Still winter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
This weekend weather fooled us a little. Two pretty nice days to ride Saturday and Sunday. Temps in the 40's and sunny.

Today we got hit with a Nor'easter as they're called around here. Thats when a wet storm arrives up the east coast (usually from North Carolina, thanks fellas) and runs smack dab into very cold air from Canada (thanks to you guys too) and produces lots of wind blown snow in a very short time. Usually means white out driving and hundreds of cars in the ditch.

It makes real spring time that much sweeter.

Here's looking outside a few minutes ago. Sorry for cellphone picture quality - and the window screen thats frozen in place.

0114081459.jpg

When I had a house in Palm Springs, during the fall when getting in the car the dash would look like something out of a Salvador Dali painting; on the way home from the grocery store the pop-up thermometer in the chicken would pop; the water in the bird bath in the back yard would be hotter than the coffee in your cup but everyone would say, “Ya, but it’s a dry heat.” Hmmm.

On days like today here in New Hampshire, the business owner calls and says his Infinity FX35 is upside down in a ditch; zero people from assembly could make it in; the town has plowed up a bank of snow at the end of my driveway that is 5 feet tall; there is 10 inches of new snow on the ground, but the old Yankee’s can be heard to say, “Ya, but it’s a light weight snow.” Hmmm.

Even though New England has had record shattering snow amounts during the month of December we have actually been lucky compared to many other states this year. I feel for you all that have borne the brunt of this winter, but dang, I’m sure glad it missed us :p

Taken near my home in Sandown:

SandownTown.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If it makes you feel any better, I had to use my electric liner and gloves this morning... it was in the 40s. But didn't need either for the ride home... up to the mid 60s by then!

MAN, I have not seen snow in years. don't get much of that white fluffy powder down here in Texas. The lowest it will be this week is 34. I am more aclimated to the upper 100's and perfer the HEAT

While true that today on the central Kali coast was a balmy 65F and I rode 150 miles just because the day was so nice does not mean I don't appreciate the beauty of the cold. You're backyard view of the snow beats my 65 degree F view of the Pacific ocean, sea gulls, great rides on roads like Santa Rosa, hiway 1 through Cayucos and Morro Bay.

Well, then again, it's just a different paradigm. :rolleyes:

Just in time for a weekend at Killington with my son! :yahoo:
Have fun man! I LOVE Killington!I actually though the trails at Heavenly weren't quite as good (although the view overlooking lake Tahoe is spectacular and pine trees in NE don't measure up.) when I was there in 91.

Just in time for a weekend at Killington with my son! :yahoo:
Have fun man! I LOVE Killington!I actually though the trails at Heavenly weren't quite as good (although the view overlooking lake Tahoe is spectacular and pine trees in NE don't measure up.) when I was there in 91.
I don't ski but I do snowmobile. Maybe I'll buzz up and run the slopes with ya. Of course then they would run me off the slopes with grommers. :assassin:

Tom

Here in Gothenburg it has been mostly rain and about +4 celsius this so called "winter" and I have been riding my FJR almost every day.

Today it was minus 5 and I thought I wouldnt be able to ride. But the road looked dry and at afternoon the temperature was +1 and a clear blue sky...

I just had to take a ride. Being careful in the shady parts of the road tough.

Great day again!

Drive carefully and enjoy every ride...

It was a little brisk riding into work this morning.

Thermometer outside my garage in West Richland said 8 degrees Fahrenheit. :blink:

Fortunately, the Hayabusa is torn apart to install HIDs, so I had to take the FJR into work. First time I've been on the FJR since November. I had forgotten what a luxury it is to have an electric windscreen. Almost felt like cheating.... :lol:

Can't blame NC for your latest noreaster.

We have been in a drought for the last 10 months. Most of the moisture in the rain storms passing over the state are evaporating before anything hits the ground.

You have to blame those guys further west and south. All the big storms are hitting the Rockies in Eastern TN and going North.

But that same condition is allowing for a lot of nice riding days for those of us east of the Rockies... :lol:

If it makes you feel any better, we did have snow last week. A "major" storm warning weather alert was issued. It ended up being a nice light covering of the ground and trees. It lasted for about 3-4 hours and stayed overnight before it melted by noon the next day. The NC highway dept was out there, with plows down, trying to remove that dusting off the roads. What a sight, I almost went off the road laughing. And the salt they were laying down!!!!! :blink: I guess they were trying to use up their years supply.

8 inches of new snow at my house this morning, an the temps are doing nothing but falling. The low tomorrow night is supposed to be -6, but the last time they predicted temps like that, it was -12 at my house. Why is the holy hell do I live here?

8 inches of new snow at my house this morning, an the temps are doing nothing but falling. The low tomorrow night is supposed to be -6, but the last time they predicted temps like that, it was -12 at my house. Why is the holy hell do I live here?
On the bright side, I haven’t seen a mosquito or black fly in weeks. :)

On the bright side, I haven’t seen a mosquito or black fly in weeks. :)
Or an FJR <_<