Split - Non-Philips LED H4 Bulbs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In discussion on the ST forum, it was mentioned there may be a rise in the cutoff on the right side (but the cutoff line is still straight). Depends on the bike, but it may be possible to rotate the bulb within its holder........ what I'm saying is perhaps post up a photo of the bike as you sit vertical on it, lights shining against a garage door or wall that's maybe 25 feet or so away. At the moment, can't tell in your current photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did rotate the bulbs to level when I installed them. They were both titled about 5 degrees. And in the photo I was sitting on the bike and level. I was going to try to shine the lights on the garage door but the driveway slopes down to the street. I'll see if I can find a good wall to use.

Finally got out last night and adjusted the headlights. Looks great! The cutoff along the fence is almost as sharp as my car. The truck was gone but there was a Jeep in almost the same spot. Winner, winner chicken dinner!
smile.png

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/chazglenn3/20160105_192130.jpg

Finally got out last night and adjusted the headlights. Looks great! The cutoff along the fence is almost as sharp as my car. The truck was gone but there was a Jeep in almost the same spot. Winner, winner chicken dinner!
smile.png

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/chazglenn3/20160105_192130.jpg
That's more like it! Cutoff is good and heading in the right direction. The high beam should be better as well. No point in lighting up the tree-tops. Someone needs to talk with the Jeep owner about parking on a sidewalk.
no.gif

I got these and installed them. I solved the rotation issue by drilling new screw holes in the removable mounting collar and repositioning the plastic collar within the metal piece. I didn't get it exactly right but it's very close. As far as light, I rode to work yesterday morning (leave the house @ 5:30am) and there was no problem other than I may need to adjust the height a little. Spread seemed very good.

WP_20160105_17_07_07_Rich_LI_zpsnboqpt3u.jpg

You can see where I marked the holes to drill.

WP_20160105_17_19_03_Rich_LI%201_zpssd9zoxue.jpg

Some grinder marks are shown where I smoothed out the burrs from the drill press.

WP_20160105_17_19_12_Rich_LI%201_zpsy55iet0q.jpg

In addition, I think you can fine tune it a little by slightly moving the cutoff shroud over each low beam LED. You wouldn't want to move them too much to avoid metal fatigue, but a little shouldn't be too bad.

So it looks like this is an LED retrofit that has a proper cutoff and beam control.

However, it's still not plug and play as modifications have to be made to orient the light source correctly.

Frustrating!

Thanks for all your work and for posting the results
smile.png

I did not adjust them down very far at all. I did not make the modifications to my bulbs. I just turned them a bit further in their mounts to get them level. I consider my installation plug and play. Spiderman over on the ST-Owners forum has been in constant contact with the Chinese manufacturers and a lot of the corrections made are from his suggestions. He has advised them of the issue of them not being level and I would expect new bulbs will be corrected soon.

I did not adjust them down very far at all. I did not make the modifications to my bulbs. I just turned them a bit further in their mounts to get them level. I consider my installation plug and play. Spiderman over on the ST-Owners forum has been in constant contact with the Chinese manufacturers and a lot of the corrections made are from his suggestions. He has advised them of the issue of them not being level and I would expect new bulbs will be corrected soon.
My mistake!

Looking at the post above on "solving the rotation problem" I thought that was you.

Gotta read more carefully
rolleyes.gif

I just ordered a set through Amazon. (I did not want to create an account at Alibaba, required to contact Cindy Zhou via the link in the <1st?> post.)

Estimated delivery is Feb 19th - March 8th. I guess it's still coming from China.

I just bought: 'Hi/Lo Auto LED Headlight Kit by Evitek, H4 6500K, Easy-Installed All-in-One ...
www.amazon.com
Package includes: 2*LED Bulb 2*Ballast 1*Manual Specifications: Model: G6-H4 Bulbs type: LED Certification: CE, RoHs Power: 40W Lumen: 4500LM Voltage: 8-48V DC Waterproof

Yes, they probably are still shipped from China. You get the added comfort of being covered by Amazon's customer service if something goes wrong. I was impressed with how quickly they arrived. The extended shipping time could be due to them making another revision to the design. They are very responsive to spiderman302's suggestions from over at the ST forum for changes to the design. You will love these bulbs!

Bought a set of these and just received them. Wanted to upgrade H4 s on my Moto Guzzi and W650.

Didn't fit the Guzzy headlight shell and the beam pattern on the W650 was not to my liking.

Did an A/B test from standard H4 halogen to the LED and not even close! Bright but all over the place and not level.

Not even going to consider trying them in the FJR.

So, before I send them back on Monday, if someone makes me a reasonable offer, I will mail them to you. (consider about $8 for postal fee.)

They are killer bright and I want to like them, but from what I saw in my test, better than most but still not a suitable "plug and play" solution, IMHO.

Maybe if I was riding at night out in deer country, I would be thinking differently .

Put them up on Kijiji and looks like they are sold. So I loose $10 for my trouble...no biggie.

Eventually, someone will come up with a really well engineered part.

I set up a test, with the FJR, of the stock H4 halogen vs the H4 LED for low beam pattern cutoff control.

LED is in the left headlight and the halogen is in the right. Each light was photographed independantly.

The bike and camera were not moved however the images were adjusted to highlight the light pattern on the wall.Relative brightness CANNOT be compared.

The lights were level adjusted to relatively the same position on the wall.

The halogen shows a clear cut off with no spill above the black wall paint.

The LED shows a poor cut off with the majority of the the beam pattern diffused and considerable flares of light well above the black wall paint.

I got similarly differing patterns testing a single 7" standard motorcycle headlight.

IMHO,this LED is not a good replacement for a stock halogen if low beam pattern control for road use is a consideration.

H4%20halogen_zpsan2gmw11.jpg

H4%20LED_zpshgqc0vwj.jpg