Summer Jackets, Pants, and Gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrstphrM

ChrstphrM
Reaction score
I am in the market for summer gear. I am mostly a fair-weather rider. I will ride when it is as cold as in the 50s but can bulk up mid-layers for those rare occasions. Mostly I ride when it is in the mid 60s and warmer. And, I avoid rain like the plague. I want some protection but I want to remain relatively comfortable on summer rides when it is in the 80s or even the 90s. I've been riding in shirts and jeans without gloves so anything will be a serious improvement. Still, I am really looking for summer gear that won't leave me in a pool of sweat.

JACKETS - The Klim Induction and the Klim Marrakesh are my top current contenders but I am interested in everyone's thoughts. Do you have a favorite jacket? What's the best thing you have worn?

PANTS - The Klim Marrakesh and Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion are my top current contenders but, again, I'd really like some input from anyone who owns these or others they like.

GLOVES - The Klim Induction gloves are on my list, but otherwise I am all over the place on gloves. I need touch screen capability for pinch zoom on my android phone which is also my GPS. Any suggestions?

OK... Let me have it!

UPDATE 2022.05.14
Yesterday, I rode nearly 40 miles to try on the Klim Induction and the Klim Marrakesh jackets.
I bought the Klim Marrakesh in black because I like that it looks less like a standard ADV jacket than the Induction and the 4-way stretch material makes it comfortable.
I rode there and it was about 83 degrees out when I arrived. By the time I finished shopping, it was about 86 degrees out.
I swear, the Marrakesh performs some sort of black magic. I was not overheating in it. In fact, I felt like it was generating a tiny bit of moisture, evaporating it, and cooling me.
I rode there with a t-shirt only and rode back in a slightly hotter environment with the jacket over the t-shirt and I swear I actually felt cooler with the jacket.
Hense my black magic comment.
Either my brain is playing tricks on me or this jacket is crazy amazing. I really think it is the jacket. This jacket ain't cheap but it is worth every penny in my opinion.

Last edited:
I was surprised how much airflow I get through my Aerostich R3 suit. It's unlined, and has GoreTex, so it's waterproof (so far). Being breathable, it is advertised as being cool in the heat, but I am a born skeptic. I have a couple of Cortech mesh jackets and pants, and they do flow quite a bit of air. However, since buying my R3 suit a year and a half ago, I haven't touched my older mesh gear. Even with all the vents closed, I can't believe how cool I am, even into the mid-80s (country riding, not city). Above the mid-80s, opening the vents results in comfort I didn't expect in such a heavy suit. Just my thoughts.
Edit add: I have been really happy with the RST TracTech Evo R CE Gloves. They aren't overly warm, but they appear to have really good protection for the money (touch screen compatible, too). I only have two hands, and I don't want to lose either one.

Last edited:
I have a pair of perforated Cortech gloves with armoured knuckles and have been really happy with them. I also have a set of olympia "waterproof" gloves with thinsulate I use for cooler weather. I like these also but eventually in the wet my hands are soggy. Yes I saw that you avoid the rain and I sure try to do that also...but...when I'm out on a multi-day ride it's hard to not find rain at some point. Klim makes gloves that will actually keep your hands dry regardless of how long you ride in the rain. They cost 3X what I paid for my Olympias but the Klims actually work. You might consider having a pair just in case.

I have a Klim overpant and jacket which work very well but the ventilation could be a little better IMO.

Take this as just my experience and opinion. I hear you saying that you are in the habit of riding in shirts and jeans, so I'm focusing on your point of making SOME improvement. It was very hard for me to make the shift to MATGMATT (most all the gear, most all the time) from lots of years riding in shirt and jeans. It's really hot and humid in Western KY in the summer and if I commute my short ride, it's a pain to gear up heavy. BUT I do know gear makes a difference in an accident, so I have trained myself to instill the following habits at least...

I now always wear a jacket and gloves even when commuting in 100 degree heat. It's quick and you get used to it. I'll comment on what I wear later. I wear good pants and boots always when I take a trip. I don't wear pants and boots for commuting unless it's in the 30s. They say most accidents happen 1 mile from your house so I marked the distance off and I am really careful in that spot. I'm kidding, of course. I don't ever have traffic on my commute so at least I have that going for me.

If I was in a city I wouldn't ride without good pants.

