Summer/Vented Pants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt H

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of Olympia Air Glide 3 pants and (mostly) like them, but am not completely sold (I'm still in the 30-Day Return window). The knee armor is adjustable, but the range/mechanism of adjustment is less-than-ideal.

I like the fact that they are mostly vented, look pretty tough and have a zip-in liner that "stops" air-flow for when it cools a bit.

I would love any recommendations for other options in "summer" type riding pants.

Thanks in advance!

I just got a pair of Tourmaster Venture Air pants.

I'm liking them (mostly). They have two liners: A wind-blocking liner, and an insulating liner.

The knee armor is adjustable, but, like the Olympia's, the range mechanisme is less-than-ideal.

In short, six of one, half-dozen of the other, I guess.

I recommend you keep the Olympias. No riding gear is ever perfect, and I have too many pants, boots, jackets, gloves and helmets in my closets and think anything else. Whatever gear you replace these with will have some fault you'll discover later on. But the Olympias are the most comfortable warm weather riding pants I've ever had, and the liners--if you have them--extend them to a full three-season capability. I have a full set of MotoPort/CyclePort kevlar mesh gear, and while it's more protective, it's very stiff and bulky and very tough to layer, so I don't wear them too often.

The Olympias wash great, too, and dry easily in the dryer. I don't even bother taking the pads out. I lost the jacket liner on a trip a year or so back, and when I called, the owner gave me a super deal on a replacement. Great service.

I wear Joe Rocket Pheonix 3.0 but i also wear the Pheonix 5.0 mesh hi-viz jacket so use the zipper too

They don't have liners and don't have adjustable protection - but for the price work for me

I have the Olympia Airglide women's pants and love them... very versatile and the fit, for me, is perfect. Before these, I wore the HT2 Overpants which I was very happy with. I have a used pair for sale (men's 38T) if you're interested. :)

I also have the Air Glide pants and I really like them. They almost flow to much air on hot summer days. Sometimes I feel like my thighs get to much hot air off the bike.

I have to agree with some of the prior comments in regards to the Airglide pants..............keep them. I am on my second pair.

"The knee armor is adjustable, but the range/mechanism of adjustment is less-than-ideal"

I don't have the airglide pants due to the limited adjustment for me of the knee armor.

I guess my knees are in the wrong place. I wound up with Rev'it Tornado because they

can be ordered in either short, standard or long. They still have an adjustment range for

the knee armor. I do like the Oylmpia Airglide 3 jacket and have a second brand new one

hanging in the closet when the first one wears out.

About the adjustment mechanism, the Tornado's have a pocket for the armor that is adjusted

with velcro. I set the armor location once and have had no need to revisit it.

About washing your gear. I find the jacket and pants flow much more air in hot weather

if I wash out the bug guts out once in awhile. I don't bother in the winter.
smile.png

I wear Joe Rocket Pheonix 3.0 but i also wear the Pheonix 5.0 mesh hi-viz jacket so use the zipper too They don't have liners and don't have adjustable protection - but for the price work for me
I have the same gear. They seem to flow air pretty well. Both of mine have liners though. Weird, huh?

I use the Tourmaster Flex pants and the Intake jacket. I like the zip off panels on the pants so that if starts off chilly and then warms up you can remove the panels without removing your pants. This is the only brand that I have tried but I will consider looking at other brands when it is time to replace this gear.

I am in the market as well - we'll be spending a week in the Ozarks this summer and as good as the 'stich is ... I am looking for something that flows more air.

Rather than drop $300 on mesh jacket/pants I'm leaning towards a 2-pc perforated leather suit which can double-duty on track days.

Anyone riding with perforated leather?

With regard to the knee padding position, how is it when you actually ride?

I find that standing or walking around, the knee armor on my Olympia Air Glides can sag a bit, but as soon as I'm on the pegs it is right where it belongs. The pants are too long standing around too. LOL

Oh, and for most of us, suspenders are your friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gear is so much about personal preference.

I bought a set of Revit vented gear and love it! Same as yours with the water resistant liner, which for me makes me sweat like crazy. The FJR runs so freakin hot that I simply overheated myself in standard Cordura or heavy gear. Gear is good, I see so many riding in flip flops and tanks or shorts when it is hot...yikes

Good luck!

Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar pants. Lots of armor and flows a ton of air...not the most attractive, but beats a hospital stay. I'm very tempted to try Motoport's stretch kevlar pants as my jacket of the same material works great into the 90s.

YMMV

--G

I bought the Tourmaster Air Mesh pants last year and they are now my year round pants. They have a zip in rain liner and insulated liner.

They have a zip in rain liner and insulated liner.
As I said in the second post in this thread
tonguesmiley.gif

So far, I'm liking them quite a bit. Are they better than the Olympia's? I'm not sure it's worth the OP's time and money to return the pants he bought.

My Olympia Air-glides are year-round for me. With the liner in, I'm comfortable down to 10 degrees F on my 25-min commute. I bought them specifically because of the adjustable knee armor, and the ability to hem them to suitable length. Pockets are decent size, too. During warm weather, they flow just enough air to keep me comfortable. If you've got 30 days, wear 'em a lot and see if you warm up to them (so to speak).

Latest posts