Stator Interest?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have this pup all torn apart and a couple of questions come to mind. Please forgive the ignorance on my part.

First, does it matter how the three wires get hooked up? They seem undifferentiated on the new stator. If it does matter, which goes where?

Second, I'm wondering if a cleaner and much simpler wiring installation could be had by cannibalizing the OEM harness. Don't disconnect anything but cut and splice in new connectors toward the bottom of the harness using a hitachi plug or other robust connector....

Thoughts/Suggestions?

P.S. F_cking with the wiring harness was a real pain!!!

For what's it's worth, I installed one of these puppies this week and took it for its test drive today. No apparent problems are performance results were very similar to what Warchild reported earlier. Observed the same odd pattern on "dipping" where the datel dipped after a new load was switched on and then recovered. A net improvement over stock.

The install was a bit of a pain and I was rather alarmed when I first started it up--there was a terrible grinding sound for about 7-10 seconds before oil was circulated and/or something ground down a bit. Yikes!

No subsequent problems after 200 miles of mixed driving.

Final Update

Due to certain new problems regarding a new inventory/shipping system, unbeknown to me, the GB should now be back on track. Everyone will be receiving a notice from ElectroSport shortly. At that point everything from there out will be between you and ESI.

Thanks for your interest and patience.

Good Luck and Good Night

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully everyone should have received a notice from ES. However, I’ve been getting some mail from latecomers. Instead of me handling each one twice, I’m posting the gist the email from ES. If you want one, please contact them directly ASAP. Read and contact accordingly. Thanks for your understanding on the matter.

Quote:

Dear FJR riders:

You are receiving this email because all of you were interested in the Group Buy of the FJR1300 high output stator, part number ESG130.

We have ESG130s en route to our business location. So for all of you that are interested in pretty much doubling the power available for accessories now is the time to sign up and get one of these units out to you at a steep discount.

It took us a while to optimize the configuration for the FJR, but here we have the best compromise between high rpm output, low rpm output, and current load on the regulator/rectifier.

The stock regulator/rectifier has no problem handling this extra wattage. It is well within the design limits.

Price ESG130: $120.00 (normal retail $179.00)

Warranty: one year

If you would like to order one of these, please contact us with your shipping and billing information. We need the following:

· Part number ordered (ESG130)

· Name

· Billing address

· Phone number

· Email address

· Shipping address

· Credit card number (Visa or Mastercard please)

· Expiration dateCVV2 code (three digit code on back of credit card)

Please ensure you mention “FJR GROUP BUY” to receive the special price, and use our [email protected] email address (which is where this email came from)

Happy riding!

---

Ritzo Muntinga

ElectroSport Industries

Electrex USA Ltd.

615 S Tremont St

Oceanside, CA 92054

PH: +1 (760) 433-0184

FX: +1 (760) 433-1052

Web: www.electrosport.com

Email: [email protected]

I have received several private emails from fence-sitters who are wondering if it's best to go after this stator, or wait to see what, if anything, will come about the efforts to retro-fit the 2006 stator into the earlier models.

My counsel at this time: go after the ElectroSport ESG130 stator.

The EGS130 stator has performed pretty well for me during the past 5000 miles. While I'm not fully convinced we are actually realizing a full 100-watt increase (despite what Ritzo's bench test equipment says), I am definitely confident that the power increase observed is absolutely worth the price of the upgrade through this Group Buy. Of that, there is no question.

The Yamaha solution (retro-fitting the 590-watt components into the prior year bikes) is significantly more expensive than going the ElectroSport route. I am talking several orders of magnitude here. And unlike the Yamaha components, the EGS130 stator is readily available and has at least a little bit of history now (~ 3 months/5000 miles of use). The ElectroSport stator seems to be rock-solid thus far.

That's all I needed to hear was the recommendation of the GB Satan. My credit card company thanks you once again, WC.

Many thanks to Fabone for bringing this our way, as well.

