Stator Interest?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sales department was too busy to answer their phone or emails. I went to the accounting department & a very nice lady walked my request for confirmation to Sales.

My stator was shipped last Friday!

I have the UPS tracking number.

I'm a relaxed happy camper now.

dobias :glare:

5. When you first start the bike up it will make this horrible screaching grinding noise while the oil is pumped back into the compartment. Mine did this for about 5-10 seconds.
Er... say what?

I've replace the stator twice now...... neither time was there any screaching sound upon startup afterwards....
shrug.gif

Er... say what?
I've replace the stator twice now...... neither time was there any screaching sound upon startup afterwards....
shrug.gif
I also did a doubletake on that one, but figured screeching noises usually identify themselves after a bit, and the real trouble would be known eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
5. When you first start the bike up it will make this horrible screaching grinding noise while the oil is pumped back into the compartment. Mine did this for about 5-10 seconds.
Er... say what?

shrug.gif
Well, whatever was screeching and grinding is probably in the oil filter by now. It may be time for a little look-see.

Didn't Mogan report the same thing after his stator install?
Yup he said the same thing. It was a loud high pitched noise that came out of the side case. Not a grinding, oh my god the thing is eating itself alive, but a high pitched screach. Kinda like a Ducati normally sounds with its dry clutch.

Well I knew WC had no problems but for us less mechanically inclined I was just interested if there were any other morons such as myself out there that have done the mod?

Quick question from the mechanically disinclined. I've seen oil mentioned twice as afr as circulation,but nothing about oil during install. Is there something I need to know before I remove my stator cover? Even more important, after I install the one? If it's one of those things that are obvious when you see it things,then just smack me after you point it out :blink:

Thanks for ANY assitance.

The stator is in the engine, so there is oil in the case. I did this during an oil change, so I drained the oil then changed the stator. When the new stator was installed, I filled the bike back up with oil.

Gentelmen (and ladies):

I believe i have an answer to the "high pitched whine" several people are relating to after installation of the new stator.

Just finished the install of said stator. The first thing I noticed upon removal of the stock stator was a shinny mark on the hold-down bracket that retains the wires from harm. This was caused by the `generator rotor' having made slight contact with the holder bracket.

When assembling the new stator I found the wires from the stator to the rubber gromet, which pass through the receptical in the housing, were very short. Upon installing the hold down bracketI noticed the bottom angle of the bracket was forced up by the wireing. This will cause the generator rotor to rub against the bracket. This is probably where the `whine' is coming from. It wouldn`t take long to wear a notch in the bracket, or worse case, wear it off entirely.

I was able to slide the wires through the gromet with large amount of silicone spray lube. It wasn`t easy but it can be done. This allowed the wires to lay better in the housing without pushing on the bracket.

Started the engine and no noise. Now to fish the wires through the frame. I just temporarely run them on the outside in case I had to remove it again.

Like I said, this may or maynot be the whine several people have heard----YMMV

Sorry, no pictures. My camera failed on the 48+ and I haven`t replaced it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had been wondering what the "whine" noise could have been, that was being mentioned. I didn't give that bracket a second thought as being a problem. Thanks Rick for posting that observation.

The stator is in the engine, so there is oil in the case. I did this during an oil change, so I drained the oil then changed the stator. When the new stator was installed, I filled the bike back up with oil.

Thanks. That woulda been a nasty suprise :eek: Now i feel real stupid for not knowing that but, this is my first bike, so i guess I'll have a few more of these lessons in the future. At least all my other farkles have worked on the first try.

WOO HOO! I'm a pilot now :yahoo: