Sturgis 2019 info please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalingo

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi brothers

Im planning to go to Sturgis SD this year , is it safe šŸ¤£ for us ?? As is mainly Harleys right ?

I have few questions :

Hows the weather ?

Can I find gas on the interstate 80 ? Or I should take the interstate 90 ? ( coming from NYC )

Can I find gas easy during the rally ?

Is it fun to attend ? Or boring ?

If you guys want to give me tips will be great

I mainly do it for the trip ,gonna do a couple of ironbutts excited to discover the Midwest , and see the Mount Rushmore

And then going to FL passing by Texas and beyond

Thanks for the future answers

And happy Fathers Day to everybody there

Hi brothersIm planning to go to Sturgis SD this year , is it safe for us ?? As is mainly Harleys right ?

I have few questions :

Hows the weather ?

Can I find gas on the interstate 80 ? Or I should take the interstate 90 ? ( coming from NYC )

Google yields this wonderful magic webpage with the weather and forecast in Sturgis.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/57785

Google even shows fuel stations on their map by searching on the word "fuel".

https://www.google.com/maps/search/fuel/@44.4059205,-103.5424136,14z/data=!3m1!4b1

And Google even does super-duper magic and shows route suggestion from other cities like NYC. It's exact same technology I used to navigate from Paris through Bordeaux to St. Jean Pied du Port in 2017.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/New+York+City,+NY/Sturgis,+SD+57785/@41.2520415,-96.868698,5.5z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c24fa5d33f083b:0xc80b8f06e177fe62!2m2!1d-74.0059728!2d40.7127753!1m5!1m1!1s0x532d5b912e3b4203:0x2474459a3442ef6f!2m2!1d-103.5090786!2d44.4097069!3e0

And much like the A10...I-80 and I-90 have fuel conveniently located periodically....some of them even in dedicated stations and most west of Chicago are not on tollways.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi brothersIm planning to go to Sturgis SD this year , is it safe for us ?? As is mainly Harleys right ?

I have few questions :

Hows the weather ?

Is it fun to attend ? Or boring ?

If you guys want to give me tips will be great

I mainly do it for the trip ,gonna do a couple of ironbutts excited to discover the Midwest , and see the Mount Rushmore

And then going to FL passing by Texas and beyond

Thanks for the future answers

And happy Fathers Day to everybody there
Sturgis is safe as far as I've seen and although it isn't populated by my normal company I enjoyed it. My son and I stopped there for a night staying at the Buffalo Chip campground on our way to New Mexico. He was riding a Ninja 1000 and I was on my Tenere and no one gave us a single sideways look. Sturgis is as fun or boring as you make it, as there are many choices of activities all day and night. If your sleeping in a tent at one of the biker campgrounds I would suggest sleeping with ear plugs. Those Harley riders just love to get drunk and run their v-twins up against the rev limiter all night long.

If you're looking for activities to keep you busy, every campground has non stop things going on all day and night or you can just go down town Sturgis and people watch.

I attended the Sturgis rally once back in 2001 and it's "interesting" at least. Personally I would never go again during that week. Overcrowded, too much traffic, and while entertaining enough with tons of activities and stuff to see your ability to easily get around town and to visit the area sights is so compromised with traffic and crowds it takes all of the fun right out of it for me. I would try to arrive the week before and maybe hang out for the first day or 2 of the rally or arrive in the last day or so when most others are leaving the area to go home. There is enough to see and do in the area anytime without the crowds.

Have a safe trip.

I look at Sturgis questions on the day the Iron Butt Rally started and wonder "why?"

Who would want to subject themselves to a concentrated area of riders of questionable skills and sobriety?

While I have zero interest in experiencing the Sturgis rally in all its glory I can fully understand why others may want to and/or even enjoy it. If it appeals to you or just want to be able to say you did it once then go for it. On the other hand if you want to see that part of the country and everything it has to offer then, as been said, showing up in that area during the rally might put a big crimp in your plans.

Is getting to that area a must this year or are your plans malleable? If you have other places you can go this year and the rally isn't a must then I'd hold off on that area and strongly suggest attending BigJohn's Red Lodge Rendezvous in 2020 instead. On your way out from NY you'll pass all the highlights you mentioned including Mt. Rushmore along with many other places, even the town of Sturgis sans rally if you'd like. You'll then also get to meet up with a bunch of great folks from the Forum and travel around Montana, Wyoming, Yellowstone, etc all with the help of some local guidance from like-minded people. As far as I know the last time this gathering was held everyone raved about it and it should nicely accomplish what you're hoping to do sight-seeing wise if not more. If the stars align I'd definitely like to join in again.

My bad-ass Harley friend went 2 years ago to Sturgis.

"I'm NEVER going back!"

Why?

"It's become pussified. Anytime you have sidestep to avoid a baby stroller, it's pussified!"