You've got to decide what you are willing to establish the habit of wearing. I find that the one thing that makes gear hottest is the padding that makes it safe. My coolest jacket is a cheap Joe Rocket that isn't even mesh, but it has very little elbow padding and shoulder padding. I don't take it on trips anymore because of the limited padding. A friend quit riding and sold me a newer version of the same Joe Rocket jacket but with good pads. I hate it and it is my hottest jacket. I had a nice Cortech mesh jacket but the heavy padding made it my second hottest jacket and I also couldn't/wouldn't wear it. My go-to for a few years was a Rev-IT Horizon adventure jacket. Even though it is not a summer jacket, I found it to be cooler than any of my other padded mesh jackets. I actually wore it out and it started falling apart so I got a Rev-IT Sand 3 which is supposed to be like it but it is a little hotter. I decided to get a good quality summer mesh jacket and got a Klim Induction jacket. It is only a touch cooler than my Sand 3 and I think it is hotter than the old Rev-IT Horizon. I wear the Klim Induction on hot days and it feels hot but I can handle it.

I do something else bad, I guess. Sometimes when it's hot, instead of wearing good padded pants, on a short trip I wear a pair of Klim mesh pants made for motorcross with very little padding. I think that is a lot better than jeans, at least. They are really comfortable and have awesome airflow even over jeans. I wear mesh Rev-IT pants on long trips and they feel pretty good and have good padding but I've had quality problems with two pair.

And gloves? I mostly wear cheap Alpine Stars with limited knuckle protection when it's really hot. I have a couple better pair that I am working on getting used to wearing more. Still even limited protection is MILES better than no hand protection.

I have never owned an Aerostitch but if you can afford it and think you would wear it, that might be a good option. I think about getting something like that once in a while.

Taking a step towards better gear is a good step. But no gear is magically going to keep you from being in an accident or from getting hurt. My advice is to always take a step towards improving instead of stretching too far beyond what you can maintain. My track suit is far safer than any other gear I have, but I sure as heck will NEVER commute in that. It's all relative.

My experience is similar to Goodman’s. I grew up riding in shorts and t-shirts on hot days. I’ve been on the pavement a few times but luckily it’s been on cool days when I had something on. I’ve been moving toward more thoughtful apparel over the years and am currently at: always gloves, usually a padded jacket and occasionally padded pants. Mesh helps, but it’s a struggle in 90+ degree heat. Especially with humidity. I have not gone the full Monty with Aerostitch and damp under layers, but the thermodynamic physics is compelling. Not exactly a commute setup which is 80% of my riding. Maybe when I retire and go pro on the LD circuit.

I ride in LA freeway traffic. I wear a jacket only in cold or rain. So almost never. I want to feel unprotected. My only protection is my helmet and gloves. And most important thing is the belief that every motorist is a split second from killing me because I'm invisible to them. I also never never pretend any road is a racetrack. Got that out of my system. I'm 63.

I know a lot of riders do treat the road as a racetrack and wear the appropriate gear. But a racetrack is a lot safer than any road. Whatever you wear doesn't save you from a tree or cement wall or car door or getting run over.

Best solution for the hot summer days of Georgia is a good set of mesh gear with a cool vest under the jacket. You will think think you are in a car with the AC on as long as you are moving and have good air flow. Usually have to re hydrate the vest about once every 2 hours. Get one at Cycle Gear.

Be sure you get a jacket and pants that zip together. If (heaven forbid) you find yourself sliding down the road at 55 mph from a deer that took you down without any warning you'll real glad you did.
I know I was.
I just returned a jacket because its zipper didn't fit the pants I already had. I'd never encountered that before. My pants are Tour Master Venture Air, and all my jackets have been either Tour Master or their "upscale" brand, Cortech, and I've never had a problem with joining jacket to pants. My recently purchased Cortech Speedway Hyperflow Air would not attach, though; its zipper had much narrower teeth. It did come with the pants counterpart for the zipper that could be sewn onto the pants, but I wasn't going to replace that pants side zipper and make the pants unusable with everything else I have.

