Split: Hollow FJR Axles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2006 is solid, too. Confirmed after the group buy for front axles spools/crash bars last year. No way to install the spools.

I would think if they were a weak point you'd see at least one post of "I broke my hollow axle". As hard as some people ride on this forum, someone would have seen at least one failure. They could have swapped out a lesser grade solid one for a stronger allow that is hollow and lost no strength and lost some weight.

Some strength of materials had been mentioned before, along with various steel specifications. Really, if the bearings are set to the outside, and the forks are as close as they are, I'm thinking if you are jumping the FJR (which we are not) and hitting hard, you'd worry about the shear strength. Other than that, let the bearings do the work and try not to make this into another never ending thread. It's a tube, or is it a rod, or is it a tube......hmmmm?

They were switched from hollow to solid when a number of riders reported an odd whistling sound coming from somewhere behind them at speed.

They were switched back to hollow when it was realized that because of the FJR's performance, every sound was coming from somewhere behind them, so the hollow axle was, in fact, causing nothing.

Last edited by a moderator: