Still alive

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m no propane expert, but I did live in a propane only environment for 7 yrs.

the new tanks you buy will need to be purged before first fill. (Just a chore not to forget)

depending on a few factors, like temp and levels in each tank, you may not be able to fill a big tank from a small one.

small to big tank fill can be slow, you may need to rig up something to hold the small tank while the transfer takes place.

the auto switching regulator is a great idea, IF you watch for the ‘I am empty’ indicator. Otherwise you end up with two empty tanks, and that only happens when its really cold. 

d. I have a spare tank as well, for a total of three 100 lb tanks so I can switch in a full one immediately when I notice that one is empty.
This is a very good way to manage supply. 

edit -

One tip, if you go with tanks that you transport to fill, check out feed/farm supply shops for propane. In my experience, they often sell propane at lower than average prices.

-Steve

Thanks. Never expected to fill from tank-to-tank but was expecting to swap in tanks as needed. This auto-swap regulator was new info for me. As for purging, another chore for the place that fills them. I don't consider explosive pressure vessels a DIY project.

It looks like Padre knows more about it than I do. Around here propane delivery trucks normally have fairly long hoses so they might be able to fill the snowman (pig) tanks, that is if they can get them through the space between the houses in the first place. You can usually contact the supplier and have them tell you what they can do for you. Typically, they supply the tanks and regulator.

For my 100 lb tanks, I use a regulator that connects to two tanks at the same time and automatically switches to the reserve tank when the first one is empty. It has a red indicator for the empty tank and I can remove the empty tank without interrupting the gas from the tank that is being used. I have a spare tank as well, for a total of three 100 lb tanks so I can switch in a full one immediately when I notice that one is empty. The empty 100 lb tanks sell for about $100 at building supply places. As I said earlier, I only use propane for the cooktop and don't use a lot of gas.
Please tell my wife I know something....! There are two types of 100#ers, one can be filled by a Bobtail (propane truck), and the other needs to be brought to the filling station. The difference is easily recognizable as one looks like a barb-e-que grill fitting and the other has a yellow cap and the outlet points upwards. Either type will need a two stage regulator (first stage reduces tank pressure to 10lbs, the second stage reduces down to 11 inches water column. Wish we were neighbors, I have an extra 100lber that is full and I have all the brass fittings you'd ever need (think hoarder). 

Never expected to fill from tank-to-tank but was expecting to swap in tanks as needed.
Your welcome.

I dont recommend tank to tank fills either. Better to have a collection of the various hoses with the correct fittings to allow any tank to connect to any inlet/regulator. 

another chore for the place that fills them.
Uh, not likely. Very few filling places know how or can/should purge a new/re-certified tank. If you buy a new/re-certified tank at a gas station, its been purged before it was delivered there. If you go shopping at shops that rebuild tanks and re-certify them for another ?10? yrs (maybe its 7 yrs, I cant recall) (which is the least expensive way to purchase tanks), you want to be sure its purged before you drive off. if you are price shopping be sure to ask if the tank price includes the purge.

-Steve

One more thing I have that I didn't mention is an adapter that fits the 100 lb tank and adapts it to the type of thread that a typical grill tank uses. That made it easier for me to get hoses to connect the tanks to the regulator. These adapters are common and the places around here which fill tanks all keep one on hand so they can fill either style of tank. This  looks like the ones I have, but you want to get your tanks first and make sure you get what fits.

It looks different from the REGO that I have, but it looks like it will do the job. I bought a cheap one when I first set my propane tanks up and it did not work well for me so I bought the REGO, which is designed for larger tanks. That Mr. Heater one looks like it is designed for RV applications, which I believe would be 100 LB or less tanks, so it may be a better solution.