Starter squeaks/chirps just as engine starts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mindtrip

Reaction score
Hi all! A weird noise has appeared on my FJR (2006 A, regular shift). I finally got it out of storage yesterday, fueled it up, and went to start it. It's been on a battery tender all winter, btw. It took a lot of repeated start attempts before it finally got running, lots of "hold the starter for a few seconds, pause, repeat". Since firing up the first time it's been starting fine since, but there is now a decided 'squeak' or chirp coming from the starter motor right as the engine fires up. I hear "crank crank crank fire, SQUEAK" right as I let go the starter button; sounds kind of like what I'd expect from metal-on-rubber rubbing. Any idea what's causing this? Has anyone seen/heard this before? Any ideas would be most helpful, I'd hate to get stuck somewhere if this is a sign of a failing starter and I should just replace it now.

Thanks in advance!

Drew

I am not familiar with the symptoms so I can't help there, but if you determine that you need a starter Bramfrank has one in the for sale section.

Sounds like a dry bearing in the starter motor armature or something. Dunno how hard it is to pull the starter and check on the FJR though. Might be easier to just grab the used one for sale.

hey mind trip. I think I had a similar sound in 2010. Got caught in a snowstorm crossing NC-TN border and had a slow speed drop (left side slider did the job, but caught the lower case ever so slightly)...barely a scratch. After the snow plow man nearly hit me, I picked up the bike, checked for leaks and damage and gave it a try---similar symptoms you mentiuoned, starter worked, but almost like a whistling sound. Got it back and found out one of the lower left case dowels ( I think 2 each) was slight bent causing it to rub on startup. The guy that was helping me work it said he couldn't even tell it was bent when the case come off (no binding, pinching)...must be pretty tight tolerance wise. Replaced the two dowels, the cover and it hasn't returned since. You mentioned you just pulled it from storage.. if your storage is a quarter like my mess, think something could have fell and whacked it pretty good during the incarceration? I think your problem area is in that lower left. Best of luck.

It isn't normal for the starter to fail on bikes with <150k miles. It isn't normal for starters to screech either.

The starter is easy to remove, it is accessing the starter that is a major undertaking which requires a whole lot of disassemble. If you aren't having any abnormal starting issues I wouldn't worry about the starter. If you absolutely want to know if you have a starter issue put a volt meter on the starter relay and an amp meter on the positive lead going to the starter motor. Crank the engine and in an instant the amp meter and volt meter will tell you if your starting circuit is healthy. Whiz (screech) and done, absolutely no guessing and then you can sleep better at night.

As rp. mentions, you may want to put an ear to the stator cover and have someone push the starter button. The starter clutch and gears live with the stator and the noise may be coming from there. If the noise isn't coming from there you can make a poor man's engine stethoscope to listen directly to the starter motor. Take a long metal rod or an almighty long screwdriver, put one end solidly on the starter motor and put your ear on the other end. Have someone spin the starter and you will surely and positively be able to listen to just the starter. If the noise is coming from the starter test it as previously mentioned. If the noise isn't coming from the starter, take your new engine stethoscope and start probing around. The poor man's stethoscope is surprisingly accurate in hearing individual engine sounds.

Since your poor unloved FJR has sat for so long, is there a possibility that the starter button is sticking and not releasing when you take your thumb off the starter button? If you can't visually determine this, a volt meter will show the dragging button.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all, thanks for the great replies! Very helpful!

No, my FJR isn't poor or unloved, just haven't had a chance to get it out of storage since last winter--lots of late snows here (Denver), and busy with work ever since. And my GF has been demanding a garage parking space since we've been having lots of thunderstorms as of late.

The starter button doesn't feel like it's sticking or slow, but I'll volt-test it to be sure. I've been testing this evening and the chirping is getting decidedly shorter and less noticeable. If I can get my thumb off the button right as the engine takes off I can avoid it altogether. I'm thinking rp may be on to something; last fall in October I had a low speed left side drop hitting some kind of car fluid on a cold road, cold tire, first thing on my way to work. Slider caught it, I have the aluminum sliders I got off this forum years ago, the left one ground down a bit and the case got a small scratch, I thought it was fine. I don't recall it sounding like this last fall, but I didn't ride it much after, it sat while I got the parts (replacement left side saddlebag, foot peg and mirror) and then the cold/snow started coming so it went into storage.

I'll poke around with a metal rod and see if I can isolate the sound. Thanks for the stellar suggestions!!!

smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
...lots of late snows here (Denver)...
Your profile says St. Louis, I probably wouldn't have inserted the quip if I had seen Denver. Having spent every summer in Rolla while growing up it would have made more sense for you to put your motorcycle *away* in July if you still lived in St. Louis. :lol:

Slider caught it, I have the aluminum sliders I got off this forum years ago, the left one ground down a bit and the case got a small scratch, I thought it was fine. I don't recall it sounding like this last fall, but I didn't ride it much after, it sat while I got the parts (replacement left side saddlebag, foot peg and mirror) and then the cold/snow started coming so it went into storage.
I'll poke around with a metal rod and see if I can isolate the sound. Thanks for the stellar suggestions!!!

smile.png
Strongly recommend you replace your left slider while you're at it.............................

Hi all! A weird noise has appeared on my FJR (2006 A, regular shift). I finally got it out of storage yesterday, fueled it up, and went to start it. It's been on a battery tender all winter, btw. It took a lot of repeated start attempts before it finally got running, lots of "hold the starter for a few seconds, pause, repeat". Since firing up the first time it's been starting fine since, but there is now a decided 'squeak' or chirp coming from the starter motor right as the engine fires up. I hear "crank crank crank fire, SQUEAK" right as I let go the starter button; sounds kind of like what I'd expect from metal-on-rubber rubbing. Any idea what's causing this? Has anyone seen/heard this before? Any ideas would be most helpful, I'd hate to get stuck somewhere if this is a sign of a failing starter and I should just replace it now.
Thanks in advance!

Drew
Drew,

My 2007 has always made a beep right at startup. Mine is an eletronic sound like you would get in a car, like a chirp or chime. The bike has always done it since new and it's not a bushing or starter issue that I have ever seen, more like an alert when the engine starts and starter is diengaged. Never been a problem.

Slider caught it, I have the aluminum sliders I got off this forum years ago, the left one ground down a bit and the case got a small scratch, I thought it was fine. I don't recall it sounding like this last fall, but I didn't ride it much after, it sat while I got the parts (replacement left side saddlebag, foot peg and mirror) and then the cold/snow started coming so it went into storage.

smile.png
Strongly recommend you replace your left slider while you're at it.............................
............and get the delrin. I would not put those metal ones on any bike I wanted to keep. Just one persons opinion and we all know the opinion analogy.