sputtering

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryguy322

Reaction score
Does a powercommander adjust for elevation? I was in the mountains of montana and wyoming and my bike started sputtering and losing power. Then it would be fine for a while, then it would start again. I figured it was probably elevation, but then it did it a few time going through south dakota and maybe once in minnesota. If not the powercommander, any suggestions what it might be?

Did you have your ECU replaced by Yamaha during their recall for altitude problems? If not, see your dealer to have it replaced, the recall is still active. If you aren't sure, call your dealer, give him your VIN and he can look it up for you.

When I first got the bike I asked the service guy about that recall, read about it on here, and he told me it didn't apply. Well, after looking at the link it looked like my bike did apply. So I just called, talked to the service guy and sure enough, it applies to my bike. He told me that typically it doesn't affect anyone around here because there isn't enough elevation change, so that's probably why he blew me off the first time. Anyway, new ecu is on order but it will probably take a while because it shows none in the warehouse. Thanks for the info.

that kind of attitude always pisses me off. it's a sport TOURING bike. anyone who buys it will typically travel SOMEWHERE other than the local area. the least he could do was ask how the buyer planned to use the bike and then advise them. in reality he should have offered to do it when asked no matter what. and in reality reality they should have done it while it was on the floor waiting to be sold.