Starcom Tuning Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
;)

I'm not done yet... I'm waiting for a head set replacement, I think I might have a bad one. (one of the two that is).

I'll post more when I get a chance to change it out.

I also haven't had a chance to mess with it this week.

"Baehr Verso"?
I sorry, I blacked out, I'm back. Just checked the price on that model.

It is $300 cheaper than their $1OOO Ultima model. The Ultima model caused me to faint.

Baehr is a nice looking system. I really like the form factor.

I suspect the price is the show stopper for most folks.

So the it looks like:

Baehr = Lexus

J&M = Cadillac

Autocom = Toyota

Starcom = Honda

Chatterbox = VW (worst JD Powers quality in North America, last year)

Cheaper options = donkey pulling a cart, which is what some folks can accept

It is cool to have options. Just choose your weapon accordingly.

Anyone seen the new Nolan Bluetooth Helmet, in person?

OK, the problem isn't volume, it's too much volume actually.
I have a couple problems actually that I'm having trouble tuning out or getting to work right.

Problem 1: I will get Push-To-Talk, but I can't get that right away so I need to deal with VOX.

Damn, you can't sing when you have VOX, that blows, it turns the music off.

OK, I have played with and tweaked both the Mic sensitivity and the Vox sensitivity and can't find a happy medium between No Vox and Vox that cuts the music out with wind noise. Maybe my X11 is louder than I thought.

Music is loud enough for me though so no issues there.

Also my mic picks up wind noise which the pillion hears. Maybe I'm just not tuning it right? But I've tried, oh how I've tried.

Rider Pillion.

Damn... I have the balance set to 95% my way towards the rider, and I'm still almost blowing my wife's ears out. Can't find a happy medium there either. I think I'm going to have to shove ear plugs in her ears which she hates.

Music that is constantly fading out is worse to me than no music. Grrrrr...

We're really struggling to find a happy medium...

It's awesome solo, but so far we're not having much success with music and vox intercom.

-MD

I've been using the Autocom for over a year. It's taken me almost that long to get it dialed in. There are 2 issues with probably all systems using VOX and helmet speakers.

1. Vox adjustment and wind noise.

2. Good sound with proper speaker placement.

The VOX adjustment on the Autocom is a PITA if it is mounted under the rear seat as mine is cuz ya hafta pull the seat every time you need to adjust it for different speeds. The less sensitive the setting (for higher speeds), the louder you have to yell to get it to activate. Too sensitive and wind noise sets it off. I recalled how well the stock intercom worked on my old Venture Royale with OPEN FACE helmets. The solution was, as S76 suggests, wind socks.

It is most important to have the mic right at the lips. I took a piece of foam AC insulation made by FROST KING and carved out a windsock that butts up against the inside of the helmet chinpiece and projects out just enough to almost touch the lips. The Frost king brand is quite soft and not very abrasive to the lips compared to some other brands.The weatherstrip has an end view of approx 2" x 2" and may be 6 or 8 ft long. Just cut out a slice of it. Good scissors are helpful.You can actually work it on a bench grinder to shape it to fit. Slide it in place with helmet on and cut it to proper thickness. With an Exacto knife or similar sharp knife, cut a slit in the foam and insert mic. The boom on my mic is supported securely behind the helmet side pad and stays put without adhesive. It can be easily adjusted. The foam is open cell and allows voice to easily get to the mic but it filters out wind noise. I now keep the VOX to a very low setting so we can speak normally but the wind stays out even at interstate speeds. OK, legal speeds, anyway.

Note: I'm trying to come up with an idea for a remote extension (like a speedometer cable and rotating knob) that I can attach to the VOX adj stem and run to the outside surface of the bike.

Speaker placement. This can be a tough one. If they are only 1/4 of an inch off from the ear canal, the sound will seriously deteriorate. Bass will become nonexistant and it will sound so tinny as to drive you nuts. The volume also goes away very quickly. Might be a reason why pillion's are so loud compared to yours. (hers are positioned close to optimum, yours are not.) Then you have to crank it up to hear it.

