Summer riding Pants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuddydud

Reaction score
I ride in the SE, an area of high temps and humidity. Can anybody recommend a summer riding pant: tan/silver. taupe, etc colored, non water resistant, with armor? Much obliged.

Pants? You don' need no steenkin pantz. Just wear the tighty whiteys. Gets more attention than loud pipes.

But seriously folks, I've been wearing some Draggin Jeans and, frankly, they aren't so cool. The Kevlar patches are hot and scratchy. They do look more or less like regular streetwear, if that's important, but the trade-off of real protection for cooler comfort isn't working for me. I'm shopping for some summer pants, too. Olympia?

pete

Got a set of these pants and have been pretty happy. The armor tends to slip a bit, but will be correcting that soon with a little sewing. Cooler than jeans temp wise. Very happy with the purchase.

I just ordered the Olympia Airglide Pants. Give them a look. They are arriving tomorrow so I can't provide a personal opinion, but check them out.

+1 on the Cycleport. They offer the kevlar mesh overpants, but they also have kevlar jeans. Several options from them are available and the protection is excellent.

I have these. On a really hot day, I just wear shorts or even just undies underneath, and I'm cooler than you would be in jeans. Black isn't bad as long as I'm not standing still in the sun, but when I buy riding gear again I'm going with a light color. Even if a reflective color doesn't amount to much, every little bit helps when it comes to staying cool in high heat conditions.

https://www.newenough.com/street/protective...ycle_pants.html

I've tested these on 95+ days and they are the best I've had.
https://www.newenough.com/street/protective..._overpants.html

They come in tall sizes which is one of the things that attracted me.

+1 on the FirstGear HT Air Over Pants and +1 on the Tall Sizes availabel. Also, you can order a CE approved upgrade for the knee armor from NewEnough as well.

I also have the First Gear HT cool weather over pants and like them as well.

I recently visited the Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters shop in Tellico Plains TN. They have an enormous selection of Olympia clothing in stock, probably the largest I've ever seen in one spot. Was able to try on the Pewter colored Olympia mesh pants.

Just so happens, the FieldSheer sales rep was there too. They have stopped making the Silver colored mesh pants that I've been using. Seems not enough people understand that light-colored clothing keeps you cooler in the summer temps. He said there's just no market for it, everybody wants to wear black! Arrrrghhh!!!

My next choice is the Olympia mesh gear in the Pewter color. Shop owner said it's a very hot seller (pardon the pun). Unfortunately the Olympia gear does not come in lengths, so if you're anything but Tall, you must have the legs hemmed.

I stumbled upon a pair of "Alter Ego" Pants by Rocket at a nearby Dealer Sale Event... I love 'em...

I wandered around and and about in Niagara Falls on foot in 30C temps with the lower legs "velcroed up", above the knee armour for over 4 hours and felt pretty comfortable given the conditions... Yep, I looked like some "Biker Nerd" but that was all that it took to keep the edge off of the "internal temperature"...

When it hits 34C on a Charity Ride I can get kinda hot, but other than that, they are a great set of pants with a removable "airflow" strip that runs up the sides of the leg and around the back of your butt...

They've been good to me so far!!

Scott

+1 on First Gear. You could probably make them cooler by cutting out the pockets which would get rid of 2 layers of non-mesh material in the upper thigh/crotch area. Of course, you'd end up with change in yer boots... :lol:

I've been wearing the Tourmaster Venture Air's for two years. Very versatile, but the waist adjusters while looking substantial aren't. Paid $20 to have them reinforced. They are sized for BIG ASSED people. Looks like your wearing a snowmobile suit!

When it comes time for replacement I'll be going Moto/Cycleport. The last few days I've been helping out a LD Rider in the hospital who went offroading. A couple of busted ribs and a broken vertebrae in his neck. He was wearing Motoport Stretch Kevlar. Not a scratch on him, and seeing first hand where he went off the highway at 60mph - The guy rides with angels. Very convincing on the value of Motoport gear.

I recently visited the Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters shop in Tellico Plains TN. They have an enormous selection of Olympia clothing in stock, probably the largest I've ever seen in one spot. Was able to try on the Pewter colored Olympia mesh pants.

My next choice is the Olympia mesh gear in the Pewter color. Shop owner said it's a very hot seller (pardon the pun). Unfortunately the Olympia gear does not come in lengths, so if you're anything but Tall, you must have the legs hemmed.
I got my Olympia Airglide 3 Mesh pants the other week. I got the pewter color and love them. They flow a good amout of air. I am tall and these pants are long on me while standing, but perfect length while sitting in my riding position.

I will be putting these pants to the real test starting Sunday. I am doing a Saddle Sore ride from VA to Tampa.