Storage For Ld Rides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazos parker

What??
Reaction score
I've had my FJR since abt 5/1/05. I always thought I'd get a Givi V46 top box for my travels. So far I've only been on 1 overniter w/ sleeping bag strapped to stock rack. However, I'm planning a week long trip this fall and a 4-6 week trip for next June.

I recently read abt LD riders using large duffles (waterproof?) strapped to the stock/modified rack or to the back seat.

Can some of you guys w/ LD riding experience give me some pros/cons of duffle bag vs top box before I spend my $$'s on one or the other?

As always, I appreciate any comments/advice you provide.

Be careful out there.

I've been away for several weeks, carried a full range of riding gear (hot/cold), sleeping bag etc, and in worst case I've used both the top case and a waterproof bag strapped to the back seat.

I only really use the waterproof bag when I've run out of room in the topcase/ sidecase/ tankbag.

Actually even on local rides, I run with the topcase all the time (no saddlebags) and keep it full of riding/rain gear, sweater, electric vest, tools, chain lock, etc.

Pierre,

You have a Yamaha Case and a Wilber Shock yes?

Any significant handling issues (high speed (freeway) weave).

On bike in the past I have always been wary of having a load that high behind the rear axel but thinking about a box for light stuff and a passenger back rest.

I still have the stock rear though but now clearly obvious that it needs an upgrade.

I like the cases on and run with a tank bag for tools and immediate stuff but can't quite get my work stuff to fit in the side case( it's a portofolio holder very thin but biggger than the side case).

BugR

Pierre and I share the same ideas, except that, for day-to-day use, I usually run with the subframe sliders (sidebags) installed and the top box sitting on the shelf at home.

With the stock shock, I've run fully loaded with the side bags full, top box full, and a large duffel strapped to the rear seat (plus I'm about 210#). If positioned well, the duffel works as a good backrest. I had no more high speed weave fully loaded than I do with a nearly-empty top box and no duffel. The little bit of weave I experienced didn't occur until I started approaching triple digits.

I am not an LD rider...longest rides are less than a week long and usually under 2000 miles.

However, I do have the top case and have chosen to use a duffle instead on many occasions due to the instability the top case causes at high speeds (90+). This is primarily due to the open space between the rider and the top case.

I know some folks who use the top case place a duffle bag on the passenger seat for extra space and to "fill in" that space. I have read that this solves the instability problem.

Heber Guy is presently on his way (or there by now) to Alaska on an 8 week ride starting in Arkansas on July 15th and ending with a ride through Canada in mid-Sept. He is using the top case and a nice duffle on the passenger seat. He is not a slow rider. If he gets a chance he may be able to post some very recent first hand experience.

I would go with a Givi top box... in fact, I did. For me, the top box doesn't really detract from performance all that much, and it's sure nice to have a fairly weatherproof container for your clothes and other gear.

I would go with a Givi top box... in fact, I did. For me, the top box doesn't really detract from performance all that much, and it's sure nice to have a fairly weatherproof container for your clothes and other gear.
Guess we are talking about a V46 not a V52?

BugR

46 here. More than sufficient. Got a canvas duffle bag from Eddie Bauer that fits perfectly inside of it and acts as my topcase liner. When that's not in there, it can easily accomodate 2 helmets or my backpack with laptop and briefcase-type stuff.

And here's a hint for all new Givi users...

...take out that stupid document holder red plastic thing. Just open it up (it'll be a lot harder than it seems like it should be), and then remove the two screws. You'll find you won't have near as much trouble getting helmets to fit in it.

Woodstock - great point. I've had the box on my bike for a couple of weeks and can't figure out how the heck to open it! I will sooner or later and will dispose of it.

Woodstock - great point. I've had the box on my bike for a couple of weeks and can't figure out how the heck to open it! I will sooner or later and will dispose of it.
Open it like you think you should. Pull on the upper part near the center (where the rectangular black plastic shows through), you just have to pull _hard_. It's a real bitch at the begining.