You may need to modify the padded side pieces in your helmet to install the speakers or you might need to remove them and make your own out of soft foam. Try to slide the speakers around with the helmet on. You will HEAR the difference when the placement is right. Try to hold them in place as you remove the helmet and mark the location with a marker of some sort. They not only have to be in front of the ear canal, they must also be up against the ear, but not too tight or they will bug you after a short while. I've seen many speakers velcro'd to the shell of the helmet because its easy, but the volume and sound quality really suffered. As I said, its a real PITA, but well worth the effort to have great sound and communication.

Most helmet speakers are quite small and are a "hard target". Someone on this forum posted about getting some real stereo headphones and soldering the drivers in as replacements for the originals. Since they are much larger, it is much easier to find the "sweet spot". He commented that now he has a concert hall in his helmet.

I will probably try that this winter. WallyWorld has a nice set of Sonys with extended base response for about $20. The ones I may spring for are Grado SR60's. They are considered to be almost "reference" quality by Stereophile magazine and used to sell new for $69.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Charlie,

Thanks, you have confirmed what I have been thinking... I do think I may have a defective mic. I have stick in mic's that are not on boom's but that doesn't mean I can't put a sock on them.

I clearly get the speaker position part. I played with that myself and holy crap does 1/4 make a difference, It's bettwen hearing nothing and making your ears bleed with the volume at 1/4.

So the speakers are not the issue.

We'll keep working it. Having 5 different helmets to deal with does not help either Grrrrrr.... (2 for me, 1 for the wife, 2 for the kids) Woohooo!

Charlie,
Thanks, you have confirmed what I have been thinking... I do think I may have a defective mic. I have stick in mic's that are not on boom's but that doesn't mean I can't put a sock on them.

I clearly get the speaker position part. I played with that myself and holy crap does 1/4 make a difference, It's bettwen hearing nothing and making your ears bleed with the volume at 1/4.

We'll keep working it. Having 5 different helmets to deal with does not help either Grrrrrr.... (2 for me, 1 for the wife, 2 for the kids) Woohooo!
Renegade,

Good luck on this project. It sounds like you're getting some good experience in proper placement if you're dealing with 5 helmets. Correct placement of mic and speakers is prolly the most common problem encountered with helmet sound.

I originally purchased CycleComm headsets for my old Venture and always complained about poor bass response. One year at Americade, I met the owner of Cyclecomm, and asked why the bass was so crappy. He asked me to put on a set of stereo headphones and asked how I liked the sound. I was extremely impressed with the full, rich sound. He said the headphone speakers were the SAME as in my helmet headsets. He said to pull the speakers out about 1/4 inch. When I did, most of the volume and quality disappeared. I've been a believer ever since and take whatever time and amount of work necessary to get it right.

A tip or four... use material from an old sock to make a soft cover for speaker/foam unit. Any kind of GOOP brand glue will come in handy with this project. Keep in mind that (usually) your ears aren't flat against your head...they tilt forward a bit (or maybe alot :eek: ) so the speakers must tilt backward slightly to match the ear.

Use a helmet cap such as Silky or Slik. With that covering your head and ears, the helmet and speakers slide on right without catching, and overall comfort is greatly improved.

Seems like with 5 helmets, you could swap some components around to weed out a possible defective mic.

Charlie

Charlie,

Renegade,

I also use the stick on mic for my flip front helmet and had a bad mic. It seems there may be a few of them out there. I got the replacement and it made a big difference in voice quality and wind noise. I could not get the any of the mics I tried to work in my Nolan flip face. It put the mic too close to my mouth and moving it to the side made problems worse.

I think my Starcom is finally dialed in for me. I received a cell phone call while on I-10 today and the caller could tell something sounded different but had no idea I was on a motorcyle at 70mph. I don't ride two up so the passenger noise isn't a problem and I use the Starcom earplugs instead of the helmet speakers. The music quality from my ipod is very good and the auto volume works well. I also use it with a cb/frs radio and the push to talk switch on the left grip. My riding buddy says the cb sounds very good. I haven't tried the frs yet.

All and all I have had pretty good luck with it. It's not as perfect as Starcom's website would have you believe, but it does work very well once dialed in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, months later after this thread posted and here I am. Same problem exactly as Renegade. Rider hears nothing but wind noise mixed into music/voice. The only time wind noise is not apparent is when the radar chips through. That must be a 100% channel. I've adjusted every setting to every possible position and the problem persists.