While I have zero interest in experiencing the Sturgis rally in all its glory I can fully understand why others may want to and/or even enjoy it. If it appeals to you or just want to be able to say you did it once then go for it. On the other hand if you want to see that part of the country and everything it has to offer then, as been said, showing up in that area during the rally might put a big crimp in your plans.
Is getting to that area a must this year or are your plans malleable? If you have other places you can go this year and the rally isn't a must then I'd hold off on that area and strongly suggest attending BigJohn's Red Lodge Rendezvous in 2020 instead. On your way out from NY you'll pass all the highlights you mentioned including Mt. Rushmore along with many other places, even the town of Sturgis sans rally if you'd like. You'll then also get to meet up with a bunch of great folks from the Forum and travel around Montana, Wyoming, Yellowstone, etc all with the help of some local guidance from like-minded people. As far as I know the last time this gathering was held everyone raved about it and it should nicely accomplish what you're hoping to do sight-seeing wise if not more. If the stars align I'd definitely like to join in again.

Exactly the answers that I was expecting , For me is to say I PASSED BY , Iā€™m craving for mileage like never before , maybe cause Iā€™m in USA and thereā€™s never ending roads , maybe hang there for the opening 1st day and then continue to the Yellowstone park and beyond then going down to TX and heading back to FL

One of my goal is to meet some of you guys and see more than 1 FJR in the same spot

Went to lake George NY and Laconia NH and saw only 3 FJR and god knows I like to spot them

Well , hanging there is going to be a nice experience for a European , few friends went crazy when I told them

I have few questions :

Hows the weather ?

Google yields this wonderful magic webpage with the weather and forecast in Sturgis.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/57785

Google even shows fuel stations on their map by searching on the word "fuel".

https://www.google.com/maps/search/fuel/@44.4059205,-103.5424136,14z/data=!3m1!4b1

And Google even does super-duper magic and shows route suggestion from other cities like NYC. It's exact same technology I used to navigate from Paris through Bordeaux to St. Jean Pied du Port in 2017.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/New+York+City,+NY/Sturgis,+SD+57785/@41.2520415,-96.868698,5.5z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c24fa5d33f083b:0xc80b8f06e177fe62!2m2!1d-74.0059728!2d40.7127753!1m5!1m1!1s0x532d5b912e3b4203:0x2474459a3442ef6f!2m2!1d-103.5090786!2d44.4097069!3e0

And much like the A10...I-80 and I-90 have fuel conveniently located periodically....some of them even in dedicated stations and most west of Chicago are not on tollways. ;)
You went to the : pays Basque !! I guess you had good food , very nice place you went to next to Spain , cold cuts from that region are amazing !! Happy you enjoyed

jailingo - I've lived in Spearfish,15 miles West of Sturgis, for 25 years. During that time I'e sold Real Estate, ran the Board of Realtors and owned and operated a Honda and Yamaha Motorcycle dealership. I've been retired for 14 years, but have worked installing motorcycle windshields in Sturgis for the past 11 years. This will be my first year not working.

Sturgis is a town of 5,000 people. Sturgis and the surrounding 100 mile radius area will host over 500,000 people during the "Rally".

If you want to mingle with the unwashed masses, ride in massive congestion, experience high prices and get ripped off come toi Sturgis during the Rally.

If you want to experience the Black Hills, ride the good roads, see the sights and save a little money come before July 30th or after August 12th. If you come early you will still see a sampling of the Rally without getting ripped off too bad. If you come late the hordes will be gone and you can enjoy the Black Hills. PM me for more info if you are interested.

jailingo - I've lived in Spearfish,15 miles West of Sturgis, for 25 years. During that time I'e sold Real Estate, ran the Board of Realtors and owned and operated a Honda and Yamaha Motorcycle dealership. I've been retired for 14 years, but have worked installing motorcycle windshields in Sturgis for the past 11 years. This will be my first year not working.
Sturgis is a town of 5,000 people. Sturgis and the surrounding 100 mile radius area will host over 500,000 people during the "Rally".

If you want to mingle with the unwashed masses, ride in massive congestion, experience high prices and get ripped off come toi Sturgis during the Rally.

If you want to experience the Black Hills, ride the good roads, see the sights and save a little money come before July 30th or after August 12th. If you come early you will still see a sampling of the Rally without getting ripped off too bad. If you come late the hordes will be gone and you can enjoy the Black Hills. PM me for more info if you are interested.
Exactly my experience. I have been at other times and also both a week or two before and after the rally. Already the prices were jacked and traffic was picking up. Riding the twisties behind an RV running at -10mph (or more) of the already-low limit is frustrating. It's maddening when it's a pack of potato-potato-ers (who should know better).

Exactly... I rode my old Sportster to Sturgis 11 years ago but it was a couple weeks before the party when it was wide open and quiet.