Steering Head bearing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastpappy

Reaction score
Ok it's official I must be an idiot since I can't seem to find it though I've tried all the searchs. And I know I must have read it a half dozen times but I can't find the step by step on torqueing the steering head bearing. Anyone got a link?? :dribble:

Hope this helps:

stemnuttighten.png

Two step process as shown.

The torque on the final stem nut (top of triple clamp) is 85 ft-lbs. This is from a gen1 service manual.

Good Luck.

Thanks FJReady I think that's the one I remember also thanks Bounce but I did find that one doing the search but I thought it was more about the spanner than the process. I also thought I saw somwhere that somone fabbed up a castle type socket to use in place of the spanner or did I immagine that. :dribble:

Mr. Bounce my appologies I just read all the way through that link again and it does cover the process and with some pics. Guess I souldn't have had that extra glass of wine last night. :dribble:

I also thought I saw somewhere that somone fabbed up a castle type socket to use in place of the spanner or did I immagine that. :dribble:
Not your imagination. A forum member made a small batch of castle style sockets as a service to the forum, but he discontinued the fabrication after the initial run. I happened to be lucky enough to buy one, and it does make the job foolishly easy. That said, the spanner style tool would probably get this simple job done equally as well, albeit not quite as slickly.

If someone wanted to clone these previously made tools, I'd be willing to loan my tool to the fabricator. But I know of nobody currently producing those tools.

Photo assist:

212_lg.jpg

But how do you know that you've torqued them to the right preload? :unsure: Just by "feel" I suppose?

Do you know or recall the original size of the doner socket used?? :blink:

The ones that were being made by JustRoy were from scratch. No expensive sockets were harmed in their manufacture.

That said, the outside diameter of the tool's castlations is 54mm and the inside is 34mm (the latter being more critical dimension).

Here are some pictures of the JustRoy socket

100_3253.jpg

100_3254.jpg

100_3255.jpg

By the way, the hex on the back of the tool is a convenient 35mm. Same size as the big stem cap nut.

Here's an old diagram of the nut itself

SteeringHeadNut.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that channel lock click or have a dial to indicate the torque. :p Man I wish those sockets were still available there's never a machinist around when you need one. :lol:

Thanks FJReady I think that's the one I remember also thanks Bounce but I did find that one doing the search but I thought it was more about the spanner than the process. I also thought I saw somwhere that somone fabbed up a castle type socket to use in place of the spanner or did I immagine that. :dribble:
I have a post regarding spanner sockets, you can do a search under "oldmantwo" and see details:

https://s460.photobucket.com/albums/qq328/hp3489/FJR/

oldmantwo