Summer gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on my second pair of Aerostitch Three-Season gloves. There's a reason why I, being a glove-whore, bought a second pair of the same gloves.

Of course, looking at their site, I don't see those gloves. Guess they discontinued 'em.

Shit.

Here are a couple of things to consider FWIW:

I considered the Rider Wearhouse elk skin roper gloves for hot weather riding after reading about them in the catalog. Then one summer, I found myself on the road just west of Garden City, KS, my hands sweating in what was then my only pair of gloves, a pair of lined Alpinestars. I stopped at an interesting agricultural supply store just to shop around, and there, on the glove rack, were several pairs of gloves identical to the Rider Wearhouse product, for sale at about $15.00.

The ad in the old catalog, I recalled, mentioned that elk skin roper gloves were manufactured by an agricultural glove company in Washington state, and, sure enough, so were these. I am sure they are the same product. I sprung an extra buck and got an even better pair of elk skin gloves, having a second layer of elk leather where the thumb and forefinger meet to resist the kind of wear a rope might create as it slid through. These were quite a bit more comfortable in the Kansas summer than my lined gloves, but still left something to be desired.

The ag gloves served me OK for riding, but they were better for working in the yard. They were still hot on very hot days, and didn't feel like they would stay on for long in a crash. Their best feature was their price, considering the surcharge that I would have paid if I had ordered them from Rider Wearhouse. They were assigned to double duty manual labor/motorcycle riding and wore out at the finger tips after a couple of years. I wish I could find them again at a Cal Ranch or Tractor Supply where I Iive.

The summer after I bought them, I got tired of hot sweaty hands in the elk skins and spied a pair of Frank Thomas mostly mesh gloves at a motorcycle supply store near Boise, ID. Mistakenly, I purchased them based on my hand size in the air conditioned store. Back outside in the heat, I soon realized that I should have bought a size larger. Still, having the extra ventilation was much more comfortable, even though they fit like support hose on heat swollen hands. The Frank Thomas gloves were relatively inexpensive, but cheaply made, and they started to come apart after one season. That's when I decided to go first class and bought the Held gloves.

They really are quite nice, and have been getting even better each year for three years or so. I really appreciate the feel of the kangaroo skin palms.

Since my hands are pretty essential to control of the motorcycle, and might well be the first things to hit the ground in a crash, I consider a good pair of gloves to be worth the price, even in the summer.

WBill

I really like my Held Calibur gloves. Not perforated but have ridden wearing them in 100+ temps with high humidity days without a problem. The comfort & crash protection is incredible and well worth the $200+ price.

My hands always get hot and I had a problem finding the right summer glove. When I was at Motorcycle Outfitters in Tellico Plains, he suggested the Tour Master Deerskin leather gloves in the tan color. They are great. They look like they would be hot, but they are not. They do soak up water like nobody's business and that is my only complaint, but that's not what they are designed for.
Unfortunately Motorcycle Outfitters in Tellico Plains is no longer in business.

Interested in this as well. Was looking at the Tourmaster Dri-Mesh, which are supposed to be waterproof mesh (I know, seems like an oxymoron), but I saw people complaining about the breathable liner not staying put when you remove your hands. For now, I'm wearing some el-cheapo mesh gloves and would like to get some better ones.
Tourmaster Dri-Mesh gloves are not very waterproof. OK in light rain but soak through in heavier rain. They don't flow much air either. They are pretty warm above 70 degrees.

In my brief experience, if gloves are rain-proof they're hot. I ride with simple leather work gloves that have been known to completely saturate from sweat in August.

Praise for the Motoport racing gloves is tempting, and I have a serious Kevlar lust.

I like my Racer High End Gloves...but they have discontinued it.
I bought Racer High Ends on your recommendation and love 'em. Got some Racer Roxy's for summer use from STG. Most comfortable glove I've ever had and they breathe nicely. I have big hands and got XXXL. I think they still have them on closeout for $19.95 in that size.

Recently bought some Held Air Stream II gloves, they were pricey, but I've been very happy. Great fit, materials, and flow a large volume of air.

I have two pairs of the older First Gear Mesh Tex gloves. I love them. I probably have 45k on the first set and they're still going strong. Hard knuckle protection, goat and cow leather. They are great in the heat. I bought the second pair because they were getting hard to find. Haha...The new model looks like it's cool too.

Another Lee Parks DeerTours user, like RDG20. Tough and reinforced in the palm and knuckle area, super comfortable, truly warm in the winter, cool in the summer--as much as that's possible, at least. If you ever go to the Progressive show in San Mateo they're always there. I think if you try a pair on you'll be a customer. And I know it's a little hotter in Redding, but not that much. ;)

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-octane-s-moto-gloves

I got these a couple years ago and hated them instantly, but forced myself to at least try to break them in. After a couple weeks of rain and sun, they formed perfectly to my hands and have become the best pair of gloves I've ever owned. Leather does that, it stretches and conforms itself. Just don't buy loose leather gloves.