Ss1000 To Blackhawk Farms Raceway

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Reaction score
Going to be meeting some friends of mine at Blackhawk Farms Raceway July 30/31. I'm planning on leaving PA on Friday July 29 heading through PA then picking up rt70 through Wheeling WV, Zanesville, Columbus and Dayton OH, Indianapolis and Terre Haute IN, Effingham and Greenville IL and on through to St Louis and then heading north on I55 through Springfield and Bloomington IL then I39 up to Blackhawk Farms (just north of Rockford). Should be about 1100 miles.

Anyone live in the area or, even better yet, planning on being at BHF that weekend?

On the way home, if I'm feeling feisty, I might make the trip up around Lake Michigan before heading back to PA.

Randy,

If you do the round the lake ride you may want to stay away, FAR AWAY, from the 80/94 destruction zone :angry: . Seems they want to improve, yea right, that stretch of road.

We had gone that way on our way to Deals Gap over Memorial day weekend. The east bound traffic wasn't to bad at 6 AM, heavy but moving, but the west bound traffic was backed up from I 294 to I 65. If you must go that way try to do it early AM if you can.

Grnarrowe

If you do the round the lake ride you may want to stay away, FAR AWAY, from the 80/94 destruction zone
Are there any alternatives? Forgive the hijack, but I'm planning a trip to MN and was planning to go 80 all the way out to 35N. That route runs right through the area you are warning about.

Randy,If you do the round the lake ride you may want to stay away, FAR AWAY, from the 80/94 destruction zone :angry: . Seems they want to improve, yea right, that stretch of road.

Grnarrowe
I appreciate the advice. I was actually thinking about going the other way around Lake Michigan and eventually making my way over to I75 in Michigan. Leaving South Beloit, IL (location of the track) and heading north around the top end of Lake MI. Would be nice bonus to touch 3 Great Lakes in 1 trip.

If I decide to forego the trip around Lake Michigan, Is there a better route to come east other than I90 to I80? Note: these will most likely be as many superslabs as I can find. I don't mind running the twisties, just, not when I'm by myself 700+ miles from home.

antvq, you showin' for the cfo, or other plans?
I have a daughter in Coon Rapids. Have not seen her since she was 3. Now she's 9 and put the screws to the ex to be able to talk to me. Long story there. Anyway, now she is pestering me to come up and see her and the ex actaully said yes. So I'm trying now to figure out time, money, route, etc.. Figured taking the bike was cheaper, and funnerer.

Randy,

If you need to go around the south end of Lake Michigan you may want to try taking I 39 south to I 80, east on 80 to I 57, south on I 57 to Paxton IL and Route 24. Take 24 east into IN and pick up I 65, then north back to I 80 and east again. It's a little out of the way but you will avoid the 80/94 mess.

grnarrowe

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, the best way to avoid Chicago is to take the ferry across Lake Michigan. It takes 2.5 hours for the ferry to get across. Goes between Milwaukee and Muskegon, they have tie downs for your bike, you tie down your own bike. No one touches it but you. They have decent food on board. Look at www.lake-express.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks radman. Still trying to work out all the logistics to even make the trip. Then there is a very good friend from my Army days up in Cloquet to visit if time allows. If I still have time, I'd like to meet some fellow FJR riders from the Twin Cities.