the new Hayabusa.  How much is modified previous engine vs. clean sheet design?
From what I've read, the engine is incremental improvements on the same base design. Definitely not clean sheet. Hence my comment regarding the FJR.

~G

Electric may eventually become the right answer for cars and other similar vehicles, but I don't think that will work for motorcycles because of the weight of the batteries and/or very limited range.
Electric cars is a reality and gaining ground every day. Nice cars that outperform gasoline powered easily. Some of our city service trucks around my house are now 100% electric. Electric bicycles, scooters, skateboards, you name it - already here.

I am convinced the same will happen to motorcycles - there are already some models available. Electric planes are being developed - not quite ready for prime time yet, but just a matter of time. Motorcycles should be an easy nut to crack here as batteries evolve...The future of transportation is electric for sure.

Feature on the local news tonight about electric boats, coincidentally.  Looks like Lake Tahoe will be big sales target for them.  Lots of money and very high concern about clean power.  Fits right in.  The local reporter was a passenger on one of the new boats.  Looked pretty much like any other nice speedboat you'd see.  Nice, very quiet.  And just $280,000!!!   :weirdsmiley:

So far, ONE place on the lake (Homewood, for you locals) where you can pull up for a fast charge.  But for some with places on the lakefront, I'm sure they'll just have their own.

Electric bikes sound like shit. JSNS
I like quiet!

That said, I can see electric motorcycles as a practical commuter vehicle and even as a performance (relatively short distance) tire shredder.  Unfortunately, energy density for even the high end lithium batteries is MANY times lower than for gasoline.  (Gasoline - 46 megajoules per kg vs Lithium ion batteries 0.36 to 0.875  megajoules/kg)  At least 50 times.

Energy density - Wikipedia

Electric motors weigh less than internal combustion engines and are quite a bit more efficient but there is a very long way to go to get the performance/range we expect from a long distance touring motorcycle.  A chemical battery just won't cut it - you will have to give up performance and range and hope technology provides a true rapid charge solution along with a suitable network of charging stations.  Batteries may be able to be improved but won't overtake gasoline as a power source.  Perhaps fuel cell-electric???

Yup. I've been considering ev since my purchase research that ended with a new 2008 Subaru STi. If my use-case was local commuter, 2nd car (or first car with an ICE engine for long trips). I'm not there yet so got an e-bicycle.

I like quiet!
That said, I can see electric motorcycles as a practical commuter vehicle and even as a performance (relatively short distance) tire shredder.  Unfortunately, energy density for even the high end lithium batteries is MANY times lower than for gasoline.  (Gasoline - 46 megajoules per kg vs Lithium ion batteries 0.36 to 0.875  megajoules/kg)  At least 50 times.
Energy density - Wikipedia
Electric motors weigh less than internal combustion engines and are quite a bit more efficient but there is a very long way to go to get the performance/range we expect from a long distance touring motorcycle.  A chemical battery just won't cut it - you will have to give up performance and range and hope technology provides a true rapid charge solution along with a suitable network of charging stations.  Batteries may be able to be improved but won't overtake gasoline as a power source.  Perhaps fuel cell-electric?
Ross,

Quiet is okay by me!  There is nothing stealthy about a superbike running from the coppers at full song . . .  

Yamaha electric motors 469 HP  (that's FJR1300  HP, times three) . . .
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/yamaha-electric-motor-469-horsepower-prototype/

https://www.automotivemanufacturingsolutions.com/emobility/aluminium-air-a-better-power-source-for-evs/40578.article
"To put that in context, a Tesla Model S has an estimated range, from a single charge, of 370 miles. According to Jackson, replacing a standard Tesla Li-ion power source with an Al-air device of the same weight would produce a range of 2,700 miles.
 A discharged Al-air cell unit would simply be replaced with a recycled one which could be sold at supermarkets and convenience stores; swapping an empty power source for a new, fully charged one would take about 90 seconds, he claims, and would be accomplished at a refuelling machine serving multiple ‘swap stations’. . . ."

YouTube has several videos on making a DIY aluminum-air battery, for demonstration purposes.

According to Jackson, replacing a standard Tesla Li-ion power source with an Al-air device of the same weight would produce a range of 2,700 miles.
Interesting enough but not ready for prime time at this point.  I guess we will see if something practical comes up that has the capacity AND can deliver enough current for the application.  Perhaps this technology can be used to provide "most" of the energy but supplemented with something like lithium ion for short high power bursts.  I guess we will find out.

A car (or a boat) is far more tolerant of the parasitic weight of batteries compared to a motorcycle.

You guys should see how they are raping mining Nevada for the minerals in the so called green ev batteries. It's sad.

You don't need loud pipes to enjoy the internal combustion motor on it's way to peak horsepower.

Electric cars is a reality and gaining ground every day. Nice cars that outperform gasoline powered easily. Some of our city service trucks around my house are now 100% electric. Electric bicycles, scooters, skateboards, you name it - already here.

I am convinced the same will happen to motorcycles - there are already some models available. Electric planes are being developed - not quite ready for prime time yet, but just a matter of time. Motorcycles should be an easy nut to crack here as batteries evolve...The future of transportation is electric for sure.
While true along the more populous areas of the coasts, it's not ubiquitous.

It's not just EVs either. To date, I am still hearing Tech Wonks bemoan residual tech that isn't based on the need of highly-available (99% uptime) broadband or wireless. From their crenelated ivory towers, they see the world around them as free wifi and gigabit connectivity everywhere. They either aren't aware of, or don't care, that the vast majority of people still don't live in areas like that. They seem to see everything as being "in the cloud" when the majority of people still can't access those speeds and uptime.

Seems that metro-messes with lots of charging stations are few and far between as is the ability of the grid to service the increased load.