Split: off-topic slipper clutches

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammess

Reaction score
This is a quality control issue with the fabrication of a part, namely a gear. I thought I read they have already taken care of this issue in the latest models being sold. I for one like the 6 speed and the easy pull of the clutch lever due to the slipper deign. 
I could see the slipper clutch which can be easily installed in my gen2.  if I ever needed a new clutch I might even think about it.  

I could see the slipper clutch which can be easily installed in my gen2.  if I ever needed a new clutch I might even think about it.  
Agree.  If I ever needed to replace clutch bits, I would likely convert to the slipper.  Not because of the slipper function but for the lighter pull.  Not generally a problem for me but can be an issue in stop-and-go traffic with my (slightly) arthritic hands.  Left hand is worse than the right because of some extensive surgery a few years ago.

I was a fairly early adopter of the slippery clutch parts upgrade on pre-slipper clutch bikes.  I’ve got 50k miles on the bike now, probably 35k since the clutch upgrade, and I’ve had no problems with it at all.

Initially I liked the lighter clutch lever pull, but now I can’t really remember what the original one felt like.  But what I do notice more in comparison to my other bikes is the “feel” of the engagement zone.  Not sure I can adequately describe the difference, but it is different, and I like it.  

It was a good amount if money.  Around $300 for parts when I did it.  No idea how that has changed since then.  I think it has improved my enjoyment of riding that bike.  I guess that is worth $300 over 6 years (and not selling anytime soon).   Heck, I spent more than that for YES warranty extension and never used it once.