Split: Off-topic about valve check

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valve check with the engine out of the frame would be REALLY easy!!
I asked my dealer about a valve check while the recall was being done. They didn't offer a discount given the engine will be out of the bike. I passed on the 4.5 hours @ $175/hour (including tax) they wanted to charge me. 

I passed on the 4.5 hours @ $175/hour (including tax) they wanted to charge me. 
Almost $800 for a valve check with the engine already out of the frame?

Could be done in maybe an hour with the engine sitting on a bench.  Give it another 1.5 hours if adjustments are needed.  Pretty spendy shop rate!!

I asked my dealer about a valve check while the recall was being done. They didn't offer a discount given the engine will be out of the bike. I passed on the 4.5 hours @ $175/hour (including tax) they wanted to charge me. 

What a shite dealer!

To be specific, the 4.5 hours was <if> adjustments needed to be made. The say 2 to 2.5 hours for the check. With 10.1% tax their rate Is $172/hr. So that's $344 to $430 for the check and $744 is they need to make changes. I'll try and negotiate but I think this job is happening in my garage in this spring/summer.

Rode in to drop the bike off.  I'm at 22,000 mi. so asked about valve check even though somewhat early.  He would just add the time at shop rate of $110/hr. while on the bench.  

I'll probably have him do it to throw him a bone.  He's scheduling 20hrs but only getting paid for 14 from Yamaha and they've always treated well.

Maybe have it done after tranny reassembly.