Split - Non-Philips LED H4 Bulbs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom-

I'll reiterate what I told people at the SEO Ramble. The cutoff on the LED is not perfect but it is acceptable to me.

The negative complaints are valid. In garage wall testing the LED do not produce as crisp of a cut off line as the halogen. There was a bit of scatter but I deemed it acceptable enough to try them out. I adjusted the headlights down about 1/8th of a turn when I installed them.

I have approx 8K miles on these LED's (including a ride of almost 1K today which had several hours of night time riding on two lane roads) and I have never been flashed.

At this point I am happy and have no reason to take them back out.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Never been flashed" is not proof of anything.

I have seen many on coming cars that I know have poorly aimed lights but don't flash as I understand they don't have high beams on and won't get the message if I did flash.

My thought is that if I have to aim the lights lower to compensate for the scatter, I'm not getting the light out to the same distance as with well cut off optics.

The other consideration, for me, was the low beam light directly in front of the bike was too bright.

That sounds counter intuative but the local bright light impairs the ability to see out into the far field.

Anyway, just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions
smile.png

The need to lower the aim may be for scatter, or imperfect placement of the light source relative to the reflector. I agree the LEDs are not as clean as the incandesant or HID which have a smaller source. Brandon followed me at SEOR and I noticed his lights were good brightness and color, but the aim was still a little dazzling, even in daylight. I think I can manage that, and I use Clearwater LEDs for real distance on the road anyway.

As I understand it, the shields on these lights can be tweaked to fine-tune the cutoff and that might be what it takes to get them a little closer to light perfection. I know that going back to halogen is not an option.