SS on the way to CFO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
I am thinking about trying to do an Iron Butt run on the way out to CFO. From Rockford, IL out to Custer SD, is 875 miles if I go the short way. I am trying to plan out a route that will get me up to the needed mileage, but not to far over.

Any thoughts how how many miles over 1K I should plan on to make sure I don't fall short? I was thinking of at least 75-100.

I am thinking about trying to do an Iron Butt run on the way out to CFO. From Rockford, IL out to Custer SD, is 875 miles if I go the short way. I am trying to plan out a route that will get me up to the needed mileage, but not to far over.
Any thoughts how how many miles over 1K I should plan on to make sure I don't fall short? I was thinking of at least 75-100.

I think 50 is plenty. I'm planning an in-state CA SS1K ride up to my brothers, It will be about 1030.

I think 50 is plenty. I'm planning an in-state CA SS1K ride up to my brothers, It will be about 1030.
..and remember to wait until 23:57 hours have elapsed before you get the final receipt. The closer to zeroing out, the more points you get! :unsure: :rolleyes:

..and remember to wait until 23:57 hours have elapsed before you get the final receipt. The closer to zeroing out, the more points you get! :unsure: :rolleyes:
Umm I think not. My plan is to hit the road at the same time I usually do to go to work (4:30 am) and ride until I get to CFO. Then I plan to SLEEP! Maybe I can mange another 500 miles the next day on a group ride, and kill two IB birds with one stone . Stone hard ass that is.

I think I just found my route. 1042 miles according to MapQuest, and 1046 according to Maps.Google.

Rockford, IL to Barron, WI. then to St. Paul, MN. Then to Sioux Falls, SD. Finally out to Custer and CFO. Almost all super slab, but the idea is to get miles under my belt fast, and I think this is the best way to do that.

Suggestions are always appreciated.

Umm I think not. My plan is to hit the road at the same time I usually do to go to work (4:30 am) and ride until I get to CFO. Then I plan to [SIZE=12pt]SLEEP! [/SIZE]Maybe I can mange another 500 miles the next day on a group ride, and kill two IB birds with one stone . Stone hard ass that is.
BAAA Ha Ha, with this group hanging around that will be your only dream.

I lay my route out in streets & trips, and use that milage to pick my end stop, pretty darn accurate. I used S&T to route me to my sisters house in seattle, had less than 3 mile differance at the end.

In light of recent events around St. Paul, it might not be as easy as it looks to get through there on the slab. You might want to check out some local news sites that may list traffic conditions now that one of the main bridges up there is out.

Gunny!......... but it works best when you have a "Rally-Bastard" waiting and worrying! :yahoo: :D

My own preference was to do more than a hundred over, but I didn't have things mapped out so I wanted to make double darn sure the mileage was high enough. I guess if you get 1050 or so with S&T & Google you'll probably be just fine. Good luck !

In light of recent events around St. Paul, it might not be as easy as it looks to get through there on the slab. You might want to check out some local news sites that may list traffic conditions now that one of the main bridges up there is out.
Good thought. I checked, and it looks like the bridge was right in downtown St. Paul. I will be staying well south of that area, so I don't think it will be a major problem. Still, I am sure the traffic around St. Paul is going to be bad, but I am used to riding in the Chicago area so not a huge deal other than time.

I checked, and it looks like the bridge was right in downtown St. Paul.
TiggerT

It was actually in downtown Minneapolis by the University and Metrodome area. But it would be wise to avoid that area altogether. They do have the 494 and 694 bypass North or South of the downtowns. Just stay on one of those and you should be fine.

devanator/Mike

Thanks Mike. That was what I was planning on. Maybe I can ride part of the way back with you and some of the other folks from MN, WI, or IL.

Maybe I can ride part of the way back with you and some of the other folks from MN, WI, or IL.

That would be fun. We'll see how things develop with the return trip when we are there. I'm planning on more of a scenic trip out their with kilroy and myself. On the way back I will bomb it back with limited stops except for gas. But I'm sure we'll be on the same road for a fair portion of the way. Good Luck on the trip out.

devanator

I just completed a Saddlesore ride late yesterday afternoon. Mileage via odometer was 1053. Mileage from GPS was 1033. Interestingly, this is almost exactly the same diffrence (+/20 miles) I got when I did a Saddlesore on my BMW last summer.

Bottom line - a fifty mile cushion will probably be fine.

Last edited by a moderator: