summer travel through Texas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyd's Auto

Reaction score
i am planning a trip from Whitehorse Yukon down through to Canada to Sante Fe NM then down to Guadlupe Mtns the east to ride Twisted Sisters then to the east coast up to the dragon and points between final destination of Ottawa Canada. My question to Texans et al pertains to riding through Texas in late July early August, is it too hot? i have ridden through Death Valley at 110 F, but for the most part have ridden in the shoulder seasons when in Utah, NM and Arizona. Any recommendations or advice would be great.

Mike

'14 ES the black one

That is the hottest part of the year with early August being brutal. It varies by year but the UV index on sunny days along with dew point and humidity is hard to ride through. It depends on tolerance but nothing close to enjoyable by any standards. Cover all skin and hydrate, do not ride at night.

Right now in North Texas we are enjoying a cold front which knocked off 15 degrees and some moisture, I doubt it will make it south to the Hill Country until maybe September.

^^^^ what he said.

The better option for you is ride up there until October. Then ride down here October thru May and then go back north. :)

Thanks, I usually ride mid-September in the south but next year I don't have that option and really want to do this run across the southern part of the US. I will weigh out some discomfort balanced with the opportunity to do this ride.

Mike

BTW: I checked when I heard Norman Redus call it "Twisted Sisters" and confirmed that I wasn't the only one who had never heard it called that. Everyone I know has always called it the "Three Sisters".

A google search said that there is now an AKA of TS though it will always be The Three Sisters to us.

https://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/555/Texas/The-Three-Sisters-(AKA-The-Twisted-Sisters)--Ranch-Roads-335-336337a.html#sthash.NgXoHloL.dpbs

To the OPs original question. It's certainly doable but most of the people I hear complaining about the 90 degree heat are from northern origins. In N TX, late July to late September are the hottest parts of the year with it not being uncommon to have more than a week of 100+ degree temps (we've had a month continuously). It starts sooner and last longer the farther south you go. I rode in 102 degree temps in April along TX 171 (River Road).

Deer have gotten VERY dense populations throughout Hill Country over the past 10 or so years. Some roads I've sadly taken off my list. Slow enough to be safe and they are boring. Fast enough to be fun and they are unsafe (deer mostly... even during the day).

FM1431 between Jones Town and Marble Falls is nice. East of Jonestown there's a southerly cutoff called Anderson Mill Rd. Follow it S to the westerly intersection of Lime Creek Rd. Hugging the eastern side of Lake Travis, LCR's technical turns and decreasing radius curves are more than enough to keep you on your toes. It used to be a blast but the last time I was there it was so poorly maintained and the surface was trashy enough to cause grip problems. Loads of deer in broad daylight too. Fast is unsafe. Safe is boring. In its heyday though... It's always worth a look-see but pre-ride it first to get a feel for conditions.

Here are some interesting suggestions too:

https://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Texas_119.html?page=1

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always pick up one of Garuald's hydration units. I used a 3L Camelbak stowed in my tank bag along with an evaporative cooling vest while traveling back from nafo. They worked well and made 102 degree days more tolerable. It was still hot traveling, but it staved off heat exhaustion.