Spotwalla Change?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I just logged into Spotwalla and got the following banner at the top of the page:

" Please Read This
There's a new SpotWalla website and this site has a limited lifetime. If you're a SpotWalla user, create an account at New SpotWalla.com. After logging in you will be able to import your devices, trips, etc from this site. And if you're not a SpotWalla user, tell your family member or friend about this message. Thanks."

Anybody know what this is about?
Looks like you can transfer your data but any ride reports that are out there will eventually point to a dead link if you included one.

Edit: The site is actually new.spotwalla.com (not new spotwalla.com)

I haven't set mine up yet but will probably do so tonight.

Anybody know what this is about?
Looks like you can transfer your data but any ride reports that are out there will eventually point to a dead link if you included one.
 I did what he asked weeks ago.  What's not clear about what they said and asking?

And I wouldn't automatically presume that links will suddenly disappear.  It's possible after the "limited lifetime", Jason will redirect the URL to inhabit the old space, do an alias, or some other strategy.  Dude's very good at his craft. ;)

I did what he asked weeks ago.  What's not clear about what they said and asking?

And I wouldn't automatically presume that links will suddenly disappear.  It's possible after the "limited lifetime", Jason will redirect the URL to inhabit the old space, do an alias, or some other strategy.  Dude's very good at his craft. ;)
It was a bit of a surprise when I logged in.  I had not heard there were changes being made.  I don't think I got an email about it.

I use Bubbler GPS for my tracking on an Android phone.  They haven't done any active development with the program in quite a few years so I will contact Bubbler GPS and see if they have plans to accommodate this change.  (It automatically goes to spotwalla.com and uses the password you provide.  No option to change the address.)

Edit:  I emailed Bubbler GPS and then looked at the "Play Store" for Android Apps.  They have an interim fix.

Why would you presume an e-mail is necessary or primary?  You got the message when you went to the website.  Communication successful!

And why contact Bubbler? Don't presume changes to SPOTWalla affects Bubbler.  In fact, I use Bubbler too...and when I followed the Spotwalla directions...everything worked fine afterwards....I didn't have to touch anything on Bubbler.

I'd suggest doing what Spotwalla asks and don't read more into it than needed.

That said, I would make two suggestions beyond the website message:

I used the opportunity to donate to his effort again--it had been several years and REALLY appreciate the service Jason Jonas offers to our motorcycle community.  I'd encourage other users to donate too.

Once you migrate to the new site, use it exclusively from that point.  If you then go back to the old site while it's up and create a trip....you can, but it may become an orphan when the migration is completed.

I did read it all.  The old version of Bubbler would not work once they change over since it directs to spotwalla.com.  They have an interim version of the program that is to be used during the transition.  The old bubbler will work for now.  Have a look at the download for the New Bubbler GPS at the app store.

Why would you presume an e-mail is necessary?  You got the message when you went to the website.  Communication successful.
I go months (November to April) without using Spotwalla.  If the change had been made in that half-year window, I would not have found the message.

Not a problem and it seems to be sorted out.  I will change to using the new site.

Good thought on making a fresh donation...

Edit:  Info on the New Bubbler GPS

This version of Bubbler GPS is only temporary and is to be used during the transition period between the old and new SpotWalla.com platforms. It will be available to all users during the transition period, and will contain full Bubbler GPS Pro functionality for the duration of the transition. This application will ONLY work with the NEW https://new.SpotWalla.com

At the end of the transition period, the "old" Bubbler GPS Pro and Bubbler GPS Lite applications will be updated to use the new SpotWalla.com. This temporary application will subsequently be removed from the Play store.

If you have questions about this process, please contact [email protected].

If the change had been made in that half-year window, I would not have found the message.

Not a problem and it seems to be sorted out.  I will change to using the new site.
Seems like another assumption.... 🙄  Maybe e-mails become a notification method in a later phase.

Glad it's working out. :)