Starter Motor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goody

Reaction score
If you need it now I guess you pay to play. If you can wait a while, I have seen used starters go for as low as $50 shipped. Years ago I bought a used salvage starter for $90 shipped. Some people have had them repaired by a shop for under $100.

My local dealer shows it for 370.00 and parts to rebuild it are less than 50.00.

...parts to rebuild it are less than 50.00.
FWIW and IMO, a home rebuild on the starter is not such a good idea. You may get lucky -- you win. You probably won't get lucky and now you are out some cash, a lot of work and you still have to buy another starter.

Rebuilding the starter is more than brushes, bearings, seals and a little cleaning. The commutator needs to be cleaned, grooved and resurfaced plus the armature needs to be leakage and conduction tested which the average home shop can't do.

Rick's is a couple of miles from my house, I have stopped by and watched them work and would recommend them to rebuild or to buy their rebuilt parts.

...parts to rebuild it are less than 50.00.
FWIW and IMO, a home rebuild on the starter is not such a good idea. You may get lucky -- you win. You probably won't get lucky and now you are out some cash, a lot of work and you still have to buy another starter.

Rebuilding the starter is more than brushes, bearings, seals and a little cleaning. The commutator needs to be cleaned, grooved and resurfaced plus the armature needs to be leakage and conduction tested which the average home shop can't do.

Rick's is a couple of miles from my house, I have stopped by and watched them work and would recommend them to rebuild or to buy their rebuilt parts.
Thank you. I will give them top priority, in fact I was wondering if this other shop were affiliated in some way with them. I have seen the pictures posted here of the inside of the starter, and heard the comments that those pictures were a good representation of what to expect inside. There was no way I would trust just a new set of brushes and a cleanup. The link I posted states "THIS IS OUR CYCLETRONICS BRAND REBUILT STARTER. OUR BUILDING PROCESS IS THROROUGH AND COMPLETE. WE REWIND ARMATURE WITH A NEW COMMUTATOR, INSTALL NEW BRUSHES, REPLACE BEARINGS AND BUSHINGS ALSO THE SEALS ARE REPLACED. OUR PRODUCT IS GUARANTEED FOR ONE YEAR FROM PURCHASE DATE."

Seems inclusive, but if you have first hand knowledge of Rick's and there procedures it's good enough for me. The only caveat is I don't have a spare to send to be rebuilt. I was planning to hire out the labor, so now am in a quandry as I would hate for the bike to be apart somewhere for 3 or 4 weeks waiting on the starter turn around. I will contact Rick's and see if they offer an exchange with a core charge.

When I last spoke with Rick's they would take a refundable core charge.

I was talking with them about the really cruddy looking starters coming out of our FJRs when one of the guys ran out back and returned with some starters out of Kawasaki and Suzuki engines. They made the FJR starters look good. Ricks then showed me what the starters look like after service and they looked new plus were fully tested.

That said, you can probably find an experienced local coil winding business that can refurbish your starter and offer a guarantee. Coil winding is pretty much coil winding regardless of what vehicle the coil came out of. The only time it gets interesting is in stator winding where ingenuity, craftsmanship and art come together such that the results can be greater than the sum of the parts and it will retain its quality over time (be reliable).

Just that quick. Today, an FJR starter went up for sale in classifieds. I see you jumped on it.

Goody for you

HOHOHO

Gary

darksider #44