SS1000 to CFO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those Wisconsin Troopers are some of the least forgiving that you ever meet. They don't even give other police officers professional courtesy when pulled over (which is the way I think it should be).

Rick, you have any suggestions to improve the thing? I am open to "expert" opinions...
umnik.gif
Not sure about expert but I do have an opinion. Your route has a lot of two lanes and small towns. Two lane roads can be OK but when they go through all these little bergs especially WI where they like to make the speed limits in town 25mph, time burners. The other less efficient issue is a serpentine route like this will require more stops for documentation. I see 8 for sure possibly as many as 10 in addition to start and finish A couple of those don't look like there's anything around to document those spots. Here's my idea take for what it's worth https://goo.gl/maps/7CSVc Ignore the little diversions into town in a couple of spots and you wouldn't need to go all the way into Dubuque, East Dubuque would do. IIRC finding gas in East Dubuque is difficult, a little pre-ride research might be wise.

Rick, you have any suggestions to improve the thing? I am open to "expert" opinions...
umnik.gif
Not sure about expert but I do have an opinion. Your route has a lot of two lanes and small towns. Two lane roads can be OK but when they go through all these little bergs especially WI where they like to make the speed limits in town 25mph, time burners. The other less efficient issue is a serpentine route like this will require more stops for documentation. I see 8 for sure possibly as many as 10 in addition to start and finish A couple of those don't look like there's anything around to document those spots. Here's my idea take for what it's worth https://goo.gl/maps/7CSVc Ignore the little diversions into town in a couple of spots and you wouldn't need to go all the way into Dubuque, East Dubuque would do. IIRC finding gas in East Dubuque is difficult, a little pre-ride research might be wise.
Spot tracking is also good evidence(as previously stated)

Intech,
Take a closer look at your Google route near the intersection of Interstates 39 & 80. It looks like the Google gremlin decided to give you a weird twist of detour.
I saw that, but also noticed that it isn't my intended route. That was an alternate looking at using 64 heading west. I corrected the link.

MNFJR05,

Try dragging your "C" waypoint over northwest to the northern terminus of US-41 at Copper Harbor at the far end of the Keweenaw Peninsula. It doesn't change your mileage much and IMHO the drive is nicer than the drive to Escanaba and Manistique. When crossing over the bridge at Houghton take MI-26 up the peninsula and come back down US-41. Part of the way the two are combined.

Here is my planned route: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=11147+Pine+Hill+Rd,+King+George,+VA+22485&daddr=US-17+N+to:US-522+N/Valley+Rd+to:I-68+W+to:I-68+W+to:I-70+W+to:I-70+W+to:I-39+N+to:Days+Inn+La+Crosse,+Sky+Harbour+Drive,+La+Crosse,+WI&geocode=FZ7JRwIdW4Jn-ympBOEFHiK3iTFw-Lyd1cVDRw;FeUVTwIdJt1c-w;FfNEWwIdeJxV-w;FaTYXQIdwitR-w;FaQfXQIdgRtA-w;Fah7YQIdTdwG-w;FfXVXwIdq8Tx-g;FdeyfAId9NWx-g;FSA-nQIdrXqP-iFL2mwFclYJtSkvqo3dd1T5hzFL2mwFclYJtQ&sll=39.815788,-84.808102&sspn=0.088342,0.146599&via=1,2,3,4,5&hl=en

Depending on how you're feeling there's some squiggly stuff NW of Rockford.

I thought of you guys when I rode by that turn the end of last month. I turned onto River road on the way out and then stayed on 72 on the way back. I still laugh about that! That turn sucks!

As for twisties, Marty, It will depend on when I clock out the SS1K. If i do that near Madison then I will be up for getting off the highway. How I ride the twisties will depend on how I feel. I am really looking forward to this!

I did some recon for the trip start on this end. I went to the gas station across the road from work to fill up and make sure that they have date and time stamped receipts. They do, but I need to tell them to reset their clock. It is 39 minutes slow. Of course, my initial evil thought was that would give me an extra 39 minutes! Just wouldn't be suppported by the other evidence. I am sure that I will end the trip well before the 23 hour and 21 minute mark. At least I hope so!

All set to go. Stopped at the gas station across the road from the plant after work and told them they need to change the time on their system. He did it right then. Good to go for properly date and time stamped receipt. Did the totally unauthorized TBS last night (Thanks Fred). With the new PR3's the bike is smoother than it has ever been. Sweet. Just downloaded all the Can't believe this heat! WTF??

I have a new one in the tank bag. No symptoms since yesterday morning. I am not going to change it unless the symptoms come back. It is really easy to change, so no worries there.

Latest posts