Ss1k Route Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F2002

Reaction score
I have the first week in July off of work and would like to do my first Saddlesore 1000. I live in the Twin Cites area (Maple Grove specifically) and would prefer a loop so I would start and end roughly in the same spot. I am sticking to the Interstates so I am preparing to be bored for 18 or so hours. Time and cash won't let me do 1000 miles one way and come back after a stay in a hotel. Going 500 miles on I94 and turning around and doing the same stretch of road for the other 500 would really try my sanity.

So far I have two loops.

Loop one: Mpls, to Madison WI, to Bloomington IL, to Des Moines and north on I35 back to Mpls. MS Streets claims this is 1027 miles.

Loop two: Mpls to, Des Moines then west to Omaha then trudge north on I29 to Fargo and from Fargo back to Mpls. MS Streets claims 995 mils so I may have to change my start/finish points to gain five more miles.

So, are there any veterans or locals that have any preferred routes? Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Brett

Brett,

You shouldn't have a problem with either route, Wisc. and Iowa speed limits are 65, and throw in the holiday week-end traffic. I just did a SS1000 we left St.Cloud, went to Sparta, Wi, Sheldon, IA, Sioux City, NE, Wahpeten, ND, back to St. Cloud. Plus the 70 miles each way. I got to St. Cloud at 6:00 am and was back home at midnight.

Bring water, stay hydrated. the super slab gets warm.

I just missed a BBG, I entered the MN1K, did a 1570 mile loop and came in 35 minutes late. I had to sit out an electrical storm in ND, plus a 15 minute stop by a local LEO,

it seems I had let the speed come up a bit. 90 in a 75. Nice guy, told me slow down,

I thanked him and left.

Have a great ride,

Tom in White Bear :D