Sport VS Tour Mode - EXACTLY what is going on?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrstphrM

ChrstphrM
Reaction score
I am looking for answers to the questions below. Please do not respond with general types of posts. I am looking for science rather than conjecture.

ASSUMPTIONS
0T - 0% or Zero Throttle
WOT = 100% or Wide Open Throttle
DOR = Degree(s) of Rotation
SOR = Speed of Rotation
S = Sport Mode
T= Tour Mode

KNOWN
Max power is the same for both S and T.
I have seen this proven with dyno results for both S and T snapped near instantly from 0T to WOT. So please don't bother arguing against this.

EXPERIMENT
Mechanically rotate the throttle so it takes exactly One Second to go from 0T to WOT in each mode.

QUESTIONS
1. Do both S and T reach WOT with the same DOR or does S require fewer DOR to reach WOT?
1a. Do S and T reach WOT at one second or does S reach WOT in less than one second?

2. If S requires fewer DOR to reach WOT, does the throttle reach a hard stop or keep turning until it reaches the same max DOR as T?

3. If S requires the same DOR to reach WOT, at 1/2 the max DOR does S produce more cumulative power than T?
3 a. If S requires the same DOR to reach WOT, at 1/2 the max DOR does S produce a higher top speed than T?

4. Has anyone used a dyno to demonstrate exactly how S and T function relative to each other with the same throttle DOR and SOR?

THOUGHTS
I have not seen dyno test results to show exactly what is going on for Sport VS Tour mode. Nor have I seen anything published by Yamaha which might answer my questions.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

I believe that all the Touring mode slows the throttle response, no more, no less.

Whip the throttle up or down in Sport mode, you get instant response. Do the same in Touring mode, it will get to the same power level, but take a little time to get there.

I find Touring mode useful particularly in low speed manoeuvres in my YCC-S 2018 (never available in the US) where I can't manually slip the clutch. I will very occasionally select it for very slippery roads, but 99% of the time I prefer the instant response of Sport mode.

Thanks mcatrophy, but your reply does not answer my specific questions. Rather, it is the sort of general response I've seen all over various forums including this one. Even Yamaha's description of Sport vs Tour is put in general terms like yours. So you are in good company. I really do appreciate your effort and input, but I am looking for something much much more specific.

My desire is to obtain a scientific understanding of what exactly happens when one turns the throttle an identical amount and at an identical rate in each of the 2 available modes relevant to each other.

As I noted, in my initial post, I've seen dyno results for what happens when the throttle is snapped to full in both Sport and Tour modes.
The dyno results are pictured below and are basically identical within a tiny margin of error for both Power (HP) and Torque.

For anyone else attempting to tackle this issue, I would appreciate answers to my exact questions. The addition of Dyno results would be super valuable as well.

Again, thanks mcatrophy for your response. I really do appreciate the effort.

FJR1300_Dyno1.JPG

I have not seen dyno test results to show exactly what is going on for Sport VS Tour mode. Nor have I seen anything published by Yamaha which might answer my questions.

Nor have I since the 2013 was released on this forum or elsewhere. Your pointed question is a good one. When are you going to do the dyno research and publish the results?

Thanks mcatrophy, but your reply does not answer my specific questions. Rather, it is the sort of general response I've seen all over various forums including this one. Even Yamaha's description of Sport vs Tour is put in general terms like yours. So you are in good company. I really do appreciate your effort and input, but I am looking for something much much more specific.

My desire is to obtain a scientific understanding of what exactly happens when one turns the throttle an identical amount and at an identical rate in each of the 2 available modes relevant to each other.

As I noted, in my initial post, I've seen dyno results for what happens when the throttle is snapped to full in both Sport and Tour modes.
The dyno results are pictured below and are basically identical within a tiny margin of error for both Power (HP) and Torque.

If the dyno run takes more than a couple of seconds, I wouldn't expect any significant difference between the two traces.

Since all the Touring mode does is to delay the throttle opening, once the throttle opening has caught up with the throttle control, the power/torque curves will be the same. My seat-of-the-pants feel is that the throttle at the engine takes maybe half a second to catch up to the control demand. Once the engine throttle has caught up with the throttle tube, torque/power will be the same.

A possible response for the Touring mode (purely my guess, but I think reasonable):

(Click on image for larger view)

I think you may have missed a couple of possibilities:

Timing curve
Injector duration
F/A ratio
Steady state (eg: cruise) vs throttle movement

I think you may have missed a couple of possibilities:

Timing curve
Injector duration
F/A ratio
Steady state (eg: cruise) vs throttle movement
If that's about my preceding post, there's no need for any complication as to how the mode is achieved.

A few comments:

Anything that changes the F/A ratio would probably take emissions outside the very tight legal requirement. And why bother when you have total CPU control over the engine throttle?

Steady state: the engine throttle will be the same regardless of mode, that is certainly my seat-of-the-pants impression, it feels like the same amount of twist to maintain a constant speed. Why have anything different? Yamaha do strongly imply power levels are the same at any throttle setting.

Injector duration is programmed to give the required fuel for the current airflow into the cylinders, which itself is purely down to throttle opening. Anything else will change the F/A ratio.

Timing curve: I know that on Gen 2 YCC-S bikes, some retardation was used to reduce engine power during a bad gear-change to help equalise shaft speeds either side of the clutch to help it engage. But why do something like that on the Gen 3 when you have total CPU control over the engine throttle?

I really think you are trying to add complexity when none is necessary. A simple lag does do what they suggest is done.

Of course, what we really need is a two-channel video showing throttle tube and engine throttle. Any volunteers?

Last edited: