Sudden 2014 FJR1300A starting, running problem. Canister issue?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I would wrap up this thread. My 2014 seemed to fix itself, and was running OK. Then I let is sit for a couple of weeks when I was out of town. I tried to take it for a spin when I returned. I Made it to the gate of our development before it started breaking down, sputtering and finally quit and wouldn't start. I had it taken to the dealer to figure out what the problem was, being convinced that it was some kind of electronic breakdown or bad module or computer. The problem was embarrassingly simple. Apparently there was a lot of water in the gas tank. When the bike sat the water settled out to the bottom. I think I know where I got the bad gas with water in it, and now I avoid that gas station. I couldn't see the water when I looked a while back, but I guess the lesson is to eliminate the simple and easy things first.

I thought I would wrap up this thread. My 2014 seemed to fix itself, and was running OK. Then I let is sit for a couple of weeks when I was out of town. I tried to take it for a spin when I returned. I Made it to the gate of our development before it started breaking down, sputtering and finally quit and wouldn't start. I had it taken to the dealer to figure out what the problem was, being convinced that it was some kind of electronic breakdown or bad module or computer. The problem was embarrassingly simple. Apparently there was a lot of water in the gas tank. When the bike sat the water settled out to the bottom. I think I know where I got the bad gas with water in it, and now I avoid that gas station. I couldn't see the water when I looked a while back, but I guess the lesson is to eliminate the simple and easy things first.
Good result. And, thanks for letting us know the outcome.

I had the exact symptoms of my 2007 and found cleaning out the vacuum lines (negative pressure hoses) to the air intake pressure sensor, also replaced the Throttle position sensor, solved the problem completely. I rinsed the hoses in gas and got a lot of crud out. Had 86,565 miles on. Some early signs were low idle and poor catching on start. The gas milage started to degrade as well, not much but looking back it was there. Probably should have put new hoses on, but it was back to working and there was riding to be done. Hope this helps
I have an 09 with similar idle and running issues. I just checked most of the vacuum lines and didn't find any crud. Where is the throttle pos sensor? On the right end of the throttle rail? Any photos? Thanks.

I have an 09 with similar idle and running issues. I just checked most of the vacuum lines and didn't find any crud. Where is the throttle pos sensor? On the right end of the throttle rail? Any photos? Thanks.
Check an online parts fiche if you don't have a service manual. Can't tell anything by looking at a TPS and failures aren't common in Gen II. Not the first thing to replace.

Did you check for fault codes?
Is yours a California model?
Only on startup?
Always or only sometimes?

Last edited:
It wasn't the TPS. The OP had water in the tank. My next best guess would be clogged/ pinched tank vent hoses.

Check an online parts fiche if you don't have a service manual. Can't tell anything by looking at a TPS and failures aren't common in Gen II. Not the first thing to replace.

Did you check for fault codes?
Is yours a California model?
Only on startup?
Always or only sometimes?
Excellent RossKean.
Fault codes, not yet.
Ca model I don't think so by looking at the bottom of fairing.
Rough running is getting worse and now 99% any throttle setting. For awhile it would smooth out above 3krpm, but not now.
Fuel is clean, tank is clean. Have not yet checked the plugs or replaced ignition plug wires.
From the description of TPS Failure being random that describes my running for the last 3 months. But now unrideable.

I did find the tps on the right end of the valve shaft.

I really appreciate your trouble shooting advice to all of us. Best regards.

If there is crud in the vacuum line, it is most likely in the short piece of tubing that connects to the MAP sensor.
#12 on this fiche. The air pressure (MAP) sensor is #17.
(TPS is #18)

https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/50046b1ff8700209bc796959/intake-2
Fault code 14 is most common if the vacuum hose is plugged.
Did you look at all stored codes?
Did you use the diagnostic function to look at TPS output or other items?

Read this, if you haven't already done so:
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/diagnostic-codes.9612/
This was my experience with plugged vacuum line:
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/fault-code-14-gen-ii-solved.170314/Referenced earlier in this thread.

As mentioned, TPS problems were not unheard of for Gen II, but more common with some Gen I and early Gen III.

Could still be lots of things...

Good luck

Latest posts