I don't know if that was a unique situation for some reason, or if there's a "going cheap" trend in jackets to make the "standard" zipper smaller than it used to be. I do know there is a "going cheap" trend in jackets where the spine armor is optional now, and the thermal liner for those jackets is now a vest only, no sleeves. Both of these trends absolutely suck sweaty balls. I've kept the wind and rain liners from my ancient Cortech HRX jacket, which even though it doesn't attach to my current jackets like it would to the HRX, I can wear it inside any other jacket like an under-jacket, and have a long-sleeved quilted thermal liner instead of a vest for those evenings down in the 40s and 50s.

I ride in LA freeway traffic. I wear a jacket only in cold or rain. So almost never. I want to feel unprotected. My only protection is my helmet and gloves. And most important thing is the belief that every motorist is a split second from killing me because I'm invisible to them. I also never never pretend any road is a racetrack. Got that out of my system. I'm 63.

I know a lot of riders do treat the road as a racetrack and wear the appropriate gear. But a racetrack is a lot safer than any road. Whatever you wear doesn't save you from a tree or cement wall or car door or getting run over.
But good gear will keep your skin where it belongs, good luck with that in your no gear policy. I wish you all the best...really.

10-4 on the good gear. All it takes is one time seeing a buddy go down, and if you have even a small portion of functioning brain stem left, you will do the associative and deductive reasoning and come to an obvious conclusion. My buddy washed out the front tire on some sand, in a maneuver that was between 3 to 8 mph, and skidded his elbow and forearm on the pavement. He only slid a foot or so because of the low speed. With blood running down his forearm, we rode to the next town and got some gauze and tape and wrapped him up. He had a thick, crusty scab for about 6 months. It would crack open once in a while, and it would have to crust over again. At work, he would instinctively lean his elbow or forearm on his desk while typing. Ouch......for 6 months or so. I am a sissy, so if I can avoid pain, I usually try to. The next week, my buddy ordered an Aerostich suit, and wore it on every subsequent ride.
Sorry for the rant. But if discomfort from heat is an issue, heed the advice from the mountains of wisdom of all the great people on this forum. You had the brains to request information, so use those responses as a guide. Vented or mesh or whatever, cover your hide to protect it from God's own cheese grater. But, if you don't want to, that's your own business, not mine. Good luck.

(Add: Just read your opinion of the gear you tried. Good for you. Ride safe).

Last edited:
Not going to highjack the thread totally with our wreck yesterday but our gear likely saved my wife’s life. The only thing we had skimped on was short cuff gloves for both of us. The only broken bones we have is my wrist and her wrist, forearm and fingers.
It isn’t magic but my belief in its ability went WAY up.

Not going to highjack the thread totally with our wreck yesterday but our gear likely saved my wife’s life. The only thing we had skimped on was short cuff gloves for both of us. The only broken bones we have is my wrist and her wrist, forearm and fingers.
It isn’t magic but my belief in its ability went WAY up.
Unless I missed it somehow I didn't see anything about this. Hope the two of you are ok and thankfully you were not more seriously injured. Not ready for anymore bad news after JWilly.:oops:

Goodman4, hope you and your wife are healing and i’m sure a story to follow. Let me keep this simple, “dress for the crash, not the ride”. Yes, its hot here in GA as earlier mentioned, with high humidity all over the south. ANY mesh or textile jacket with vents open will work and a good pair of gloves, boots and a pair of riding jeans (with armor). just make sure the gloves have palm protection as a this is most likely the first to touch pavement. I just bought the Sciopion Optima Jacket. Waterproof outer shell with inner thermal liner, which can be removed. with vents open, it doesn’t flow as much air as I would like (during hot temps 90+), but 90% of our riding gives me protection (weather) but total upper protection. cooler temps, 55-80, I like wearing my Alpinestars leather jacket, as we all know leather is best. In total 3 season jacket, I bought a Sedici (cycle gear) adventure jacket, great price and comparable to the more expensive jackets on the market with great protection. I also just upgraded to a Schuberth C3 Pro helmet. Stay safe everyone and yes, we all like to wear what makes us comfortable, but I don’t like medical bills for “rash”. it’s not IF you will go down but WHEN. I’ve taken plenty of soil samples in the dirt, so I’m pretty experienced on that end of the spectrum.

I like my Klim Induction jacket, but cannot figure out why Klim didnt put a zipper in it to attach to pants, or for that matter why they don’t make Induction pants..

Ditto on the Klim jacket (Texas oven rider). My riding pants did come with a rear zipper along with the other half which could be sewn onto the jacket. Haven't done it yet, not sure if I will.