SW-FOG 2017?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been to Colorado in the last two years and had no major problems. When riding Colorado, you have to stay away from busy places, like National parks and tourist type cities like Telluride. We had a problem in Telluride. And I was in Colorado when NAFO was going, only on more deserted roads and a couple days earlier. My only question is "are the deer a problem?".

Oh ya: The third weekend in September (14-17) would be great. PU on way home from EOM.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Gunnison. Quality Inn has 54 rooms at a reasonable price ($89 dbl queen). Maybe we could negoiate a better price. I never get tired of these roads:

jNAzvwe.jpg

How about Gunnison. Quality Inn has 54 rooms at a reasonable price ($89 dbl queen). Maybe we could negoiate a better price. I never get tired of these roads:
jNAzvwe.jpg
Not a bad idea blufjr. Those are some good rides that I've done in the past. The room rates are lower than what it would be in Estes Park if you are flying solo but doubling up in Estes Park is good too.

It sounds like you could be volunteering for the organizing committee.
good.gif

For some reason, people seem to shoot Gunnison down. No idea why, because I've stayed there a few times and always liked it. Only issue I see is those are the exact same roads we hit for NAFO. For me, I've been on them a LOT, so I don't know that I'd go, just to re-ride the same spaces. Still, good roads, I've just been on them a lot.

For some reason, people seem to shoot Gunnison down. No idea why, because I've stayed there a few times and always liked it. Only issue I see is those are the exact same roads we hit for NAFO. For me, I've been on them a LOT, so I don't know that I'd go, just to re-ride the same spaces. Still, good roads, I've just been on them a lot.
Agreed AJ, good roads and well traveled.

That leaves Estes Park or any other suggestions? Would the eastern Sierras be considered too far west for SW-FOG? I've always wanted to do the "Going to the Sun Road" (Glacier NP).

The best part of these rides, is the paths taken to get to the rally.

When I was organizing SW-FOG a few years ago, I looked at Gunnison, and the summer rates for hotels were pretty high. Which is how I settled on Salida, which was relatively close, but with cheaper hotel rates.

Estes Park.

Promise me a ride though Big Thompson Canyon with no traffic and I'm IN!

Well, looked into hotels at Estes park and Gunnison and things are sort of expensive. Plugged in dates June 29- July 1st and September 28 - October 1st and the lowest I could find that would accomodate a big group and wasn't too dumpy was starting at $130. Don't know if all can afford that but thats the starting point at those times of the year. Haven't asked for a group discount as wanted get some feedback. ??????

Costs keep going up at motels in western towns near any popular summer destinations. I mean like 2x in the last 5 years or so. Best Westerns I used to stay at for around $100 are like $180 now... So I tend to stay in shithole non-tourist "destinations" like Rifle. The Rodeway Inn gets you a place to sleep for $70 or less, walking distance to a Super Walmart, and right off the highway that gets you to some primo spots. https://www.choicehotels.com/colorado/rifle/rodeway-inn-hotels/co276

Clean linens and a hot shower that's all I want.

Not like I spend a lot of time in a motel room anyway.

Question? Can we do Toas again? I missed that T-Shirt.

I've been to two of the Gathering of the Clans, but seems like they were always being cancelled or postponed. The GWTC rides are always fun, except for the ride home from Barstow East is usually sucky! But the ride is worth it.Would someone share with me what the YFO (Yo-so-mite) used to ride up there a couple times per year year back in the 1970's before it was so political and governed full of rules & regulations on my Kaw 1000! "We Were Soldiers Once and Young"

But I'm not as dumb as AJ! For a dumb guy, AJ is always fun to have around!
For YFO, see post #9 in this thread. SacMike posted a link to it.

GOTC has continued... 2015 was in Santa Cruz, last year was in Redding. Keep up, fly boy. ;)

OK, just got back from a ski trip to Steamboat Springs. It would be a great place to rendezvous in the Summer or Fall. Great rides in from every direction and there even could be a day ride to Estes Park. Lots of hotels, great restaurants, and one of the best hot springs in the West. Any takers?

OK, just got back from a ski trip to Steamboat Springs. It would be a great place to rendezvous in the Summer or Fall. Great rides in from every direction and there even could be a day ride to Estes Park. Lots of hotels, great restaurants, and one of the best hot springs in the West. Any takers?
Make it happen and people will show up.

I would find a hotel before you announce dates....the last time I was there everything was very expensive.

OK, I stayed at the Steamboat Mountain lodge for $99.00 a night. It is rated 4.2 out of 5 on hotels .com. For the 29th thru the 1st of July they have a listed price of $107. I'm not stuck on those dates other dates might be cheaper---- That's without asking for a group discount. I will vouch for the comfort of the beds (they are memory foam). they have a small breakfast-conference room and hot tub and ample parking lot off the street. Rex's across the street is a great restaurant and Strawberry hot springs is 7.2 miles away.

Hmmmmm-----looks like everyone is looking for someone else to put this together?