Did the connector issue get fixed? Does it direct connect or is there "adapting" to do?
The Yamaha connector would have been nice, unfortunately has not yet come to be. It’s easier to get Cuban cigars than those connectors.

You will install just as Warchild mentioned and showed in his earlier post. Once wires are fished thru, it doesn't matter which wire plugs where, since they all put out the same. You will probably want to shrink tube the connectors, perhaps a dab Hi-temp silicone and/or use the brush-on electrical tape to weatherize as you see fit. Reasonably straight forward.

Thanks for going through all the trouble for the group buy. I ordered mine on Wednesday afternoon and got it yesterday. Will be a great addition for the extra power. Very inexpensive for what it is going to allow me to do. just waiting for the gaskets from University Motors. ordered two just in case. $11 shipped for both.

fjrvtx1300s,

Lucky you!

I placed my order by email on Tuesday and can't even get a response from anyone there to confirm that my order went through. All I get is an answering machine for sales. Ritzo says he doesn't have anything to do with the orders...WTF!

My CC doesn't show they charged it yet, either.

dobias :glare:

I ordered on Tuesday, they gave me a tracking #. It will be to me on Monday. When I ordered mine thay had 41 stators left... :D Received my gaskets..yes I also ordered 2... on Friday. Now have to buy some BIG LIGHTS to hang of the mirrors... :yahoo: :yahoo: Smitty

After several attempts calling and getting the sales department answering machine, I finally got through to a person on Thursday and ordered one up. He said it was in stock and would ship Friday.

So, I guess my advice is to keep trying.

I called and ordered mine on Thursday, at the group buy price. ($120 I think and $10 shipping, plus California tax)

I placed my order by email on Tuesday and can't even get a response from anyone there to confirm that my order went through. All I get is an answering machine for sales. Ritzo says he doesn't have anything to do with the orders...WTF!
You will have a better chance at calling your order in, instead of emailing it. They are a small shop, under staffed and over worked with a new phone system, plus a new inventory management system. You'll need to be persistent.

Ritzo is the owner and doesn't have time to be on the phone. That is why he has people under him. You need to talk to sales. Sorry it wasn't clarified.

O.K. Lets hear about the installs. No BS. Tell the truth. How did your install go, from start to finish. Any ooopppsss?
From earlier in this thread.....

Here is the stock FJR1300 stator, still bolted within its housing:
oemStator.jpg

In many ways, the ESG130 stator appears fairly identical to the stock stator, although the ESG130 seems to weigh a little more than stock. As expected, the windings appear to be a pinch thicker, and there appears to be more of them. The armature ends also appear to be a bit larger than stock.

The ESG130 on the right, the stock on the left:

statorcompare.jpg

The new stator fits within the stock housing just fine. Ensure the three torex bolts are torqued to spec.....

ESG130installed.jpg

The only slight downer in this purchase is that ElectroSport can not obtain the original Yamaha gray connector that retains the three white (stator output) wires and affixes them to the Regulator/Rectifier. Towards that end, you'll want to shrink-tube the bare female connectors as they arrive from ElectroSport:

shrinkwrap.jpg

Then attach your connectors to the Regulator/Rectifier:

reg_hookup.jpg

You should probably tidy things up a little before bolting the R/R back into place:

tapedconnection.jpg

Finally, check the stator cover seal (yellow arrows) to ensure your cover doesn't leak oil:

coverinstalled.jpg

Only a few other things I can think of to add on the install.

1. The three T30 bolts holding on the stator are a bitch to get off. Mine felt like they were welded on.

2. Clean off the thread-locker thats on the screws before reinstalling them.

3. While pulling out the old stator wires (which were a bit of a pain), tie on a piece of string so you can pull the new stator wires through the engine bay.

4. Dont over tighten the side case bolts. They take a very small amount of touque.

5. When you first start the bike up it will make this horrible screaching grinding noise while the oil is pumped back into the compartment. Mine did this for about 5-10 seconds.

6. Depending on your drinking habbits, this is between a 3 to 6 beer job per person working on the bike.