Split off topic about gear changing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art miller

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
This question is somewhat off topic but it is about transmission health. I rarely use the clutch to up shift. I simply roll off the throttle and snick it into the next higher gear. Is there any known negative effects from this practice?  

This question is somewhat off topic but it is about transmission health. I rarely use the clutch to up shift. I simply roll off the throttle and snick it into the next higher gear. Is there any known negative effects from this practice?  
I had no idea that was even possible, at least not without carefully managing engine RPM on the snick...

Reminds me of when my dad told me, many years ago, it was possible to shift a manual transmission car smoothly between gears without using the clutch, if you matched the engine rpm to the road speed for the gear you wanted to move into. And then looked me in the eyes and said "don't ever try that on our cars or you'll regret it".

After which, of course, I immediately began learning how to do it :). I even managed to learn how to shift into first gear, given at least a little rolling start on a hill. Which, considering we're talking about a 350 cubic inch V8 Chevrolet BelAir with three on the column isn't too shabby :).

Had to do that trick once when the clutch cable on my 1963 VW Transporter broke late one night in Richmond, Va. Made it home, but traffic lights were problematic. WBill

Latest posts