It's the pillion microphone that's guilty. Running solo is fine. If pillion unplugs, amplified road noise disappears.

So far here's what I've tried;

1. Reposition mic

2. Every setting in every position and tested

3. Pillion with face shield open and closed. Closed is much better, but far from satisfactory. Pillion prefers to ride with shield open.

4. Unplug pillion's head set - all is good.

:angry:

Please post up if you've found the magic..

No magic found, but the biggest hurdle I had to overcome is that as the outside noise increases, the volume in the headset/earbud increases, so if the mic picks up any windnoise, the windnoise is increased with the outside noise. The main volume control has to be set pretty low when stopped. I am wondering if the external volume control for the Advance unit would be worth while to make volume corrections on the move.

Burk

I was never happy with Starcom with a passinger. Rider is in air bubble, pass is in air flow.

Could never adjust anything to block wind noise from her helmet mic.

Bought an Autocom unit, woks better. Better not perfect.

Many variables speed, side wind, traffic. Not easy to find a setting that works under all conditions.

At least with Autocom dont have loud wind noise.

Good luck.

I did a lot of testing today with no good results.

Very frustrating.

Need a day to think on it before stating my 'facts'.

I will say I tried darn near everything and no good results. :glare:

I did a lot of testing today with no good results. Very frustrating.

Did you try calling the dealer you bought it from? Did you answer the phone when the dealer tried to call you? I think we know the answers to both of those questions. :rolleyes:

Yep, Starcom no good for rider-passenger communication. Been there, done that. Mic way too sensitive. I talked with the Autocom rep in Atlanta last weekend and will be giving this unit a try. He explained to me how their mic works differently than Starcoms and guaranteed it would not have the wind noise as I did with the Starcom.

Did you try calling the dealer you bought it from? Did you answer the phone when the dealer tried to call you? I think we know the answers to both of those questions. :rolleyes:
Well, uh, yes I did! :rolleyes: But that low life dealer was out riding his skoot on a warm Sunday or something like that. :rolleyes: . I have NOT given up on the StarCom. Jeff, thanks for calling me. It appears that Starcom made a change to the mic design but some of the older, too sensitive mics are still in the pipeline.

Jeff has sent me another mic to try, and went way out of his way to ensure the new part arrives before my big ride this Thursday. J

Jeff, you are the man! and I do appreciate all your effort and GREAT SERVICE.

I'll post up the results after the new mic is installed and tested.

Well I don't get it, we have 30,000 miles on our Starcom with no issues. Either I'm deaf and don't hear the wind noise or we're both deaf or........ I've no idea. We don't use the Vox at all, never have after trying to adjust it a few times. You speak over the stereo in your car so I figured it's fine on a bike, works great. No phone hooked up though , I guess that'd be where you need Vox ?

I also have my mike mounted off to the side, as mounted directly in front it pressed on my lips, still works fine.

Well I don't get it, we have 30,000 miles on our Starcom with no issues. Either I'm deaf and don't hear the wind noise or we're both deaf or........ I've no idea. We don't use the Vox at all, never have after trying to adjust it a few times. You speak over the stereo in your car so I figured it's fine on a bike, works great. No phone hooked up though , I guess that'd be where you need Vox ?I also have my mike mounted off to the side, as mounted directly in front it pressed on my lips, still works fine.
That's the thing: mic placement. You gotta futz around to find the ride place where the wind can't get to it. Either that or you both have each other on ignore. ;) Worse, you do what I do:

Her: "Wa wa wa waa wa wa!"

Me: "Yes dear."

Well I don't get it, we have 30,000 miles on our Starcom with no issues. Either I'm deaf and don't hear the wind noise or we're both deaf or........ I've no idea. We don't use the Vox at all, never have after trying to adjust it a few times. You speak over the stereo in your car so I figured it's fine on a bike, works great. No phone hooked up though , I guess that'd be where you need Vox ?I also have my mike mounted off to the side, as mounted directly in front it pressed on my lips, still works fine.
That's the thing: mic placement. You gotta futz around to find the ride place where the wind can't get to it. Either that or you both have each other on ignore. ;) Worse, you do what I do:

Her: "Wa wa wa waa wa wa!"

Me: "Yes dear."
sounds good to me :rolleyes:

R