Stem Mount Nuvi

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old Pilot

Reaction score
I'm about ready to buy a Nuvi 760, cradle, & power cable. I want to attach it to my stem mount plate but am unsure exactly how to do it. I'd like to order all the parts at once, have them all on hand, and get the thing wired & mounted.

Here's the Nuvi cradle-

ramholga26_img2.jpg

Here's the stem mount-

stemmount.jpg

What's the best way to mount the cradle to the stem mount?

Thanks

This might work...depends on the mounting hole orientations, you may only need two to line up?

ramb138ga26.jpg

Linky

or

Cheaper price I like this vendor, have ordered from them before.

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be holes in the plate that correspond to the nuvi mount. Stainless bolts and locking nuts are included with the mount. You will have all you need---minus the screwdriver and expensive socket to attach the stem mount.

The stem mount plate can be turned, and the mount screw fits more than one hole. It's counter-sunk for more than one orientation. I turned mine 90 degrees, and bolted the GPS cradle through another pre-drilled hole.

You can drill that plate to match, too. (Edit: I used one hole on the cradle and threaded a new small hex head bolt into the original stem attachment point. I added another small bolt to hold the other side of the cradle. If I remember correctly... no drilling or anything needed.)

If you turn the stem plate sideways, it fits the cradle base much better, and seems to fit the area in the bike / handlebar , tank area better, too.

This might work...depends on the mounting hole orientations, you may only need two to line up?
I plan to order the cradle from gpscity.com, thanks for the feedback on them. Am trying to not have to use a ram ball or stalk though.

There should be holes in the plate that correspond to the nuvi mount. Stainless bolts and locking nuts are included with the mount. You will have all you need---minus the screwdriver and expensive socket to attach the stem mount.
If the holes line up that would be gravy and just what I'd like, but can it really be that easy? If not, maybe drill new holes? Or, glue a solid plate to the back of the cradle and just velcro it to the mount? (I kinda like that)

36mm socket is about $8 at an auto parts store... Don't forget to torque it.
Yup, already have a stem mount installed, using it as a RD mount now.

If I do get the gps I want it on the stem mount, will move the RD to a reservoir.

The stem mount plate can be turned, and the mount screw fits more than one hole. It's counter-sunk for more than one orientation. I turned mine 90 degrees, and bolted the GPS cradle through another pre-drilled hole.
You can drill that plate to match, too. (Edit: I used one hole on the cradle and threaded a new small hex head bolt into the original stem attachment point. I added another small bolt to hold the other side of the cradle. If I remember correctly... no drilling or anything needed.)

If you turn the stem plate sideways, it fits the cradle base much better, and seems to fit the area in the bike / handlebar , tank area better, too.
That looks good, just what I'm hoping for, thanks for the idea & the pic.

Just get hold of a drilled & tapped stem nut and screw in a RAM ball and do it that way. Then you can sell off your stem stand and pocket the extra cashj you'll wind up with given that the nut & ball is cheaper than the stem stand (and provides better vibration isolation).

The stem nut is cheap and there's no drilling required, since the Nuvi bracket is from RAM, as is the bottom side ball.

The stem nut comes from 'he who shall not be named'.

Just get hold of a drilled & tapped stem nut and screw in a RAM ball and do it that way. Then you can sell off your stem stand and pocket the extra cashj you'll wind up with given that the nut & ball is cheaper than the stem stand (and provides better vibration isolation).
The stem nut is cheap and there's no drilling required, cine the Nuvi bracket is from RAM, as is the bottom side ball.

The stem nut comes from 'he who shall not be named'.
You are proposing a simplistic approach that seems way too logical for me :) .

By using the RAM ball/stem nut mounting, keep in mind that if you use a tank bag at the same time as the GPS, may pose a problem.

I use a stem mount and it sets the GPS above the tank bag.

By using the RAM ball/stem nut mounting, keep in mind that if you use a tank bag at the same time as the GPS, may pose a problem.
I use a stem mount and it sets the GPS above the tank bag.
The part number I provided gives you a 3" arm, but they make them in 3 sizes for the 1" ball - up to 6 inches long - and they also make a 'double ball' that allows you to have 2 or more arms in series - they even offer a 'triple ball' - it can get pretty interesting:

RAM-B-230U.jpg

RAM-B-230U

RAM-B-201U-A - 2" arm

RAM-B-201U - 3" arm

RAM-B-201U-C - 6" arm

Cyclegadgets' pricing is fairly good - and the selection process is very simple, but I order most of my RAM stuff from GPSCity.

I mounted mine just like Gypsy. I drilled the holes to match so that I could mount it more centered on the stem mount piece. It takes maybe all of 5 minutes. I see an advantage to the Ram Ball if you have multiple items that you want to switch around locations on your bike. I only have the GPS and the stem mount works and looks great.

From the perspective of appearance, the RAM solution is much cleaner because there is no ugly plate sticking out beyond the edges of the bracket.

And, it happens to be quite a bit less expensive.

I have a nuvi 200W using the techmount with the cradle from ram for the nuvi. I also use a quick-change adapter from techmount. Techmount Adapter This is an adapter that fits the round top plate, they have one that fits the square but I couldn't find it listed. You can probably contact them to find it. The adapter bolts to the back of the cradle and slides over the techmount and a spring loaded pin snaps in the center hole on the techmount. They give you a small tool that you can attach to your keyring to push in on the pin and remove the gps.

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

I have a nuvi 200W using the techmount with the cradle from ram for the nuvi. I also use a quick-change adapter from techmount. Techmount Adapter This is an adapter that fits the round top plate, they have one that fits the square but I couldn't find it listed. You can probably contact them to find it. The adapter bolts to the back of the cradle and slides over the techmount and a spring loaded pin snaps in the center hole on the techmount. They give you a small tool that you can attach to your keyring to push in on the pin and remove the gps.
Very nice install, thanks.

I am in the process of getting a nüvi 40 for my bike. This GPS has a small ball socket in the back which allows the suction cup bracket to snap on. I'd like to get a "RAM ball to nüvi ball" adapter if they make one. Does anyone know if they do?

Latest posts