Sport Riding help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to be the fun slayer here but the FJR is not a beginner bike.

I started on a Yamaha XS 400, dropped the thing daily. It was small and light enough that the lessons learned did not cost me much.

Second bike was a Yamaha Maxim, dropped it one time in a parking lot. The leather jacket was fixed and the chrome replaced at minimal cost.

After 2 smaller bikes, a motorcycle safety course and 88K miles on bikes, I still think I was not prepared for the FJR.

What is the quickest way to kill off a 16 year old kid? Give him the keys to your Corvette. Same principle.

All that being said, you are an adult, go do what you want and have fun. :)

When I first saw this thread, I resisted posting.

Once I get going on this topic, I can't stop without writing a book about it.

There are so many things that all have to work together, in order to ride twisties skillfully and with a high level of safety.

Well now Yort has bumped this back to the top and I just can't resist adding some BS.

* As has been said, "ride your own ride"...your speed must remain within your comfort zone for safety.

* Smoooooth not Speed should be the goal.

(This part on visual horizon being tied to the throttle is from safety guru, Eric Trow (Rider magazine)

* You must key on the "visual horizon" to be smooth. (v h = point where road disappears over rise or around bend)

* Your overall (safe) speed at any time is determined by being able to stop within your "visual horizon".

* As the visual horizon gets closer, you roll off the throttle.

* As the visual horizon gets farther away, you roll on the throttle.

* If the v h is staying at a constant distance, the throttle stays constant.

Just being aware of these aspects of the visual horizon and concentrating on them will eliminate a lot of the otherwise arbitrary aspects of riding twisties involving throttle control!

But there is much more to add. The stuff below I will mention but not go into any details in this post.

(If I'm asked, I'll explain in more detail.)

* "Look where you want to go" has been mentioned. You want to see as far ahead as possible and concentrate on the

v h and quickly scan other aspects such as road surfaces, rear view mirrors, instruments, etc.

* In order to maximize your view around corners, your ideal line will be a "delayed apex".

* In order to maximize your bikes traction and control its lean angle you need to use body positional weighting.

* In order to take full advantage of your suspension and engine braking you must keep the RPMs in a higher range

and properly modulate braking.

* Unless you are passing, the centerline and the edge line are your limits! Stay within them!!

* Unless there is reason to do otherwise, stay in the left "wheel track" of your lane. This puts you farthest from the edges and gives you the most time to react to animals coming out of the woods.

* Do NOT ride staggered formation in technical sections. Space out and go single file. Don't pass on right.

* Actively position yourself in a defensive manner as you ride. Read the clues to upcoming potential problems and

search for escape routes.

I can't say enough about having your suspension set up for your weight. It only takes about 5 min. for someone to set it up for you. And don't take it to a shop, there are any number of guy's who'll be at EOM that can set it up in the parking lot for you. Tightening it up a bit will make all the difference in the world. I don't know if you have a track close to you, but a couple of trackdays in the beginners class with some good instructors, combining both classroom discussions, and some great seat time, IMHO will help speed up your learning curve immensely. Again, IMHO riding with some good riders who know that you really want to learn how to pick up the pace will be more than glad to "wick it back a little" so you don't get yourself into any trouble. Again watching the lines that good riders pick, will make learning how we do it just that much easier. See you at EOM. Hey! I'll tell you what, look me up and I'll set it up for you. Ride Safely!!!!!!!!!!!! Dave

Latest posts