Starter Issue? Display goes dead.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait... So you are running a new (off) brand of battery and started experiencing these symptoms shortly after installing it and you don't think it is the battery causing it? That would be the very first thing I would suspect. In the electronics trade, we always suspect the MRFWU.

It CANNOT be the relay. The relay cannot cause excessive drain, it can only reduce the current flowing to the starter motor, so while it might not crank with a bad solenoid, the dash would not reset.
Sorry guess again. The test in this post proved that it can. You are correct in saying that the relay on its own will not cause excessive current but you neglect to take into consideration the effect on the starter reduced voltage, causing reduced torque, causing reduced rpm given the load has on the current draw.

Why are you people having such a hard time with this??

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been periodically experiencing a weird starting issue with my '04 FJR. Was hoping someone might have encountered this before and could share their solution.

When I hit the starter switch, the starter responds for a fraction of a second, then stops. All power to the display goes away, clock & tripmeters reset. Hitting the starter again will sometimes produce the same response a couple more times; then it eventually acts totally normal, the starter engages, and the engine fires right up.

Battery checks out fine.

Cruising through the archives, I saw someone mentioned that the starter could be drawing too much current. If so, replacing the starter is the solution, yes?

Years ago I had a similar problem with an old car that ended up being a bad ignition switch wiring harness. Thinking along those lines, any chance my problem could be with the starter switch and/or starter relay rather than the starter? Would either cause the power outage at the display?

Any thoughts / suggestions are much appreciated.
Battery checks out fine? Does it load test find. The battery can have a no load voltage of 13 volts, but as soon as a load hits it it drops drastically. Put a volt meter on the battery and then try to start it and watch the meter

HOLY SMOKES! This thread is almost ten years old! JJ responded it to it 9 years later, but...

Did the issue ever get resolved? If so what was it?