SW-FOG 2012 - Official Announcement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://cograilway.com/ Do any of you want to ride Pikes Peak Cog Railway with Seth and Chuy on 7/20? We're going to take a 10:40am train up to the Summit! It's 2.25 hours and 110 miles from the Gateway Suites to the Railway Depot at Manitou Springs.

We'll depart from hotel lobby at 0745 hours on Friday. Return run to Salida we'll take a dead head route to Cripple Creek and Victor to check out those Historic Colorado Towns on Highway 67. Cog Railway fare is $35.00. Let us know the PM before, please.

https://cograilway.com/Pikes%20Peak%20train%20videos-B.htm Here are a half dozen videos of the train ride up and back.
Did anybody sign up? Is it operating even with the fire?
As TripperMike already updated, no issues at this point. US-24 is open all the way from Colorado Springs to Woodland Park. The fire is currently 98% contained. They're waiting for some some to die down on Blodgett Peak before they declare 100% containment: https://www.inciweb.org/incident/2929/

Westbound US-24 did close for a few hours yesterday due to a mudslide after some heavy rain (no more trees to hold the water back), so keep that in the back of your mind. Worst case, you'd be able to go south a little bit and take either I-25 (boo) or CO-115 (yay) to US-50 back into Salida.

BUMP REMINDER!

One week from today at 0745 sharp we are kickstands up and clutches out from the Gateway Lobby parking lot heading to Manitou Springs to ride the Pikes Peak Cog Railway 10:40 am train. Just got off the phone with PPCR and the train schedule is fully operational and they said all roads from Salido to the Depot are now open!

For those of you that enjoy preprogramming the routes into your GPS's: I recommend we got to the Train Station by the southern loop which is Highway 50 Eastbound through Canon City, turning north on CO-115 at Penrose and then back West on Hwy. 24 to PPCR.

Gateway Inn & Suites Address: 1310 East US Hwy. 50, Salida, CO Pikes Peak Cog Railway Depot, 515 Ruxton Ave., Manitou Springs, CO 80829

Our return route to Salida will be via Highways 24, 285 & 291. At Divide, Colorado we'll take a deadhead Southbound on Highway 67 to tour Cripple Creek; perhaps a late lunch-snacks stop there.

https://cograilway.com/ Do any of you want to ride Pikes Peak Cog Railway with Seth and Chuy on 7/20? We're going to take a 10:40am train up to the Summit! It's 2.25 hours and 110 miles from the Gateway Suites to the Railway Depot at Manitou Springs.

We'll depart from hotel lobby at 0745 hours on Friday. Return run to Salida we'll take a dead head route to Cripple Creek and Victor to check out those Historic Colorado Towns on Highway 67. Cog Railway fare is $35.00. Let us know the PM before, please.

https://cograilway.com/Pikes%20Peak%20train%20videos-B.htm Here are a half dozen videos of the train ride up and back.
Did anybody sign up? Is it operating even with the fire?

Last edited by a moderator:
Our return route to Salida will be via Highways 24, 285 & 291. At Divide, Colorado we'll take a deadhead Southbound on Highway 67 to tour Cripple Creek; perhaps a late lunch-snacks stop there.
Since you're going that way, be sure to stop in at the Cripple Creek Heritage and Information center before you go down the big hill into the town itself. From this direction, it's situated as an easy in/easy out. There's a lot of fascinating history about the mining history in that area, including a 2-3 story tall scale model of how deep the Mollie Kathleen gold mine is (which is across the street, and they offer tours)

Since you're going that way, be sure to stop in at the Cripple Creek Heritage and Information center

Duke will enjoy a stop here, they are dog friendly! :D

We leave Kingman on monday, hollbrook Az on tue morning (Go'n up through chuska mtns), farmington nm on wed morning (through pagasoa springs to Salida) Anyone want to join us along the way, let us know!

Since you're going that way, be sure to stop in at the Cripple Creek Heritage and Information center before you go down the big hill into the town itself. From this direction, it's situated as an easy in/easy out. There's a lot of fascinating history about the mining history in that area, including a 2-3 story tall scale model of how deep the Mollie Kathleen gold mine is (which is across the street, and they offer tours)
+1, Gunny; thanks for this recommendation Scott, we will definitely stop there on our way into town!

Recreate & Jer would like to ride with you and Seth to the Pikes Peak Cog Railway. See you soon! :)

2 more have joined us in the ride to Pikes Peak, if you want to go just be ready to ride at 0745 on 7/20!

Leaving Albuquerque soon baby...soon!
And Albuquerque begins celebrating.

biggrin.gif

https://weather.aol.com/forecast/7-day/us/id/81201 Pack your rain gear Kiddos, we are going to get wet at SW-FOG 2012!
Maybe, maybe not. it's only 30-40% chance...and in the Colorado mountains, the rain showers are extremely scattered. The good news is that it usually lasts for about 30-45 minutes, then it's gone. :)

But you never know where it's going to be, so indeed, pack some rain gear!

Recreate & Jer would like to ride with you and Seth to the Pikes Peak Cog Railway. See you soon! :)

2 more have joined us in the ride to Pikes Peak, if you want to go just be ready to ride at 0745 on 7/20!
Sounds like your ride to Pikes Peak is gaining some more legs for others to join you. Hope you don't mind, but I've listed your trip as one of the "group rides" on the itinerary: https://www.sw-fog.com/itinerary.php

Leaving Albuquerque soon baby...soon!
And Albuquerque begins celebrating.

biggrin.gif
That was mean and uncalled for. I'm now putting you down on my "list." AND I'm sad.
Brother Mick, don't worry; HotRodZilla's "Meanies Who Hurt My Feelings List" is the size of the New York City phone book; which has the same number of pages as the "FJR Forum Folks Who Dislike Fred W List"! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Bambi and I are in Santa Fe right now, leaving around 10:00 AM tomorrow morning from the Phillips station across from El Dorado on 285 if anybody wants to ride along. Probably going to take the scenic route along the way instead of heading straight up 285

Jeff and Jackie

Well I'm sitting in a motel just South of Knoxville, TN. By now I think I've got a pretty good idea where CO is so I think I'll try heading West tomorrow. Not sure yet if I'll be stopping tomorrow night in Garland, TX to visit with a brother and his wife, or take a more direct route to CO.

Either way my wife and son will most likely arrive before me on Thursday, so please try not to scare the crap out of them. Heck, I'm afraid you folks might even scare me a bit. Either way, looking forward to "meetin' ya'll" (brushing up on my Texas accent).

Mike

Well I'm sitting in a motel just South of Knoxville, TN. By now I think I've got a pretty good idea where CO is so I think I'll try heading West tomorrow.

Good plan, West is good, I think you'll fit right in......

Either way, looking forward to "meetin' ya'll" (brushing up on my Texas accent).

Mike
OK, lesson one (even though I'm from El Lay, I leart how to speek Texican)

If you meet one of us someplace, it's "Ya'll"

Find more than a couple of us together and it's "All ya'll", the pural :D

OK, reading comprehension is a good thing. I just saw your IBA number. You're more that 1400 miles out on some of the most mind numbing roads in the country so you know what you're up against. Good luck! We'll see you there Thursday

You've all probably left ALBQ already but just wanted to say ride safe and I'll be seeing U on Friday.

Well crap Bwana...C and I left Albuquerque a little later than I wanted those morning, so we're sitting in Espanola getting lunch. Talked about going through Pagosa on the way up, but maybe we'll just do the boring straight shot. If I'd of known you guys were in Santa Fe, we woulda met up.

Armand, we'll see you on Friday, right??